feeling too old at 20

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 12:40 pm
I was wondering what peoples views are on female vocalists (if you can even call some of them that) with songs on the charts these days. It seems as if all of them started in the entertainment business before hitting 20 years old - some way younger, yet no matter how little talent they may have, they still have record deals and a huge market.
It feels as if at 20 years old, I'm about 3 very critical years too late to give a singing career a shot. Are there many people these days that prefer vocal talent and delivery to lip synched, hyped up, backgrounded with choreographed 'dance' routines, costume change marathon performances?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,356 • Replies: 11
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 01:01 pm
I would prefer a genuine artist. I can't stand all of the fakeness the music industry has brought to music. The problem is, genuine doesn't sell only young and hot does.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 01:11 pm
Young and hot definitely sells, but there is still definitely a market for real talent at any age.

Oprah did a talent search last year for "adults", and the woman who won was incredible, an absolutely amazing voice. She was also quite heavy, only moderately attractive (by Britney standards), mother of five, and in her mid-thirties.

It is possible. Seek out auditions, play small clubs, and watch for the Oprah sequel!
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 01:16 pm
Angie, that is true....in a sense, but do you ever hear of that heavy woman, mother of five with the amazing voice anymore?
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 01:18 pm
Here's all my wisdom on the topic:

1. In the arts, 90% of everything is crap. Therefore, a survey of the talent at any given time will likely produce discouraging results.

2. In the arts, making a living at the highest income level is dependent upon not only talent and perserverence, but also luck. The odds are against you. It is advisable not to pursue a career in the field unless you are willing to endure years of little or no success, AND you cannot imagine yourself doing anything else, ever. If you can imagine yourself doing something else, do it; pursue music on the side, or as a hobby.

3. Trends come and go; the market tires of every fad eventually. If you have no specific artistic vision, pursue the trend and hope you can catch up before it fades. If you have a specific artistic vision, stick to it and wait for the trend to swing your way. If it never does, at least you haven't wasted your time trying to produce music you don't believe in. And your age won't matter if it is music and not fame you are seeking.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 02:09 pm
Good words my friend!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 04:15 pm
Yep, if you want to be rich and famous, your chances are very slim even if you're talented.

If you love to sing, then sing. If you're lucky, you'll get paid to sing. If you're very lucky, you can make a living at it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 04:21 pm
Greyfan wrote:
1. In the arts, 90% of everything is crap. .

And i thought I was the only one who noticed this.
Truly sad.

There isnt a person in the world who can say that Brittney Spear's "band" has talent. Simple music riffs, pre-set keyboard solos.. make for no talent at all. And .. they are millionaires, known in every household and will probally go into some pop music hall of fame..all for nothing. >sigh<
0 Replies

say it isnt so

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 02:43 am
Thanks for replying Very Happy Unfortunately the people who know me don't tell me exactly what they're thinking because it would seem somewhat pessimistic, but you have all put it pretty clear - which means a lot. I don't want to be one of those people who die chasing their dream without ever getting to live it out - that's pretty depressing. So thanks again, I think I'll continue it as a hobby and see where it goes!
0 Replies

angie

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 09:28 am
stand up for pessimism wrote:
Angie, that is true....in a sense, but do you ever hear of that heavy woman, mother of five with the amazing voice anymore?

I did hear via Oprah that she has a contract.

You're right in that she'll have a more difficult time; she'll need lots of exposure, but once people hear her, she could become extraordinarily successful.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 08:45 pm
angie wrote:
stand up for pessimism wrote:

I did hear via Oprah that she has a contract.

You're right in that she'll have a more difficult time; she'll need lots of exposure, but once people hear her, she could become extraordinarily successful.

Contract don't mean shight if know one wants to hear ya! And it's Oprah, she could get my dog a contract....lol.....I'm not saying the woman isn't good, I know she is, I watched that show, i'm just saying I havn't heard her since then, and I doubt I ever will, unless of course she's back on oprah. Confused I dunno.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 09:04 pm
You're probably right.

Too bad.

Then again, Josh Groban has a huge following, and he's hardly "hot".
0 Replies