If I knew that you were coming I would have baked a cake

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 06:50 pm
This thread reminded me of the year that a friend's daughter asked to spend her 8th birthday with me. Things were tumultuous at home, and she didn't want to be there.

We made cupcakes from a cake mix, decorated them with Barbies and their accessories. The birthday girl took lots of out of focus photos of me, and I took a couple of splendid ones of her blowing out the big candle on one of the cupcakes.

K knew that I loved her a lot, and that there would be love and treats at my house on her birthday - no fussing, no arguing. She got married last autumn. I got her all kinds of baking things as her gift. She can't cook, but she can make a mean cheesecake. It's about love, baby.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 06:52 pm
Mmmm.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 06:52 pm
This is the closest thing I could find to my grandma's depression cake:

Eggless, milkless and Butterless Cake

Boil all together for 3 minutes:
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cups cold water
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup seeded raisins
1 tea. cloves, ground
1 tea. cinnamon
1/2 tea. nutmeg
1/2 tea. salt

When cool add the following:
2 cups flour
1 tea baking powder
1/2 tea. baking soda
1/2 cup nuts

Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes

I remember hers as having dried apricots in it, maybe dates.......
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 06:54 pm
Lovely, eBeth, just lovely.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 11:53 pm
Boom, your "Depression Cake" is my family recipe for "Ration Cake"... called thus because during the war (WWII), eggs, milk and butter were all rationed and in short supply.

Re: the KitchenAid Stand Mixer, I got a twenty-year-old one at a yardsale for $20.

I've had mine for about 4 years and figure that I've already gotten at least $300 worth of use out of it...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 12:31 am
I guess I'm the only one who buys cakes http://www.borge.diesal.de/oh.gif

We have a great french pastry chef close by and her
cakes are devine. I always buy birthday/special ocassion
cakes there.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 01:05 am
In my family, a scratch cake equalled love. Mom wouldn't touch cake mix. She baked cakes fairly often - there was usually part of a cake in the cake Tupperware. But for your birthday, you got to pick what kind of cake and frosting. (You also got to pick the menu for dinner.) She went thru an elaborate period of shaped cakes - a fish, a car. I was making cakes with almost no help by the time I was 11. I think the only thing Mom helped with was taking the pans out of the oven.

Carrot cake was actually my favorite, but Mom wouldn't make any cake that had oil in it ("you can taste the oil!") - <sigh>. So I only had carrot cake at restaurants, I guess.

These days, my sister has "caved" and uses cake mix. My sister-in-law bakes from scratch still. I don't bake cakes at all - haven't baked one for years. Instead, each niece or nephew gets a batch of homemade cookies on their birthday from me. They get to pick the flavor. Very Happy
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 01:09 am
boomerang wrote:

One of my very favorite deserts is made from a cake mix:

A bag of frozen blueberries
A can of crushed pineapple
One dry yellow cake mix sprinkled on top.
One stick of butter sliced up and laid on top.

Bake until done - somewhere between a half hour and an hour.

Boomerang, how big are the bag of blueberries and the can of pineapples? What size pan do you use? I want to try this one.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 10:56 am
Quote:
One of my very favorite deserts is made from a cake mix:

A bag of frozen blueberries
A can of crushed pineapple
One dry yellow cake mix sprinkled on top.
One stick of butter sliced up and laid on top.

Bake until done - somewhere between a half hour and an hour.

That's what folks around here call "Dump Cake." You can basically put in any kind of fruit. Here's a link to all kinds of dump cake recipes Dump cake
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 11:51 am
I'd never heard of such a critter. Those Dump Cake recipes are a riot! Definitely great for doing with very small aspiring (under 3) bakers in the house.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 11:56 am
This is a good recipe to make with little ones who will be licking their paws - no eggs.

http://southernfood.about.com/library/rec00/bl01018c.htm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 11:56 am
I wonder if I can try the same thing with muffin mix the next time a small neighbour wants to cook. hmmmmmmmm

Hey! there's even a version to make in a crock pot!

Crock Pot Blueberry Dump Cake

1 21 oz. can blueberry pie filling

1 package yellow cake mix

1/2 C. butter

1/2 C. chopped walnuts

Place pie filling in the slow cooker. Combine dry cake mix and butter, sprinkle over filling. Sprinkle the walnuts on top of that. Cover and cook on low for 2 - 3 hours. Serve warm in bowls.

Top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/slowcooker/bludum.htm
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 03:57 pm
There's also something called a Flop Cake. I have a recipe that comes from the Ladies ofd St. Boniface, a church in the tiny town of New Vienna, Iowa. My mother-in-law gave me this cookbook when I first married her darling boy. She musta been afraid he'd starve if I didn't learn to cook Wink It has some great recipes in it, I have to admit. Those farm girls know a thing or two about baking. Anyway the recipe goes like this:

CAKE
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 (NO.2) can crushed pineapple

Combine and place in a greased and floured 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 325 F for 40 minutes or until golden brown.

FROSTING
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 sm. can evaporated milk
1 stick margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
1 can coconut

Boil all ingredients except the coconut for four minutes. Add the coconut and pour over the hot cake.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 03:59 pm
I made a wacky cake.....
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 04:25 pm
How is it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 04:28 pm
it's good. My flour smells and tastes vaguely of lavender and that works!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 04:33 pm
I have just finished baking a cake with flour, eggs, and a little butter. It just kind of lays on the plate.

Would frosting help?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 04:45 pm
The Dump Cake is one of my favorites to do in the Cafe. I use Cherry Pie Filling and Pineapple.....it goes over great.

Another one to do that is very easy, but its RICH to eat. Is Brownie Mix....baked, following directions. When it comes out the oven, use a bag of small marshmallows, (or marshmallow creme) let that melt. Powder Sugar Icing..w/chocalate. Than top off with Walnuts. We call it Heavenly Hash..lol

And speaking of Cake mixes, I found one of the easier cookie recipes using a cake mix...that I have ever found. And the taste is wonderful.

Its tooo easy to be believed. Its one cake mix.....whatever flavor, with room temp butter. Use the dry cake mix...start out with about a cup of butter and knead it together. It has to be cookie dough consistency...add more butter if needed. When finished, roll it out , roll it up in saran wrap and freeze for a lil bit. Come back, slice.......cook on 350 and WaLaaaa.........You can ice these if you want, but just using a butter cake mix is great alone.

But think..... Butter Pecan cake mix w/ cocunut icing. Or Carrot Cake mix w/ cream cheese icing.

UMMMM.........LOL
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 01:26 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I have just finished baking a cake with flour, eggs, and a little butter. It just kind of lays on the plate.

Would frosting help?

Yes, Gus. That cake needs some sugar.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 03:29 pm
That "cake", Gus, is no such thing.
It has no leavening agents.
Sounds more like a very plain frittata.

0 Replies