A modest proposal

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 08:48 pm
BTW, I love "2001" probably because I saw it at the Hollywood Cinerama theater on their new screen in the 70's and was left totally astonished. 'Course it could have been that there was so much pot smoke in the theater, all you had to do was breath in deeply! Like Tolkien not liking that the hippies took over his story as their bible, I'm sure Kubrick was a little taken aback that "2001"
had become to ultimate druggy film.
0 Replies

Tim King

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 10:42 pm
Okay, I have to admit that a bit of my tongue has been in my cheek throughout this question and I hope I haven't offended anyone. But I also have to admit as a relative newbie that some of the Film topics have been a little off-putting. I want to contribute, but I sure don't want to sound like a moron in the process. So I wondered if there were others here and about who shared my misgivings. After all, ignorance loves company too.

To lightwizard's reminder of rules of decorum, not to worry. I've been very impressed by how open and supportive people are here on A2K and I really don't have a problem with anybody. I was simply making a point, looking for some buy-in, and having a wee bit of fun along the way. Thanks to all who shared an opinion. I'm glad to see there's a little something to this Film vs. Movie thing, even if they can all co-exist relatively happily.

And could somebody please take ehBeth to go see Chicago so her faith in movies can be restored a bit?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 10:46 pm
oh please don't make me go see that. please. i'll stop going to movies again. i just barely started again ( 3 animated movies in the last year, after close to 10 years of not seeing a single current film/movie ).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 10:47 pm
spitting through fingers at the thought of Nell, the movie that turned me off <bleccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhh>
0 Replies

Tim King

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 10:51 pm
Nell, huh? Yup, that would do it.

Okay, how about Spirited Away? That's animated and 100% Jodie Foster free. One of the best movies I saw all year.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 11:15 pm
Thanks, Tim -- I figured you were indulging in a bit of facetiousness and it's well taken. If you have seen a picture being discussed, what I am saying is not to be timid about commenting on it. Only a mean-spirited sycophant will even think of picking on you for not being as articulate as they might believe they are.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 12:12 am
From a movie lover whose two favorite films are Caddyshack and Pather Panchali, I think there is room for everybody in this forum. I enjoyed the Australian and U.K. movie topics, but also Lightwizard's Ebert movies and the arthouse discussions, even though I just read and rarely contribute. Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 12:35 am
I guess I'm not forceful enough to suggest one reads the Ebert essays and comment even if they haven't seen the film. I'm really trying to get people more interested in all film, not just their "tried and true" favorites. You never know what you'll discover and there's a lot out there to discover, old classics and more current gems. I enjoy both "Caddyshack" and "Pather Panchali" but I do suggest there are more than 10,000 films out there and an entire lifetime to search out what might knock your socks off.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 01:12 am
That was my point - read and learn and discover new films and new directions to go in.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 02:10 am
It's a zoo to go into the nearest Blockbuster or other rental outlet and start roaming around trying to find a film on the volition of their cover art! I wasn't dreaming that all of you would run out to rent "The Bicylcle Thief," but once you've seen this film, you'll know why it is a very potent story of an ordinary poor man and his son who are trying to survive. Just the smallest things become delights. It's worth putting up with subtitles. Some films aren't.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 05:18 am
bring on the milms! I wanna go see a foovie!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 06:13 am
Tim K

Glad to know that you weren't 100% serious Very Happy ... I figured around 50% serious & 50% mischief ...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 12:50 pm
Okay, bunny, bring on the minema and covies! Not to mention the filmovies.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 06:12 pm
ok kids - can anyone suggest something that would give me the same kind of joy i got/get from Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown ? it's one of the last voofies i enjoyed. I actually can't think of anything i didn't like about that cinematic offering.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 07:32 pm
Yes, ehBeth. An immodest proposal--Watch "Panic" ....
0 Replies

Tim King

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 10:31 pm
Okay, Milm and Foovie fans, have I got an idea for you! Please check out http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4461 Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 01:47 pm
following you almost anywhere, Tim.

Panic will make me laugh, Letty? the music's lively? (i don't know it, but the title doesn't sound promising)
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:20 am
Tim:
Even though this discussion is a little overripe, I would like to comment.
There is no difference between the words films and movies.

Because no two people ever have the exact same reaction from viewing a film, it's the individual film opinion that makes this film site live. But to be controversial in an artificial way is disingenuous. I quote you from your personal member description: "I am a honest man. I seek truth in all words and deeds..."

It would be great if you would write about a film you experienced from your particular point of view. You have been articulate in some of your past film postings. If you don't want to comment about camera angles or a director's life work etc., just write about how a film speaks to you and what you want to say about it.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 11:10 pm
The distinction between movies and film is a bogus one. Many of the "films" we now call classics were made and enjoyed as popular entertainment for the masses--the Chaplin and Keaton silents, the Marx Bros., all of Bogart's film noirs, every movie Bette Davis and Katharine Hepburn ever made, THE THIRD MAN, and in more recent times THE GODFATHER. Movies become art through the application of taste and intellligence. If someone made a PORKY's film that was good enough, it would qualify too. Conversely, "film" is often an excuse for ponderous, pretentious crap like BREAKING THE WAVES or THE ENGLISH PATIENT. I disagree with Lightwizard about Tarantino in particular but agree with him generally that a popular film can express sophisticated content. Indeed, most of the movies I love were made to entertain ticketbuyers, not give pseudo-intellectuals something to gas about. And those movies--like THE THIRD MAN--managed to convey a lot more than just a good story. Again, the distinction is a phony one.
0 Replies

muerte

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 11:28 pm
Interesting response. Are you enjoying your new clothes, emporer Larry?
0 Replies