thoughts and opinions please
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,316 • Replies: 67
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:02 pm
Circumcision serves no purpose except religious belief. And custom. It is now customary in the US to do this to all baby boys.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 06:49 pm
Some me have some problems with infections that can increase cancer risk - that's the only potential medical reason. It's becoming less common in US.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 07:22 pm
It can cause vaginal problems for a chick too. Having a disgusting germ-rod probe you isnt' healthy.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 08:34 pm
Because nobody answered this particular question, from a Jewish perspective in most of the movements a man would definitely be circumcised if he converted. If he was already converted, he would simply be pricked with a needle in order to draw blood. That would most likely be done with the individual awake.

The foreskin is actually not terribly sensitive.

It is true that circumcision can make the penis easier to clean and take care of (although this doesn't matter so much these days) and that it seems to prevent certain forms of cancer in the woman (although I don't remember how significant the difference is) but for a Jew the real reason for circumcision is because it is a sign of the covenant and, basically, a way of making someone a part of the tribe.

The original reason may be hygenic, but the recorded reason is entirely related to peoplehood and God.

Dauer
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:23 am
(Max, perhaps your Topic/header should have been "Circumcision Tips".)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 08:24 am
If you teach a boy how to properly clean his penis, there should be no increase in anything. I dated an uncircumcised man and it was not gross or stinky or yucky or anything like that. And I didn't get infections or anything like that from sex.

If there not a religious reason for it, then I don't think it needs to be done.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 08:30 am
Circumcision originated with the Jews. We wanted 10% off.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 08:33 am
panzade wrote:
Circumcision originated with the Jews. We wanted 10% off.

Laughing

pan, you crack me up!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 08:36 am
btw I'm not sure of the figures but it's far from 100% of baby boys these days -- I seem to remember reading that it's getting to be a lower and lower percentage.

OK now I gotta go look it up, I'll be back...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 08:36 am
Im sorry, but not being circumsized doesnt increase the risk of a woman getting cancer.
Not being CLEAN.. that can.
An 'un-cut' man can carry germs just as easily as one who has been 'cut'.

The penis is very sensative . ( DUH) and over time the sensativity is worn down when the foreskin has been removed. That is the down side. Aside from being unnecessary there is nothing else truly wrong with it. The foeskin is on all animals, and humans alike. It is a protectant. It also aids in lubrication during sex.
If a boy/man is not taught to clean himself ( as kristie said) then yes, he can carry disease alot easier then a non circumsized man. Cleaning isnt a big deal. Just pull the skin back. It isnt rocket science but if you listen to Doctors and our society today you would think it was totally impractical and just wrong to not be ' cut' if you are a man.
Strange place we live in.
( religious reasons aside! I am not ciritcizing anyones religious choice, I am taking the stand point of the non religious cosmetic reasons )
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 08:41 am
Quote:
The National Center for Health Statistics estimates that roughly 65 percent of newborn males in the United States are circumcised each year, making it a far more common practice than in Asia, South and Central America, and most of Europe. In the United States, circumcision is far more common among whites than blacks or Hispanics (81 percent versus 65 percent and 54 percent, respectively). The overall percentages of circumcised infants have remained relatively unchanged throughout the past two decades.

Research shows that approximately 80 percent of the world's population including Europe, the former U.S.S.R., China and Japan has never engaged in the practice of circumcision. Generally, circumcision has been practiced only within the context of tribal or religious traditions. This is true for Jews, Muslims, most black Africans, non-white Australians and others. The exception is the United States, where routine circumcision has gained widespread acceptance. The rate of circumcision in Great Britain has dropped to approximately one percent, whereas in the United States it is estimated to be 65 percent or higher.

Dr. Paul Fleiss of the University of Southern California Medical Center says the neonatal circumcision rate in the western United States has fallen in recent years to 34.2 per cent. This relatively diminished rate, he says, may surprise American men born during the Cold War era, when nearly 90 percent of baby boys were circumcised automatically, with or without their parents' consent.

Interesting article, lots of info:

http://www.parentsplace.com/babies/newborn/articles/0,,244585_439981-3,00.html?arrivalSA=1&cobrandRef=0&arrival_freqCap=1&pba=adid=13185251

I was SO happy I had a girl and didn't have to make this decision.
0 Replies

Max209

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 11:21 am
if anyone tried to cut the end off my sons penis i would be having serious words with them u just dont do it

if u are that unhygenic to not wash your foreskin then the chances are one day you and ure mrs will have oral sex and if she's nice she'd brush her teeth tell u to wash it and try again another day

but the reality is she is more likely to spit it out slap u clean across your face and walk out
and lets be honest word spreads and unless u move area then u aint gonna be gettin another missus for a while

i just think there is no need medically i cant actually picture my penis without it and to be honest i wouldnt want to.

i honestly think that the rspcc (child protection)
should get actively involved as if u chopped a kids finger off u would be thrown in jail

but why not his foreskin if anything i would prefer to lose a finger than someone try and have that away

sorry to blab on just get on a bit of a roll sometimes
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:19 pm
i was circumsised.

i'm not angry with my parents for making that decision.

theres no harm in being circumsised. theres no risks.

it actually makes me feel more clean

i remember a biology (or PSE?) lesson once where the teacher told us about some really disgusting diseases and stuff that can result from being unclean and that doctors usually recommened circumsision to reduce health risk.

it made me feel glad!

i mean so what if your circumsised? big deal! your no less of a man!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:46 pm
Not sure when your teacher told you that, raheel, but that's not the current thinking.

