THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:18 pm
@dlowan,
So do I! Razz

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:14 pm
Pay no attention to the crappy article. But please consider checking out the video in the link below. The new baby elephant is just exquisite! We are quite besotted. A mere photograph doesn't do her justice. Very Happy :

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/02/09/1105541/600-elephant18-600x400.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/call-for-help-to-name-melbourne-zoos-baby-elephant-20100217-o9s3.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:29 pm
It's the 24th of February. Anyone Vindalooing Against Violence tonight?:

Quote:
"The idea is that you just go to your local Indian restaurant and just dine on Indian food as a way of embracing the Indian community," ...
..."You can have this show of force that thousands of people are doing this same thing at the same time."...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/29/2804805.htm

I think my friend & I will have a quick, early Indian meal at the little restaurant at the end of my street. We've been there heaps of times. I hope it's not too crowded tonight, though.

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:31 pm
@msolga,
We!!!

12 of us.

I booked a couple of weeks ago.

Not sure if it's taken off here.

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:37 pm
@dlowan,
12 of you, Deb! Very Happy

That's what I call enthusiastic vindalooing!

A flash Indian place or just a quite local place, like me?
dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:50 pm
@msolga,
Well, it's pretty local, in that it is in the middle of the city, and that's local for me!

I am not sure what it is like...here's the website

http://www.thevillagerestaurant.com.au/

But when I try to go there, it tells me it has exceeded its bandwidth, and it won't open.

A couple of the folk going tonight recommended it.

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:16 am
@dlowan,
Bandwidth problems here, too, Deb, so I can't see the information, either.

Anyway, enjoy your evening. I'm sure I will too, though won't be a long meal out. Just doing my duty at my local. Smile

It'll be interesting to see how this idea takes off!

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:13 am
@msolga,
Check google!!!

It's big:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8503416.stm

Quote:
Victorian Premier John Brumby joins Vindaloo against Violence campagin against racist Indian attacks

Amit Tuteja from Indian restaurant Desi Dhaba with Dinesh Nettur from the Police multicultural unit are both backing the 'Vindaloo against Violence' campaign. Picture: Chris Scott Source: Herald Sun

JOHN Brumby is among thousands eating curry today in a campaign against racist violence, as youths were linked to a "curry bashing" gang.

The Vindaloo Against Violence campaign is hotting up today as at least 16,000 people eat the hot and spicy favourite in a symbolic show of support for Indians in Australia.

The campaign is the brainchild of web designer Mia Northrop, who has generated a huge level of support on Facebook and Twitter.

Are you taking part? Tell us below.

The campaign comes as suburban youths have been linked to a gang whose members allegedly attacked two Indians.

Full story here:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/victorian-premier-john-brumby-joins-vindaloo-against-violence-campagin-against-racist-indian-attacks/story-e6frf7kx-1225833938969

(There seem to be facts emerging re perpetrators of the violence....let's hope there are arrests soon)

Quote:

Vindaloo Against Violence Day declared at Qld Parliament
By Melinda Howells

Posted 2 hours 52 minutes ago

Ms Palaszczuk has told Parliament that MPs were challenged on ABC radio this morning to participate in "Vindaloo Against Violence" day. (ABC TV News - file image)

Queensland Members of Parliament have been challenged to take part in national "Vindaloo Against Violence" day, with a special menu on offer at the Parliamentary canteen.

The event is part of a community protest against racially motivated violence and racism.

Disability Services Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk has told Parliament that MPs were challenged on ABC radio this morning to participate.

"Dishes will include Tandoori Chicken, Vegetable Pakora and of course Beef Vindaloo," she said.

"Spencer [Howson - ABC Brisbane's Breakfast show presenter] nominated Vaughan Johnson, the Member for Gregory, and I nominated the Deputy Premier Paul Lucas - so the challenge is on.

"Perhaps the chef can come up with an extra hot vindaloo to test their mettle, and Mr Speaker perhaps you can adjudicate."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/24/2829133.htm

Quote:
Vindaloo vocation currying favour

Is the humble Indian curry the answer to stopping racial violence
They say food brings people together, and one Melbourne woman is working on just that as a way of denouncing racial violence in the city.

