THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

margo

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 08:37 pm
I was travelling in France in, I think, 1987, (1984?) when there was a previous stock market crash short of thing.

I couldn't work out what had happened to the exchange rate - I used to get about 7 francs to the dollar, and almost overnight the boards were showing me only about 4. I just presumed the boards were wrong and went on my merry way. Bit of a shock when I got home.

That's the trouble of travelling in a country where you can't easily grasp the news.

I probably should get some pounds before the bottom drops right out of things! It's a pity I'm not going anywhere the Euro is used. Still cheaper than it was in 2007 in Italy.
0 Replies

ragnel

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 09:48 pm
@msolga,
This is fabulous news!

Aren't you really glad?

Boo hiss, Coles Home Brand! What's that stuff masquerading as meat in their offerings, hmmmm?

Quote:
Tests reveal pies meatier than before
Updated 2 hours 35 minutes ago
ABC news online.

New tests have found meat pies actually contain more meat now than they did four years ago.

Consumer watchdog Choice tested 20 frozen meat pies available in supermarket chains nationally.

Only one, the Coles home brand, failed to meet the minimum 25 per cent meat content standard. ... <cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/21/2905435.htm
ragnel

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:07 pm
@ragnel,
Sorry for that glitch. I did not intend to quote all of your post, but it got away from me and was posted - have no idea how that happened.

However, I shall go on as I intended.

I have been off the air for a couple of weeks changing over to a new server and, as usual, nothing went right. All is well now. I was going over recent posts to see what has been happening and came across the exchanges about meat pies. While I have no wish to flog a dead horse - (please pardon the rotten pun) - could you tell me if you would really eat a meat pie that looked like the one pictured?

Perhaps I have been spoiled but with Four'n'twenty, Big Ben, Sergeants, Herbert Adams, etc, etc, etc, in abundance, I cannot imagine eating such a dried out, greyish-with-whitish-blobs offering.

What is the consensus?
Dutchy

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 03:24 am
@ragnel,
Change to Vilis pies ragnel, you won't be disappointed, they're available Australia wide. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 06:26 pm
In the mood for a bit of cultural cringing? Check out the latest ad from Tourism Australia below. (I'm thinking of applying for a job there .. anyone could do better than this, surely? Heck, I can sing better, too! Very Happy )

However, I now have a crazing for a Chokito. The ad before Tourism Oz's ad:

Quote:

Stone the crows, are they fair dinkum about this flamin' ad?

June 1, 2010/the AGE

WHAT the bloody hell were they thinking? Tourism Australia's latest advertisement for the global market, if you'll listen to its critics, casts us as a nation of tone-deaf bogans caught in a '70s time-warp in which kangaroos get around in herds rather than mobs. ...<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/stone-the-crows-are-they-fair-dinkum-about-this-flamin-ad-20100531-wrgf.html?autostart=1
margo

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 08:32 pm
At least it doesn't direct us to throw a shrimp on the barbie (what did little people ever do to deserve that?)

There's been worse.
msolga

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 08:39 pm
@margo,
Oh yes, there's always worse that can be found! Wink
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 03:00 am
A big night in sport.
Sam stozer in the french open
Aussie V US world cup practice match in Sth Africa.
C'mon Aussie!
farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 08:50 am
@dadpad,
I want to plant some "suckers" sprouting from cut logs of PAwlonia trees. Can I just snip em off and stick em in soil with a rooting medium?

Oz , to me, means at leats one sharp dude who knows about trees better than our american arborists
spendius

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 04:53 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I want to plant some "suckers" sprouting from cut logs of PAwlonia trees. Can I just snip em off and stick em in soil with a rooting medium?

It's highly likely fm. It works with everything so I should imagine it does with PAwlonia sprouts. I'm not sure a rooting medium is necessary except for garden-centre owners.

You don't need any sharp dudes.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 05:24 pm
Wah!

Sam Stosur lost!
Socceroos lost - to the bloody U.S.!