Quote:
During the last 25 years, a vast majority of medical institutions have come out against circumcision. Most important was the March 1999 declaration by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the highest authority on child health in the United States, that circumcision was not necessary for the well being of boy babies. Today there is no longer any national or international public health authority in the western world, which advocates routine circumcision.

None of the following medical societies or associations advocate infant circumcision:

American Academy of Pediatrics
American Medical Association
American Cancer Society
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
National Institutes of Health
Pediatric Urologists Association
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
Canadian Pediatric Society
Canadian Medical Association
European Medical Societies (any)

-snip- [er...]

Dr. Paul Fleiss of the University of Southern California Medical Center says the natural penis requires no special care. A child's foreskin, like his eyelids, is self-cleansing. For the same reason it is inadvisable to lift the eyelids and wash the eyeballs, it is inadvisable to retract a child's foreskin and wash the glans. Immersion in plain water during the bath is all that is needed to keep the intact penis clean.

The white emollient under a boy's foreskin, known as smegma, is one of the most misunderstood and unjustifiably maligned substances in nature, says Dr. Thomas J. Ritter. Smegma is clean, not dirty, and is beneficial and necessary. It moisturizes the glans and keeps it smooth, soft, and supple. Its antibacterial and antiviral properties keep the penis clean and healthy. All mammals produce smegma.

Dr. David Kaufman is an assistant professor of clinical urology at Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons. In a 1996 New York Times article, Kaufman said, "If proper hygiene is practiced, all of the potential medical problems can be avoided."

Studies suggest that it is best not to use soap on the glans or foreskin's inner fold. Forcibly retracting and washing a baby's foreskin, he says, destroys the beneficial bacterial flora that protect the penis from harmful germs and can lead to irritation and infection. The best way to care for a child's intact penis is to leave it alone. After puberty, young men can gently rinse their glans and foreskin with warm water, according to their own self-determined needs.

Miriam Pollack, author of "Circumcision: A Jewish Feminist Perspective," says the foreskin first qualified as a site of potential hygiene trouble during the first half of the 20th century, when many men were engaged in the dirty business of war.

"Soggy trenches and humid jungles where little possibility for a shower or change of clothing existed were not hospitable environments for maintaining minimal foreskin hygiene," she writes. Consequently, the military soon added its authority to the voices advocating foreskin removal as a health benefit.
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:52 pm
i don't really care too strongly about circumsision so i didn't mind.

i don't see why people can get so angry over being circumsised.

its not the end of the world.

i found some sites which show that circumsision is beneficial

http://www.icon.co.za/~hugot/circum/Advantages.htm

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0950/is_6_111/ai_103990573
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:32 pm
I have been having the 'anti genital mutilation' argument on the 'Do you believe in God?' thread. You should take at look at the opposing sites.
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:42 pm
did you look at the answers i gave to you questions on that thread
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 03:52 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Im sorry, but not being circumsized doesnt increase the risk of a woman getting cancer.
Not being CLEAN.. that can.
An 'un-cut' man can carry germs just as easily as one who has been 'cut'.

The penis is very sensative . ( DUH) and over time the sensativity is worn down when the foreskin has been removed. That is the down side. Aside from being unnecessary there is nothing else truly wrong with it. The foeskin is on all animals, and humans alike. It is a protectant. It also aids in lubrication during sex.
If a boy/man is not taught to clean himself ( as kristie said) then yes, he can carry disease alot easier then a non circumsized man. Cleaning isnt a big deal. Just pull the skin back. It isnt rocket science but if you listen to Doctors and our society today you would think it was totally impractical and just wrong to not be ' cut' if you are a man.
Strange place we live in.
( religious reasons aside! I am not ciritcizing anyones religious choice, I am taking the stand point of the non religious cosmetic reasons )

You are incorrect. There is a decreased risk of cervical cancer that, as I said, isn't terribly significant.

http://www.cfpc.ca/cfp/2003/Sep/vol49-sep-critical-1.asp

http://www.circumcisioninfo.com/bbc_cancer.htm

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020701/tips/8.html

As bizarre as it sounds, it's true.

Dauer
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 04:02 pm
I personally liked this statement in the first link...

"...circumcised men had higher levels of education and reported less frequent genital washing compared with uncircumcised men (40.5% vs 23.0%)."

Shocked

Great.
0 Replies