So - what about the new, cheap Mac?

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:47 am
That's exactly why I use a MAC - I have no clue about
programming or complicated software, or technical know how,
and I have no inclination to do so, that's not my job.

With a MAC I don't need to. I plug it in and use it.
Perfect!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:32 am
Quote:
January 12, 2005

Apple Offers $29 Nano-Mac, Hardware Not Included
by Scott Ott

(2005-01-12) -- In another uncharacteristic effort to woo the masses, Apple CEO Steve Jobs today announced that starting in February his company would ship a "starter version" of the iconic Macintosh computer which will sell for only $29 -- hardware not included.

The announcement follows yesterday's launch of a $499 Mac mini -- a small metal box with no monitor, keyboard, mouse, or other peripherals.

The new $29 Apple Nano-Mac promises to "reduce desktop clutter, while instilling the confidence and feelings of self-worth shared by Mac users worldwide," Mr. Jobs said.

And while critics charged that the bargain-priced Nano-Mac is "little more than a silver Apple logo sticker on an empty matchbox with no ports, plugs, peripherals or programs," Mr. Jobs was quick to point out that all of those "high-end extras can be purchased at Apple.com by users who like the Mac culture and zeitgeist and want to upgrade to a more hardware-centric experience."
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:35 am
Sounds like Steve read my post. :wink:
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:36 am
Very smart of Apple/Jobs. The cheap mac is a cute concept for those who like to buy their components separately and the mini ipod is very, very clever. Too bad it only shuffles your tunes. I'd finally get one for myself if we could program it, like the costlier one.
I'm with you Calamity. My husband is into all of the computer innards, and he's on a PC. I don't care about the programming or the tech at all. I'm a designer and on a Mac. Plug and play, baby.
I love my Mac. G5 desktop and G4 laptop. Thinking of buying a new laptop but I want to sell the one I've got. How should I go about it? ebay? Newspaper? Computer companies like Apple or Dell should offer something on their websites, some kind of swap.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 11:01 am
Two edged sword?

Quote:
Reuters: New IMac, IPod Could Bite Apple's Profits

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc.'s blow-out quarterly results had investors cheering on Thursday, but Apple's profitability could weaken as the Mac and iPod maker goes after lower-priced consumer markets that it has shunned in its nearly 30 years of existence, analysts said.
At the annual Macworld show this week, Apple's (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) co-founder and Chief Executive Steve Jobs unveiled the Mac mini, starting at $499 and its cheapest Mac ever, and the iPod Shuffle, which starts at $99.

The products, which are less profitable than Apple's overall corporate average -- the Shuffle's margin is less than 20 percent compared with an overall 28.5 percent in the most recent quarter -- are a departure from Jobs' long-time characterization of Apple as the BMW of the computer industry that can command a premium on its products ...

Doubt its gonna hurt Apple at all really; a proportionately smaller piece of a much bigger pie is still more pie than you had to start with.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 11:57 am
Dlowan, in the article I read yesterday, it said one could use both - have the pc and the minimac use the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and that they had some sort of hub (my word here) for that.

This works for my business partner's son, who wanted earlier this year to switch to mac but was deterred by having his company's financial records not be transferrable.

If I run into the link before I go to work, I'll post it here, but it was in the NYTimes yesterday, the 13th.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 12:07 pm
eoe wrote:
Thinking of buying a new laptop but I want to sell the one I've got. How should I go about it? ebay? Newspaper? Computer companies like Apple or Dell should offer something on their websites, some kind of swap.

ebay is your best bet eoe. You're a) protected through paypal,
b) you don't need to deal with people coming to your house and
look at the computer, and c) you reach by far more people
through ebay.

Which MAC do you want to sell - the G4? How old and how much dinero?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 12:16 pm
The $500 Mac Mini is incomplete, too. It's what Mac fans call a "headless Mac," and what Mr. Jobs called BYODKM - Bring Your Own Display, Keyboard and Mouse.

Now whom could he be thinking of? Who might already have a screen, keyboard and mouse?

That's right: the Mini is aimed directly at people who are growing increasingly frustrated with their Windows PC's. It lets them sample the Macintosh Way inexpensively, using their existing monitors, U.S.B. keyboards and mice. (By adding a KVM switch, you can even leave these components plugged into both your PC and the Mac; turning a knob switches computers.)

The Mac Mini lacks speakers, too (a Macintosh first). Note, too, that for $500, you get only 256 megabytes of memory. That's barely enough for word processing, Web surfing and e-mail, and nearly hopeless for working with movies, pictures and sound. If you order one, spend the extra $75 to double the memory. (Once you've ordered your Mini, only a dealer can add wireless, Bluetooth - those two add $130 if you order them preinstalled - and memory.)

Truth is, then, that Mr. Jobs should have called the Mac Mini BYODKMSWM: Bring Your Own Display, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Wireless and Memory.

source - http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/13/technology/circuits/13stat.html?pagewanted=2
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 12:25 pm
Good post osso. My friend is MS certified tech and I've seen him build a super-computer from various parts for $400 in just under 2 hours. The mark-up is unreal
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:14 pm
I'm thinking of selling the G4 laptop. I've got to do the research, see how much i can get for it but tell you what, Calamity. I'll let you know first.

ps-you're still killing me with that face!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:23 pm
Thank you eoe, I might be interested in buying.

Actually, now that the rain stopped out here,
I should change the avatar Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:12 pm
Hmmm - nobody else wants pretty? I am the only airhead here???

Or - perhaps those who do already have Macs?

I like the look of the ones Craven suggested - except I find the Alien ones - except the fabulous silver retro one - too...er...aggressive, think is the word.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:58 pm
Actually, dlowan, I understand pretty very well too. I'm loving the Mac Titanium series and the G5 is one of the slickest boxes on the market and looks great in my office but my husband, who builds his own pc's, has also acquired a few really nice boxes thruout the years. I don't think pc boxes want for cuteness. But of course, none are as cute as the G5.

Calamity, don't change a hair! Yours is the face that needs no words.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:09 pm
Looking - this is embarrassing - what is a "powerbook"?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:16 pm
Mac Powerbook. An Apple laptop computer.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:22 pm
Ah - laptop.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:29 pm
dlowan wrote:
Ah - laptop.

Apple supplies two sorts of laptops.."iBook" and "Powerbook", of which the latter is for professional use, for example, for video editing.
There are G3 models and G4 models. I said I did not know whether a G5 model was scheduled or not..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 05:30 pm
Thankee. I decided ages ago not to get a Laptop.

I AM investigating Craven's suggestions for pretty PCs though - in case I ever have any money!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 05:31 pm
Any more beautiful PC suggestions warmly welcomed.....
0 Replies