Bagels, Pizza, Hot Dogs and Race Tracks - New York City?

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 05:16 am
McTag:

Americans like to refer to the period 1819-1901 as the Victorian Era because in our own country we were slightly occupied by somewhat trifling disagreements as the Civil War the Civil War, mundane efforts at growth ( the expansion to the WEST - California Gold Rush-Alaskan Gold Rush) and creating the largest, most productive, manufacturing enterprises on the face of the Earth just in time to rescue all of Europe from the clutchs of the Hun.

(No offense, Walter.)

Joe(Britain's lucky that we kept any memory of the lot of you alive.)Nation
Jes' joshing...... Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 05:26 am
I allus thought that Victorian Era referred to the US victories over the Spanish in a war that lasted less than three months (ahh, those were the days!) in 1898, which gave us a foothold in the Caribbean (Puerto Rico and Cuba) and the Pacific (the Philippines). It's got something to do with King Victor Emmanuel of Italy???
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 05:54 am
Nope.

Refers to this gal:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9c/Queen_Victoria_1887.jpg/262px-Queen_Victoria_1887.jpg

Joe(hubba hubba)Nation
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 07:09 am
There was a recent TV documentary here about the life of our dear Queen Victoria*, and "hubba hubba" is right, she was a real mover, and apparently not at all like her public persona.
For instance, she and Albert had a lock on their bedroom door which could be remotely controlled from the bed. They were very keen on quality time together.

*By the grace of God Queen of Great Britain and Ireland, Empress of India and of all Dominions overseas, and all-round good egg.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 07:22 am
her size 50 bloomers are up for auction

(hamburger told me. my dad know EVERYTHING Very Happy )
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 11:27 am
Once again I am reflecting on how true it is regarding who you know rather than what.

Friday night, Mrs. Nation and I arrive at the Frying Pan apparently just behind EVERYONE ELSE ON THE WEST SIDE! People are standing next to tables because there are no chairs. Women are sitting atop an unused bar. We make our way slowly through the barricades of revelers (WHO the hell TOLD all these people about the PAN?!?!) and we see there is no hope of finding any place in this mob.

Wait, I say, maybe Frank is already here.
(I ring his cellphone. He actually hears it and answers.)
Hey, man, where are you?
Downstairs in this pit of humanity.
Com'on up topside.
Have you got room for two?
Oh, yeah.

We climb the winding stairs and there is Frank with a table and three empty chairs right on the end of the deck with the best view of the Hudson one can imagine.
(Having three chairs empty is the equivalent of being in a group of starving people. They have potato peels to eat, you have a whole roast turkey with the trimmings.)

We sit down. I get up. I get beers. I sit down. We talk. I get up, go get really good pizza and a blue cheese burg to die for (Hey, it's really good bar food, not three stars, but still good.)

The breeze blows, we eat, we watch the boats, we talk, the sun moves towards the horizon.

What could be better?

After the sun sets and Frank heads out for his train, we stay for a little while watching the darkness swim up the river. There is a couple standing near the rail, she points to the kayakers heading in.

Meanwhile, the crowd is getting bigger. Someone wheedles one of the chairs and then another.

We wave to the couple. "Would you like this table?"
Oh, they say, it's the best table in New York.

Yes, we say, we know the guy who practically owns it.

Thank you, Frank.

Joe(simply the best)Nation
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 11:42 am
You lucky people!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 11:42 am
Maybe Frank frightened prospective tablesnatchers away, by growling and showing his teeth.

(He keeps them in his vest pocket.)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 04:36 am
Coming to New York????

SO'S THIS !

Joe(it's always something)Nation
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 02:22 pm
For NYers everywhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n8gxEwLx0w
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 02:34 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Coming to New York????

SO'S THIS !

Joe(it's always something)Nation

perfect timing!

now ... do I tell the ladies in advance or just let 'em go around a corner ...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 04:47 pm
ehBeth wrote:
perfect timing!

now ... do I tell the ladies in advance or just let 'em go around a corner ...

I thought you were flying the thing over from Toronto.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 04:48 pm
Wait a second ... are you saying you're actually, physically coming to New York in October?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:36 pm
That's the plan. Some health issues aren't completely resolved for one of the travellers, but we've got a late October/early November plan.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:38 pm
@Thomas,
JoefromChicago will be in New York at the end of August.

http://able2know.org/topic/121022-1#post-3360126

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 08:49 am

Okay, for anyone interested or paying attention, we are looking forward very much to our upcoming trip to the States, where if all goes well we will meet c.i., Cyclo, georgeob, Bernie and Lola in their respective locations.

It can't come too soon for us.
Smile
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:51 am
@McTag,
Wishing you a wonderful trip, McTags. You're going to do a thread on it, no?
McTag

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 03:17 pm
@ossobuco,

Well, with the permission of participating people, I may do that.

It won't approach the splendour of Walter's or Mathos's (or others') previous efforts, but we'll see what can be done.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 03:24 pm
@McTag,
Yayy. Even with no a2kers in the pics, I'm hoping to see bits of what you two see.. (I left my heart in San Francisco and a few other places.)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 05:04 pm
@McTag,
Mac-

Tell Lola that a group played Lola last night in the pub and I thought of her.

Good luck though. Rather you than me.