THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

Dutchy

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 11:38 pm
@msolga,
Howard is not wanted and got everything he deserved after what he did to the working people of this Country. I'm surprised he didn't take the hint after being dumped in the last election.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 01:52 am
Dutchy

The behaviour of the ICC towawrds John Howard has absolutely nothing to do with John Howard's performance as Prime Minister in this country.

I'm surprised at you!
dlowan

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 02:21 am
@margo,
margo wrote:

Dutchy

The behaviour of the ICC towawrds John Howard has absolutely nothing to do with John Howard's performance as Prime Minister in this country.

I'm surprised at you!

You cricket tragic, you!

Actually I disagree.

And I think it partly relates to one of the GOOD things he did as PM, and that was to denounce the appalling actions of the arse-hole running the unfortunate country of Zimbabwe.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 02:27 am
@msolga,
Ha!!! They're marketing to dem furriners who think of us as a cute kind of wild-life.

It's gross...but we're happy if they come and hand over their money, no?

They're giving them what they expect.

If we had any gonads we'd start a "Racist ad" thread....but it's an own goal!!!

Talk about watermelon and fried chicken.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 02:29 am
@margo,
Oh Margo...I do apologise!!! You knew all the stuff re the ICC already.
Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 02:39 am
@margo,
Quote:
I'm surprised at you!

I'm not at all surprised at Dutchy's attitude, margo.

That's probably because I'm not into cricket at all, but heavily into Oz politics.

You are super-heavily into cricket & have a complete aversion to politics.

Dutchy has a keen interest in BOTH, which makes him an expert! Very Happy Wink

But seriously, though ....

I find it difficult to feel any sympathy for JH at all (even though he was perfectly right about taking a stand on Mugabe). Or any outrage on his behalf, either. I have so much loathing for him for Iraq, the GST, WorkChoices, etc, etc, etc ... that I really like the idea of him being relegated to a nobody on the world stage. I have a hunch there are others within the world cricket fraternity with similar enlightened ideas to his (about cricket politics). I'd prefer one of them got the job.

Sorry margo, I honestly can't help feeling that way. Though I can understand perfectly where you're coming from. Me, I despise the man & all he stood for. (Same as I despise Blair & Bush.)
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 02:48 am
well I never voted for Johnnie, but as for this episode: it was simply not cricket.
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 03:05 am
@jeeprs,
I don't know too much of the behind-the-scenes information, apart from what margo's posted here, jeeprs. (Not, as I said, being a fan of cricket.)

Have you been following this issue closely? Another cricket enthusiast?
jeeprs

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 03:18 am
@msolga,
Didn't really cross my radar until today, but according to the ABC it has to do with Indian politics, and possibly Howard's prior criticism of Zimbabwe. It seems to me it is grossly insulting to refuse the services of a former national leader without even giving a reason. Pretty shabby, I would say. Although I am no cricket tragic....
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 03:31 am
@margo,
Everybody is entitled to an opinion, I have stated mine, I respect yours and the other correspondents here.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:38 am
Our news said that Mr Howard did not get enough support from the voting members. We might respect the opinions of those who rejected his appointment.

We can only guess as to their reasons. Cricket, and sport in general, is multi-racial and is doing more to combat racism than all the high-flown homilies from liberals added together.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:24 am
My opinion is that NZ lobbied quietly behind the scenes. There was a time when NZ was expecting Ando to be the candidate but Johnnie stuck his hand up and said pick me, pick me, pick me.
NZ got done over by big brother Aust, didnt like it but still had to accept it otherwise there would have been a big stoush between NZ and Aust and both would have lost.

Quote:
Should CA and NZC decide to admit defeat on Howard, it is likely that former NZC and ICC administrator Sir John Anderson would be sought again, having lost out to the former Australian prime minister in a selection process that was hotly-debated by the two countries.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/howards-bid-for-icc-presidency-still-alive-20100701-zp1k.html

Quote:
Chief among Clarke's frustrations was the lack of any reason given for Howard's rejection, but Indian board sources have indicated that the most powerful cricket-playing nation was fearful at the prospect of an ''outsider'', an independent voice, in such an influential position.

''Frankly, we did not want an outsider to meddle with the ICC,'' an official from the Indian cricket board (BCCI) said.

Ando is in my opinion the better man for the job
BTW the fat lady hasnt sung yet.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:35 am
Of more concern should be the Australian world cup bid.
Gifts for FIFA executives paid for by australian taxpayers. 2000.00 pearl neclaces fort wives if FIFA executives that are then hidden in the audit process for government grants.
jobs promised for Sepp Slatters daughter. 10's of thousands paid to enable trinadad and tobago under 20 team to visit cyprus. paid for by Aust world cup bid team.
I'm really getting quite Pissed off at the snouts in the trough

Shade of the olympic games.
jeeprs

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:45 am
@dadpad,
I reckon we should concentrate on something more likely to happen, like our first manned mission to Mars or the mythical Joh Belke Peterson car that runs on water.
dadpad

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:53 am
@jeeprs,
I think the bid is dead in the water Jeep. dead and smelly. This is one of those "what were they thinking" moments.

How did the FAA ever begin to believe that FIFA would take the World Cup to a country where the round ball holds 4th or 5th spot after netball, cricket and 3 other codes of football?

jeeprs

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:06 am
@dadpad,
well I hate to be a spoilsport, and have two boys that have played the roundball game since age 5, but I reckon, all things considered, it is not the Australian forte. I suppose the improvements the Socceroos have made in the last 5 years are pretty amazing, but we will never be truly big time in that particular form of physical culture, I'm afraid.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:11 am
@dadpad,
Quote:
How did the FAA ever begin to believe that FIFA would take the World Cup to a country where the round ball holds 4th or 5th spot after netball, cricket and 3 other codes of football?

Well, a lot of fun can be had and a lot of attention garnered by mounting the bid despite knowing it has no chance. It's easy believing in something which produces fun and attention.
spendius

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 03:05 pm
@spendius,
Do you Aussies not know that one of your own is wearing the yellow jersey in the Tour de France?
Dutchy

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 03:12 pm
@spendius,
Cadell Evans and Mark Webber are a couple of locals making good overseas, once they win the Tour and The Formula One we may get excited.
spendius

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 03:16 pm
@Dutchy,
But the latter has a European car which another might drive as good.

Cadell Evans only has his legs.