Wiring a sub panel with 2-2-2-4 wire. All wires but ground are the same color

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2017 07:38 am
I am wiring up a sub panel in a detached garage. I ran 2-2-2-4 wire . The only wire that is different is the 4 gage wire which has a yellow strip. I need to label each of the three wire red, black and white. I tried to apply a charge to one of the wires using ground as a neutral and one ode the wires as hot on the garage end. Then go into the house and test the wires with a light tester. I put the black on the ground as I did in the garage and the red on one of the wires. The light came on. I thought I found my wire. Then just to be sure, I touched the red to the next wire. It lit up also; and so did the next one. This is impossible since two of the wires never had the charge applied to them. Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,858 • Replies: 3
No top replies

centrox

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2017 07:42 am
You need an electrician.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2017 12:04 pm
@Oski1981,
Oski as an electronics tech and erstwhile inventor of some 80+ years' experience, while I realize you're probably esl with limited capacity to outline your problem here, I can only guess that your 'light tester' is some sort of semiconductor device of high input resistance that responds to signals owing to capacitive coupling between insulated leads. Instead you might use a [low wattage] bulb or a [conventional, old-fashioned] multimeter or other such detector to provide a slight resistive load
0 Replies

taopathway

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 08:37 pm
@Oski1981,
make sure the neutral and ground bars are not bonded in your subpanel, my suggestion is buy a volt/multi meter with continuity testing capabilities to identify wires not a tic/hotstick/lighttester.
0 Replies