circumsision(SP)

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 04:05 pm
Ha! Didn't notice that. What does that mean? 23% of circumcised men wash, at all? Circumcised men wash 23% of the time?
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 04:13 pm
I'm not exactly sure what that means, but according to the last link:

" Circumcised men were more likely to have a secondary education or higher and were also more likely to have good genital hygiene on clinical examination compared with uncircumcised men. "

If both statements are true then frequency of clinical examination seems to balance out the statistics. If one of the statements is misquoted, then the other statement is true.

Dauer
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 05:12 pm
We know that the Jews have practiced circumcision ritually for thousands of years.
What I'd like to know... do the Muslims circumsize their male offspring?
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 05:18 pm
Generally yes. Some do it to their female offspring as well.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 05:48 pm
The two methods are not comparable. In female circumcision the clitoris is snipped off, which is like removing the head of the penis. And as I understand it, sometimes the vaginal opening is also sewn shut until it is ripped open in the first sexual contact between a woman and her husband. I quickly googled something on... google:

http://www.bettydodson.com/fgmintro.htm

Dauer
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 05:28 am
Magus wrote:
We know that the Jews have practiced circumcision ritually for thousands of years.
What I'd like to know... do the Muslims circumsize their male offspring?

yes
0 Replies

Max209

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 05:43 am
raheel wrote:
i mean so what if your circumsised? big deal! your no less of a man!

i'm not trying to say u are less of a man i dont think anyone who is circumcised is less of a man

i just see it as well not very nice to put it lightly
can i ask how old u were when u were circumcised?
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:02 am
i was circumsised when i was born.

the way i see it is there are 2 possibilities either i am a muslim or i am not.

there are another set of possibilities either i was circumsised or i wasn't.

if i was circumsised then it would not affect the other 2 possibilities- muslim/ not mulsim.

if i wasn't circumsised it definitely affects the possibility of me being a muslim and could also affect that of my not being a muslim if i chose to be a jew.

so it is better to be safe than sorry-

as if i became a muslim and was not circumsised then i would have to get circumsised- ouch!!

but my parents saved me from that- so i am glad
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:48 am
dauer wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what that means, but according to the last link:

" Circumcised men were more likely to have a secondary education or higher and were also more likely to have good genital hygiene on clinical examination compared with uncircumcised men. "

If both statements are true then frequency of clinical examination seems to balance out the statistics. If one of the statements is misquoted, then the other statement is true.

Dauer

I think that if both statements contradict each other it cancels both out. It means that it could go either way.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 04:38 pm
In yesterday's news was a story about a 50-year-man from Reno, Nevada, that castrated himself.
If ever I see a Burning Bush, I think I'll opt for earplugs and a fire extinguisher, thank-you-very-much...
0 Replies

Max209

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 02:23 pm
raheel wrote:

as if i became a muslim and was not circumsised then i would have to get circumsised- ouch!!

to be fair out of all the info you put on this page that quote stands out

if you wouldnt want to be circumcised now why would you want to do it to any kids
(note this next statement is not a question of your religous beliefs)

if you do have kids are you going to have them circumcised?
thinking about the quote above

i'm guessin it has to be done if you want to be a muslim?!!?

and if so will you be doing it for religious purposes or for "medical" purposes
(i put medical in quotations as it seems people have came up with 2 contrasting arguements about it being healthy or not)

and if it doesnt need to be done would you be doing it anyway and for what reasons ?
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 06:43 am
Raheel,

I was under the impression Muslims circumcise at a later age, when the child is grown enough to choose it for themselves.

Dauer
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 04:42 am
my statement means that if i had not been circumsised as a baby i WOULD want to be circumsised now- hence the ouch!

the ouch only shows my fear of the actual surgical procedure- but i would still do it.

THE OUCH DOES NOT MEAN THAT I WOULD NOT WANT TO BE CIRCUMSISED!

yes if i did have kids i would have them circumsised for religious purposes, but also for the medical benefits- if any?!

i understand why my parents did it to me and hopefully my kids would understand why i did it to them.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 07:47 am
dauer wrote:
Raheel,

I was under the impression Muslims circumcise at a later age, when the child is grown enough to choose it for themselves.

Dauer

depends where they are from - the muslims in this country who came from India/Pakistan circumcise their sons as babies.

Those from Somalia do it later when the child is a few years old. (they also practice female circumcision in their own country, which is extremely brutal)

It can only be done on the NHS for medical grounds - for religious or other grounds the parents must take the child to a private doctor and pay.
0 Replies

Max209

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 08:27 am
what is female circumcision
and what makes it more brutal than males?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 09:25 am
Max209 wrote:
what is female circumcision
and what makes it more brutal than males?

god, you really don't want to know......
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 09:32 am
Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is an invasive and painful surgical procedure that is usually performed without anesthetic on girls before puberty. There are about 100 to 140 million women who have been circumcised. An average of about four girls a minute continue to be mutilated. Their clitoris is partially or completely removed. This inhibits or terminates sexual feelings. It has been a social custom in Northern Africa for many centuries.

Many people link FGM with the religion of Islam. Actually, it is a social custom that is practiced by Animists, Christians, and Muslims in those countries where FGM is common. There are many Muslim countries in which the mutilation is unknown.

FGM is occasionally performed in North America on girls of families have immigrated from countries where FGM is common. An analogous practice, Intersexual Genital Mutilation, (IGM) is sometimes performed on intersexual infants born with ambiguous genitalia.

As noted above, FGM is a social custom, not a religious practice. However, in those Muslim countries where it is practice, FGM is often justified by two controversial sayings of the Prophet Mohammed that seem to favor sunna circumcision. The authenticity of these sayings are unconfirmed, and some scholars have refuted them. Even if true, they only permit the practice; they do not mandate it.

FGM has probably been performed for at least 1,400 years (some references estimate 2,000 years), and started during what Muslims call "al-gahiliyyah" (the era of ignorance). The Qu'r'an, Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) and Christian Scriptures (New Testament) is silent on the subject. The Sunnah (the words and actions of the Prophet Mohammed) contain a number of references to female circumcision:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/fem_cirm.htm
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 09:37 am
<<shudder>>
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 09:47 am
So now that we're on this subject. Can anybody justify this social custom? And how does this compare to male circumcision in a political sense?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 10:21 am
I watched a program on this once. The tribe/culture that did it also sewed up the girls vagina leaving just enough space to menstruate through. Then they cut her clitoris off. This was to ensure that on her wedding night, her husband would be the first man to have sex with her. If all this wasn't bad enough, the husband actually ripped her open because by this time, the skin would have healed together. Talk about brutal.

I could never find justification in this but there are a lot of customs I can't understand. I just feel so absolutely horrible for these women because the program I watched showed (minus the actual graphics of the circumcision) the act being done and the girl had to be held down by several people. She was screaming and crying and obviously not a willing participant.

I don't understand it. I just don't.
0 Replies