Should the US adopt the Celsius unit of temperature?

centrox

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 01:38 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Gm is mass and Oz is weight

Grams and ounces can be mass or weight.
layman

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 01:38 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
grams and oz dont even measure the same thing. Gm is mass and Oz is weight, (which is mass divided by a rep..force of gravity)

There are about 5% of people who have any inkling of the difference between mass and weight (to where they could answer questions intelligently on what happens if there is no gravity).

Whether they are living under the imperial system or metric system makes no difference.

For all intents and purposes, most Earthlings use mass and weight interchangeably.

In Newtonian mechanics, "mass" has no independent meaning of substance, really. It is simply a book-balancing concept used in equations. It is "resistance to acceleration," whatever the **** that really means.

Since F=M x A, it must be true (mathematically) that M = F/A. So, the less an object accelerates when subjected to the same uniform force, the more mass it has. In theory.

Resistance to acceleration roughly corresponds to "inertia," but nobody has ever been able to satisfactorily explain the origin and mechanisms of inertia.

All you really end up with is circular definitions and proposition which are true by virtue of definition, i.e., tautologies.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 02:34 pm
@centrox,
No Centrox, "ounces" can not be mass. See dictionary.com (or any other dictionary).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 02:41 pm
@layman,
yeh what the hell.Lets let solution chemistry dye on the vine, because we dont know the diff between molarity and molality.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 02:42 pm
@farmerman,
Layman rejects pretty much all modern science. And he also apparently don't know what a tautology is (a definition is not a tautology).
farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 02:45 pm
@maxdancona,
looks like he's shortin me when he makes a martini
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 02:54 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

And he also apparently don't know what a tautology is (a definition is not a tautology).

I didn't say a definition was a tautology, Max. I said that a proposition that is true by definition is a tautology, e.g., "a bachelor is an unmarried man." Apparently you don't know what a tautology is, eh?
layman

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 02:55 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Layman rejects pretty much all modern science. And he also apparently don't know what a tautology is (a definition is not a tautology).

I don't "reject" modern science. I take it for what it is (and I don't take it to be what it aint), that's all. Hint: It aint math.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 02:59 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Go into a pub and order a "pint" instead of .5 liters, or a "shot" rather than 60 ml.

You don't order beer like that on the continent, small medium or large.

And the large is pretty large.

https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/G18AAOSwiYlaFaUk/s-l640.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 03:00 pm
@hightor,
Hashish has gone metric, used to come in 9oz blocks, now it's 500 grams.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 03:01 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
a bachelor is an unmarried man.

There was a kid at school called Dennis Batchelor (with a 't'). We used to tease him by saying "Your dad's a bachelor". He used to get really mad. It was 1963. Now he'd go "Uh?".
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 03:06 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Nobody on the continent puts on a lab coat and goes in a bar and says "five hundred point zero zero millitres of your finest, please, Monsieur (or Herr) Barman!" They ask for a demi, or a mezzo or a caña - a tanque if you're thirsty in Spain.

layman

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 03:09 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

Nobody on the continent puts on a lab coat and goes in a bar and says "five hundred millitres of your finest, please, Monsieur (or Herr) Barman!" They ask for a demi, or a mezzo or a caña - a tanque if you're thirsty in Spain.

I don't know what all that means. Here, when I'm powerful thirsty, I just order a "pony keg."
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 07:15 pm
@BillW,
Probably using Celsius would be a better idea than Fahrenheit, but I hope they don't. Every time I'd watch a weather report I'd have to have my calculator next to me to figure out what the temperature was.

It's bad enough using the metric scale for distance. Everytime I hear somebody saying so many centimeters I have to multiply by 5/2. I'm pretty much used to liters versus quarts now. When I heard the term liter I just think, well, a little more than a quart.
engineer

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 07:30 pm
@coluber2001,
It's just a matter of getting used to a new system. 0 is cold, 10 is cool, 20 is pleasant, 30 is hot, 40 is sweltering, no big deal. It's also no big deal to leave it like it is. If everyone around you has grown up with a system and it works, it really doesn't matter.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 07:46 pm
@engineer,
It is more precise in Fahrenheit. There is no advantage to Celsius. There is no scientific advantage to Celsius, and the Fahrenheit degrees allow for more variability while using integers.

0 is extremely cold
10 is very very cold
20 is very cold
30 is cold
40 is kind of cold
50 is cool
60 is mild
70 is pleasant
80 is hot
90 is very hot
100 is extremely hot

There are scientific advantages to using kilograms, meters and liters. The size of a degree of temperature is arbitrary.
ekename

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 09:20 pm
This is undoubtedly the best answer so far, conveying both the mood and erudition of many:

Quote:
I personally would oppose the U.S. adopting the Celsius unit of temperature. The reason is because (degrees) is what I am use to. When I hear what the weather forecast is going to be in (degrees), I will automatically know what that temperature is going to physically feel like to me.

Although I originally had high hopes for what I thought was going to be :

I have a 90 year old weighing machine, geez I hope I get to use it.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 09:33 pm
@ekename,
ekename wrote:

Quote:
Fahrenheit also matches my subjective experience of weather pretty well; 0F is the border of extremely cold, 100F is the border of extremely hot.

Celsius matches my understanding of temperature pretty well :

0ºC is freezing cold and 100ºC is boiling hot.

America should not adopt the Celsius scale because I like to double it, take away a tenth and add 32 to C.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1mlCPMYtPk[/youtube]

/quote]

Damn you, you posted my video.

Why did you have to get here before me?
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 09:36 pm
@maxdancona,
May I be permitted to add:

0 is extremely cold
10 is very very cold
20 is very cold
30 is cold
40 is kind of cold
50 is cool
60 is mild
70 is pleasant
80 is hot
90 is very hot
100 is extremely hot
150 is crikey it's a scorcher even the goannas are wearing thongs at the beach
212 is then simmer for 15 minutes
coluber2001

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 11:48 pm
@ekename,
It's bad enough the way the weather men have bunged up the temperature forecast with wind chill and heat index. They say it's 80 degrees but it feels like it's 90 degrees. Well what the hell does 90 degrees feel like because when it's 90 degrees it feels like 95 degrees etc. And heat index is just temperature and humidity; it doesn't take the wind into account at all. It's just a meaningless gimmick.