When Donald Drumpf lies, I'm personally insulted.

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 09:29 pm
When "The Donald" lies about something that is easily verifiable, I feel personally insulted. It's as if he casts doubt on my hearing, memory, intelligence and perception.
It's not just the president. If anyone blatantly lies to me I feel insulted.
Does anyone else feel this way?
I expect Democrats to agree, but how about Conservatives and Republicans?

roger

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 09:33 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Thanks. I never really thought of it as an insult to my intelligence.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 11:58 pm
@roger,
I understand what he means, sometimes I just keep a poker face when someone lies to me. Sometimes all I really need to know is that person is a liar. At that point I know they can't be trusted. Of course there are many times when you or I have to call someone on a lie, they may try to stick with the lie but at the very least you've made your point.

But Trump? He's a walking talking festered carbuncle liar.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2018 04:13 am
@TomTomBinks,
His lies aren't aimed at you, but his base, and he, like the rest of us, knows they're as thick as ****.
TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2018 08:52 am
@izzythepush,
I know that they're not aimed at me. It's just when someone lies to you about something and they KNOW you know better, they are essentially calling you stupid. When Drumpf says something and it's on video, and then a month later claims he never said it, he's calling us all stupid.
He's calling his base supporters stupid, and they don't seem to mind it...
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2018 09:15 am
@TomTomBinks,
It's what they know, what they feel comfortable with. Imagine if they had to think for themselves.
TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2018 09:00 pm
@izzythepush,
Sad. Very sad and embarrassing. I take comfort in the fact that this will be over some day and we'll all look back and scratch our heads and say "What were we thinking?"
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2018 09:09 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

they're as thick as ****.

I don't believe they are "thick as ****".

Rather, I think they agree to share in the lie.
So I guess they're just "thick as thieves."

(Meanwhile, I wish the radio would just stop airing his dumbass sound bites.)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2018 01:36 am
He reminds me of a story I heard about a particular Chinese emperor who would tell his advisors that a horse was a cow. If they disagreed he'd have them executed, the message being the truth is what he says it is.

That's why we have terms like alternative facts and mood swings when things don't go his way.

It's also why he won't be visiting London next month. If he comes he will be given every diplomatic courtesy, but he wants more than that. He wants the British public to line up with little Trump flags like at one of his rallies, and that will never happen.
TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2018 09:07 pm
@izzythepush,
You know, if they (his lackeys) were threatened with death I could understand their spinelessness. But what do they actually have to lose? They are the worst kind of cowards.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 01:54 am
@TomTomBinks,
A lot of them are in denial, but a lot of them are racist, homophobic bigots. They like all the racist rhetoric, lack of sensible gun legislation and bellicose language.

I think a lot of his inner circle are more concerned with making money than sound governance.
TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 08:39 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't know how it is in the UK or anywhere else in the world, but in the US we don't seem to require anything of our leaders...
I mean if you need your car repaired you find someone who has the proper training, if you need dental work done you go to a reputable dentist.
But when we need to elect representatives or presidents.... it's enough if we think he's a good guy!
In order to run for any public office one should have some kind of training. Sociology, accounting, economics, ethics, history etc.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 02:03 am
@TomTomBinks,
We don't have direct leaders for the executive as we have a non executive head of state Liz. Basically the legislative chooses the executive. We vote for our MP knowing what party they stand for and who their party leader is. Then the party with the most seats forms the government, a bit like if you did away with the president and gave all executive power to the Speaker in Congress.

What that means is you have to be an MP to be prime minister, and to become party leader you will have had to have been an MP for some time, so they are all experienced in politics. (Doesn't mean they're any good though.)
izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 02:20 am
@izzythepush,
Just noticed my error, too late to edit, meant to write;

izzythepush wrote:

We don't have direct elections for the executive
roger

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 02:23 am
@izzythepush,
I just realized I made the same error. I read it as 'elections' the first time.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 04:10 am
@roger,
You didn't make an error, your brain corrected my error.

That's what comes of posting first thing before I've had my cup of coffee.
0 Replies