Thank God for the Wallabies - clobbered Fiji 49-3
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 07:21 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

do you mean shooting from the stump?
Treated as cuttings they should root from the leaf nodes but you will need a greenhouse and possibly a heat bed otherwise it will take 12 months or more to get a decent root system.
research "growing plants from cuttings".
've found it more successfull with (tree type) cuttings taken in autumn but your more extreme weather changes may afect that.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:27 am
Look, Snow
http://ski.com.au/snowcams/australia/vic/buller/buller1.html
Dutchy

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:08 am
@dadpad,
I prefer the hot South Australian outback over snow dadpad. Smile
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/4638/outback.jpg

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 08:16 am
love this podcast, can be heard or downloaded at link
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/verbatim/stories/2010/2913639.htm
Herb Patten

Herb Patten was born in 1943 and spent his early years in a small town called Numeralla, near Orbost, in south-east Victoria. Part of the Ganai-Kurnai tribes of the Gippsland area, Herb is also descended from the Yorta Yorta and Wiradjuri groups from the surrounding country. But, as Herb says, his surname has German origins, and perhaps it's this rich cultural mix which led him towards a life in music, and more particularly, to the special art of gumleaf playing.

Herb taught himself to play the leaf when he was about eight, after hearing his great-uncle blowing a leaf in the bush near where the family lived. Since then, Herb has become a skilled and passionate exponent of this form of music. With academic Robin Ryan and others, he has also researched and written about the history of gumleaf playing in Australia.

In this interview Herb talks about his years growing up among his extended Aboriginal family, the role that music has played throughout his life, and the art and skill of blowing a gumleaf.

Visit Australia Ad Lib, an interactive guide to the wild, the weird and the vernacular in Australian music.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 08:41 am
Quote:
near Orbost, in south-east Victoria.

thats close(ish) to me.
djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 09:01 am
@dadpad,
cool, i love the history podcasts, especially if they deal with aboriginal topics, not sure why, just interesting to this canadian
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 07:36 pm
So (not being remotely a cricket tragic) should we feel "snubbed" & "insulted" by our John being knocked back? (We know he cared more about cricket than anything else on this planet!)

Sounds like a number of other cricketing nations are not at all fond of him. It's all such a mystery, isn't it?

Wink Twisted Evil :

Quote:
Howard snub 'an insult to Australia'

Updated 2 hours 12 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200907/r396437_1856519.jpg
Snubbed: John Howard with ICC president David Morgan during an Ashes Test in Cardiff last year (Getty Images: Hamish Blair)

Former International Cricket Council boss Malcolm Speed says world cricket's governing body has insulted Australia and New Zealand by blocking former prime minister John Howard's vice-presidential bid.

.... "I think Mr Howard is entitled to feel angry."

Mr Speed, a former head of the Australian Cricket Board, said the decision to blackball Mr Howard had been "very poorly handled".

He said Cricket Australia was "seeking to break the mould" with Mr Howard's application.

"They wanted a man of character and substance," he said.

Apart from Australia and New Zealand, only England supported the move to install Mr Howard as vice-president, a move which would have seen him automatically become ICC president in 2012. ......

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/01/2941696.htm
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 08:49 pm
I don't know about "snubbed" or "insulted", but yes - we should be concerned. And you don't need to understand cricket in the least.

The politics in the background of this are a bit dramatic.

An interesting view is Peter Roebuck's column, in today's Herald:
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/howard-dismissed-by-a-low-full-toss-20100630-zmtk.html?autostart=1

2 main issues - Howard may be perceived as racist, and that's why the black nations boycotted him, but the background and probably driving scenario is the stand he took against Robert Mugabe and the corruption in Zimbabwe

They didn't want someone who was likely to identify the widespread corruption in cricket in the African region.
msolga

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 10:30 pm
@margo,
Thanks for revealing the details, margo. Much appreciated.

It sounds like we should be supporting him! Surprised

I dunno, it's a big ask ....

Give me a minute.

I might sleep on it, then decide! Very Happy