Chorus Line to return to Broadway in 2006

bree

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 03:46 pm
mac11 wrote:
Well, it's been a year since our bet, bree.

Since Spamalot is currently selling tickets thru 11/5/06, should we call it a done deal? Or shall we wait and see?

I'm willing to wait until a theatre for the revival of A Chorus Line has been announced. The most recent news story on Playbill's website about the revival is from last March, so I wonder if it's still slated for Broadway this fall.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 03:57 pm
mac11 wrote:
I think it's funny that the article mentions that the Shubert is booked by a new Monty Python musical. Anybody want to take bets on whether that production will still be a hindrance 18 months from now? Very Happy

I'm still trying to get tickets to Spamalot. I've had to revise my plan.

Two trips to NYC last year - no no no Spamalot tickets <unless I was willing to spring over $500 a pop>

Now I'm going to try to get the tickets first, and then book a trip to NYC around the tickets.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 04:26 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I'm going to try to get the tickets first, and then book a trip to NYC around the tickets.

Sounds like a good plan.

Simon Russell Beale recently replaced Tim Curry in the show as King Arthur, and there's a new actress playing the Lady of the Lake, but I'm sure the show is still a hoot.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:28 pm
And just to muddy the waters a little more for Beth: it's just been announced that a London production of Spamalot will open in October. I know you love NYC, but there are lots of great photo ops in London, too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 03:26 pm
A London Theatre adventure is on my short list for "my 50th birthday present to myself".

If Spamalot runs for a not-too-incredibly long time, but long enough, that could work.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:47 am
Casting news on A Chorus Line: Charlotte d'Amboise will play Cassie, according to this article in today's New York Times:

A Broadway Survivor Joins 'Chorus Line'
By JESSE McKINLEY

The Broadway revival of "A Chorus Line" planned for the fall has found its Cassie, the hard-luck hoofer at the musical's heart, and the actress who was chosen has more than a little in common with the character. It's Charlotte d'Amboise, the veteran Broadway dancer and actress who took over the lead in a revival of "Sweet Charity" last year when Christina Applegate was injured, only to have Ms. Applegate return to the show just before opening night.

This time, Ms. d'Amboise will have her chance to star, despite a final audition earlier this week that she thought she had flubbed. "I walked out of there, like, 'Oh my God, that was bad,' " she said in a phone interview, recalling her callback on Monday at the Broadhurst Theater.

But Bob Avian, the show's director, said Ms. d'Amboise only confirmed how right she was for the part.

"We've been watching her for 20 years dance, but she's got this great combination of vulnerability and strength," Mr. Avian said in a phone interview late Wednesday. "She's had that roller-coaster career, but she's a survivor. This is her life, and this is what she does."

Along Broadway, Ms. d'Amboise, who is in her early 40's, is considered an accomplished pro. She has performed in many major productions, including "Chicago," "Contact" and "Damn Yankees," though usually as a replacement. It looked as if she would open a show on Broadway when Ms. Applegate broke a bone in her foot during an out-of-town run of "Sweet Charity" last year. But when Ms. Applegate recovered in time for the opening in May, Ms. d'Amboise, as usual, moved on.

The new production of "A Chorus Line," the 1975 hit about a group of aspiring chorus members directed, choreographed and conceived by Michael Bennett, is scheduled to begin rehearsals in June for a July opening in San Francisco before moving to Broadway in the fall. Mr. Avian, who was the co-choreographer of the original production, said that his casting was 80 percent completed and that he had decided on Michael Berresse, most recently in "The Light in the Piazza," to play Zach, Cassie's former lover and the director of the show within the show.

Ms. d'Amboise, who remembers seeing the original as a young dancer, says the chance to step into Cassie's leotard is a dream come true.