Mia Northrop has organised an event called Vindaloo Against Violence, which urges Melburnians to dine at their local Indian restaurant on February 24th as a way to show solidarity with the city's Indian community.

"The idea is simply for everyday people to come together to support their immigrant communities in a very Melbourne way: through great food," Ms Northrop writes on her website.

"Let’s signal to the Indian media and other international observers that everyday Australians do not accept racially motivated violence and racism."

The User Experience Consultant thought up the concept after returning home from living overseas.

'Horrifying' reports

She had seen the reports coming out of her home city and was 'horrified' at the idea of Australians being portrayed as racist thugs.

The 35-year old, who isn't of Indian heritage, set up the event shortly afterwards.

Full story here:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1179402/Vindaloo-vocation-currying-favour

Official site:

http://vindalooagainstviolence.wordpress.com/

Have you registered Msolga?

Be cool if there were HUGE numbers, no? I registered my lot.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 03:32 am
8:30 pm & I'm back home!

THAT WAS FANTASTIC! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

When C and I arrived at the restaurant at 6: 30, every single table (in rather a big place) was either occupied or booked. Incredible! Surprised
I've been there lots of times, the last time on a Saturday night just a few weeks ago. The place was 1/4 full, at the most. Same as usual.

Tonight the place was buzzing, we were lucky to even get a table - luckily some people were leaving just as we arrived. "Hello", I said to the waiter, "We've come to vindaloo against violence!" Big smiles all around.
I've never seen those Indian guys smile so much as tonight. I've hardly ever seen them smile at all, for that matter.

So, if one of a number of Indian restaurants in my suburb was packed out (with people waiting outside, even) & this was happening all over Oz .... then this might have been huge! Very Happy

I think they might have gotten the feeling for the first time, in my little suburb, that we don't hate them at all. We're on their side.

That was such a good experience. What a buzz! (Oh & we had Tandoori Chicken, a vegie curry, heaps of steamed rice, raita & chapatis. Yum.)

dadpad

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 03:39 am
ms olga please go back again in a day or so for me.
msolga

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 03:41 am
@dadpad,
OK, I will, dadpad. Very Happy

No Indian restaurants in your neck of the woods, I gather? That's a shame.

It was such a good feeling, I can't tell you ...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:18 am
@msolga,
WONDERFUL!!!!!
msolga

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:20 am
@dlowan,
Yes?

Got a minute to tell me a bit about it, Deb?
msolga

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:38 am
@msolga,
Maybe tomorrow then, Deb.
I'm outta puff & need to go sleep now.
dlowan

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 08:29 am
@msolga,
Oh...we had great fun. But we were not aware of any other diners doing the same.

ALL the restaurants were packed...it's Fringe time...soon to include Festival proper and Womadelaide.

Everything is hopping!
msolga

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 04:40 pm
@dlowan,
Well at the very least you had a great night with good friends, Deb. And you all knew what you were supporting! Smile
Dutchy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:09 am
@msolga,
Hi msolga, how's your day been going?
msolga

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:14 am
@Dutchy,
Not bad, Dutchy & you?

What've you been up to?

Me, probably a wee bit more A2King than I'd planned. I should stay away from threads about education, perhaps? They're traps! Smile

And I've just learned that tomorrow is another work day, so now I'm running around doing all the stuff I should have been doing today. Hey ho, so it goes.
Dutchy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:22 am
@msolga,
Been a bit of a couch potato and watched Vancouver live most of the day on TV. I love the speed skating but also enjoyed that brave Aussie lass win her gold medal in the Aerials. I still remember her from 4 years ago when she did her knee in, a remarkable comeback today.
msolga

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:28 am
@Dutchy,
You know, I haven't followed the Vancouver olympics at all, Dutchy. I feel rather the party pooper here, as I can see there's so much interest.
ehBeth was having trouble calming down, it was so exciting, last post I read from her.
Anyway, good on the Australian woman & her brave comeback, no doubt I'll here something about it on tonight's news.
0 Replies