Julio Franco: Freak of Nature

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 04:32 pm
With an eye on 3,000 hits, Franco plans on playing until age 50

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) -- Not satisfied with being the oldest active player in the major leagues, Julio Franco said Sunday he wants to play until he turns 50, end his career with at least 3,000 hits and then become a manager.

Franco, 46, signed a one-year, $1 million deal last month with the Atlanta Braves for the 2005 season -- his 21st in the majors.
(article)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 871 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 04:56 pm
I remember ten years ago when I was a kid and an active baseball fan I knew Franco was old, and now for the past 3 years I keep saying "this'll be his last year" even though he still puts up decent numbers.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 05:43 pm
Why would anyone retire at 46, if they can get a million dollars a year to play a sport they more than likely love.
I can understand a football player wanting out (rough sport).

How old is the average baseball player when retiring? And is it because they aren't wanted anymore?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 05:55 pm
Baseball players usually play alot longer than players of other sports. Once you get old, you can be Eddie Murray and DH.
0 Replies