"When you're a dancer, and that's what you started off doing, it never gets out of you, no matter what you do," she said. "And to do this role is the epitome of dance on Broadway. There's nothing like that."
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:18 am
I just came to this forum to post this article, but Bree beat me to it. I've been watching her ever since she was an Angel in NYCB,s annual "Nutcracker". She, her brother Chris, and a sister whose name I don't remember all performed. I am anxious to see who else will be in the cast since my greatest pleasures from the show came not from the basic story of Cassie or the big production numbers but from the individual stand alone stories. I have particularly fond recollections of Pamela Blair singing ""Dance Ten, Looks Three" ("Tits and Ass"), Carol (Kelly) Bishop singing "Everything is Beautiful at the Ballet" (That one had the tears pouring down my cheeks) and "Nothing" sung by Priscilla Lopez. The only other show from which I have such vivid memories is Carousel with Bambi Lynn dancing on the sand (my introduction to ballet).
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:36 am
Cool! It sounds like it's really coming together.

I'm interested to know how much of the script will change. I haven't really heard if they're going to leave it set in the 70s or update it. Didn't they make minor script changes in the original run? Perhaps I only saw/heard those in other productions I saw. (I've seen a bunch.)
0 Replies

bree

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 09:37 am
bree wrote:
mac11 wrote:
Well, it's been a year since our bet, bree.

Since Spamalot is currently selling tickets thru 11/5/06, should we call it a done deal? Or shall we wait and see?

I'm willing to wait until a theatre for the revival of A Chorus Line has been announced.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 05:47 pm
Excellent! I'm glad to hear that the revival is on schedule, well practically.

Which CD shall I be sending you? Very Happy
0 Replies

bree

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 07:43 pm
mac, I'll pm you with the name of my CD of choice after I've given the matter some thought (after all, an opportunity like this doesn't arrive every day!).

Are you planning to come to NYC to see the revival of A Chorus Line?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 08:08 pm
I am sorely tempted.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 07:10 pm
mac, if you're serious about that, consider planning a trip to NYC in the spring of 2007. Rumor has it that that's when a revival of Pal Joey, starring Hugh Jackman, will open on Broadway. If the revival of A Chorus Line is any good, it will still be running then -- and if it isn't, you will have saved yourself the price of a ticket.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 07:13 pm
Oh, I'm serious. And I will consider it - definitely. Thanks for the scoop!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:31 pm
A CHORUS LINE Announces Complete 2006 Cast

http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=9229

Quote:
April 26, 2006 - by BWW News Desk

A Chorus Line, the Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award winning musical, proudly announces the 2006 cast. The company will feature Ken Alan (Bobby), Brad Anderson (Don), Michael Berresse (Zach), Natalie Cortez (Diana), Charlotte d'Amboise (Cassie), Mara Davi (Maggie), Jessica Lee Goldyn (Val), Deidre Goodwin (Sheila), Tyler Hanes (Larry), James T. Lane (Richie), Paul McGill (Mark), Heather Parcells (Judy), Michael Paternostro (Greg), Alisan Porter (Bebe), Jeffrey Schecter (Mike), Yuka Takara (Connie), Jason Tam (Paul), Chryssie Whitehead (Kristine) and Tony Yazbeck (Al).

The new production of A Chorus Line will open at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre (236 W 45th St) on Thursday, October 5, 2006. Directed by its original Tony Award winning co-choreographer Bob Avian, the show begins Broadway previews September 18th following a six week run at San Francisco's Curran Theatre July 23rd - September 2nd.

lotsa bios attached
0 Replies

bree

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:52 pm
Thanks, ehBeth! I don't recognize any of the names except Charlotte d'Amboise and Michael Berresse, but I'm sure they'll all be fabulous.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 09:56 am
So, will you be seeing this revival, bree?
0 Replies

bree

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 12:16 pm
There's a distinct possibility, mac, but I'll probably hold out for a discount offer before I plunk down full price at the box office.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 01:01 pm
As with Bree, most of the names are unfamiliar to me; but then with the original, I believe the only one I knew was Donna McKechnie. And weren't Priscilla Lopez, Pamela Blair, Carole (Kelly) Bishop, and Wayne Cilento wonderful surprises?
0 Replies

bree

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 01:59 pm
I don't recognize the name Pamela Blair, but I agree about all the other performers you mention, flyboy. And you make a good point -- this revival could be a launching pad for a lot of careers.
0 Replies