Fri 14 Jan, 2005 12:20 am
I found this recipe based on the appetizer served at the Outback Steakhouse: "Six colossal shrimp dipped in beer batter, rolled in coconut, deep-fried to a golden brown and served with marmalade sauce." I love coconut shrimp, which I order from an East Coast supplier, and eat without any dipping sauce. Now I can make it at home---and so can you.

OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE GOLD COAST COCONUT SHRIMP
Courtesy of BumbleBeeBoogie

THE BATTER

1 cup flat beer
1 cup self-rising flour
2 cups sweetened coconut flakes (1 7-ounce package)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 jumbo shrimp
vegetable oil for frying
paprika

For the batter: use an electric mixer to combine the beer, flour 1/2 cup of the coconut flakes, sugar, and salt in a medium-size bowl. Mix well, then cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.

THE MARMALADE SAUCE (FOR DIPPING)

1/2 cup orange marmalade
2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard (with whole-grain mustard seed)
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
dash of salt

Combine all four ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate the sauce for at least one hour.

Prepare the shrimp by deveining and peeling off the shell back to the tail. Leave the last segment of the shell plus the tailfins as a handle.

When the batter is ready, preheat the oil in a deep pot or deep fryer to about 350 degrees F. Use enough oil to completely cover the shrimp. Pour the remainder of the coconut into a shallow bowl.

Be sure the shrimp are dry before battering. Sprinkle each shrimp lightly with paprika before the next step.

Dip one shrimp at a time into the batter, coating generously. Drop the battered shrimp into the coconut and roll it around so that it is well coated.

Fry four shrimp at a time for 2 to 3 minutes or until the shrimp become golden brown. You may have to turn the shrimp over halfway through the cooking time. Remove the shrimp from the oil and drain them on paper towels briefly before serving with the marmalade sauce on the side.

Serves 4 as an appetizer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,597 • Replies: 0
Topic Closed
No top replies