Yoga

eoe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:13 pm
I'm just getting into it and already loving it. Somehow, it satisfies my soul. Are there any other yoga practitioners on A2K?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,929 • Replies: 26
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:18 pm
I took a yoga class with my former husband because he was overweight, never exercised and smoked. He would never have gone on his own. I really loved but discovered that our marriage had deteriorated so much that I had to position myself somewhere in the class where I couldn't see him: I could no longer stand his movements. The class helped at a difficult time: it contributed to my ability to ask for a divorce. I haven't been back in more than 15 years: am looking forward to the time when I can practice again.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:29 pm
I practice kundalini yoga since late 2001.
It has helped me keep reasonably fit.
Sometimes meditation has given me awesome sensations.
0 Replies

fbaezer

I practice kundalini yoga since late 2001.
It has helped me keep reasonably fit.
Sometimes meditation has given me awesome sensations.
0 Replies

Synonymph

I love yoga, eoe.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:31 pm
Reading with interest. I have an unreasonable, knee-jerk reaction against anything trendy, so I am against yoga, but several friends have told me I would like it.

Question, how aural is it? How much do you depend on the instructor's voice?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:36 pm
It's quite aural, in my experience, since several of the exercises are done with eyes closed or semi-closed. Plus, some meditation exercises are done listening to music or chanting mantras.
But many exercises and series do not need sound at all.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:36 pm
Quote:
I have an unreasonable, knee-jerk reaction against anything trendy, so I am against yoga, but several friends have told me I would like it.

Soz- Trendy? I was into yoga in the late '80s. It is wonderful for flexibility, strength, and relaxation. I had a little yoga teacher who must have been 85 lbs, soaking wet. But she had lovely biceps, just due to doing yoga poses.

When I was doing yoga, I would get into "alpha" state. I was not asleep, but my brain was somewhere else. It was heavenly. One of these days, I should try it again, if the creaky bones could take it! Laughing
:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:38 pm
Right now it's trendy. Not saying it hasn't been before, too, but the last 5 years or so -- way trendy.

Thanks, fbaezer.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:44 pm
That's one of the reasons I'm taking it up, Phoenix. To avoid creaky bones. Or at least, keep the present creaking to it's minimum.

Another reason is, yoga has been around for thousands of years. There's gotta be something to it but like anything else, it's what you bring to the table that's going to determine the benefits.

Even watching others do it puts me in a pleasant trance-like state so I'm really looking forward to experiencing the full process.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:49 pm
I can understand your knee-jerk reaction, soz. I'm very much like that myself but wanting to experience yoga is way beyond trendy for me, personally. There's something so calming, so peaceful and graceful about it. The spirituality of it speaks to me. Way beyond something as frivolous as a trend.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:23 am
But now I can't resist the urge to go out and buy some cute yoga togs. That's where the trendy does comes into it for me because Target has a whole line of yogawear and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Just give me a reason...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:17 am
See? See? ;-)

(I know what you mean, though, that's where the knee-jerk comes in. "Ooh, that's adorable! If I start yoga I can... wait a minute!!")
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:32 am
There's nothing wrong with buying the pieces without the yoga, tho. Especially for a young mother like yourself. Comfortable, moves well and easy to get in and out of. I never purchased any because it was better to tease myself with it. Not until I take a class. So, now that I'm in a class, look out!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:37 am
True, true.

How many hours/week is the class?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:41 am
Just one hour a week. But I'm hoping to really get into it and practice on my own, as well.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 01:13 pm
Harvard does not allow faculty members and students who are more than 40 years old to use thier athletic facilities unless they have a note from the doctor and they have taken a yoga class.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 01:40 pm
Hmmmm.....why?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 01:43 pm
They want some guarantee that people are in reasonably good health and that they have some strength and flexibility.

Right now, I am once again with out a car and could actually use less exercise!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 01:51 pm
Good for you! Laughing
Actually, I mean that.

So the harvard folk are saying that a good ol' aerobics class just won't do, huh? How snotty of them. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies