So this is humanity . . .

rosborne979

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:52 am
theantibuddha wrote:
I'm ashamed of my species.

Why? We are a full spectrum of actions and choices with no set of Universally inate rules against which to be judged.

If you are ashamed, then I must assume that you have chosen a subjective set of rules against which we are judged, and have summarily judged that all of humanity doesn't meet up with your chosen set of rules.

theantibuddha wrote:
I wish I could claim I was not a human, so that I didn't have to be likened to the rest of them.

What would you rather be? A bacteria which has no awareness and can not make rules against which to be judged. Or possibly a Dolphin, which may think in ways more similarly to us, but lacks the technical skills to manipulate its environment in the way we do.

Or did you have something else in mind?
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 01:01 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
I must assume that you have chosen a subjective set of rules against which we are judged, and have summarily judged that all of humanity doesn't meet up with your chosen set of rules.

You would assume correctly, unless you also assume that I was unaware of that.

Yes, I'm aware that objectively speaking the human race is merely a group classification of numerous clouds of atoms that answer only to the laws of physics. Yet never the less, said cloud of atoms doesn't live up to my expectations of what I feel it should be.

Quote:
What would you rather be?

A me. I would love to have my own taxonomical classification. Homo AntiBuddha. Then I could realise how screwed up the human race is without the accompanying knowledge that I'm one of them.

hehe, Homo Antibuddha. Is it immature that I find that funny?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:13 pm
theantibuddha wrote:
Yes, I'm aware that objectively speaking the human race is merely a group classification of numerous clouds of atoms that answer only to the laws of physics. Yet never the less, said cloud of atoms doesn't live up to my expectations of what I feel it should be.

Fair enough.

theantibuddha wrote:
A me. I would love to have my own taxonomical classification. Homo AntiBuddha.

I think we can do that. Since everyone is completely unique, I don't see why we can't declare a specific classification for you. I believe it would be Homo Sapiens Sapiens AntiBuddha. Before we can give you a unique species name I think you have to agree not to breed Wink
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 07:07 am
If you look at recent history with a different perspective you might notice that humanity has evolved more in the last century than in many of the ones that preceded it put together. Even though I believe the human race in general is still rather young, it is constantly on the road to improvement. We still retain aspects from our animal ancestors, both physical and mental that are becoming obsolete. For them it was a matter of survival and lack of reasoning. We do not need body hair, or instinctual emotion as much as they did, we do not to rely on it. I think that given time, our race could evolve away from image that most of us hold.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 10:06 am
Eryemil wrote:
If you look at recent history with a different perspective you might notice that humanity has evolved more in the last century than in many of the ones that preceded it put together.

Human culture has evolved in that timeframe, but genetically, that timeframe is far too short to have allowed for any significant change.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 08:49 pm
Yes, you have a point. Genetic evolution would take far longer but I believe it is happening as we speak. Maybe there will be some significant difference in the next few millennia.

In the past the gene pool had been rather torpid, even degenerating in some places because of inbreeding. I think there's a lot potential for improvement because of the way races are coming together.
0 Replies

silversturm

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 12:02 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Human culture has evolved in that timeframe, but genetically, that timeframe is far too short to have allowed for any significant change.

You're right it's hard to see evolution taking hold in current millenia. We can however see its obvious effects when you look at the uselessness of our appendicies. It is said our small toes are the next to go. I guess I just wonder when the last time our bodies still required the use of our appendicies (1000, 2000, 3000, 4000+ years ago?), and if and when our small toes will not be present on the next generation (1000, 2000 years from now?).
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 02:18 am
A huge genepool with no lifeguard on duty.....

This is a wonderful thread by the way. I just haven't found anything of deep import to add yet....
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 07:34 am
Hi Silver,

silversturm wrote:
You're right it's hard to see evolution taking hold in current millenia. We can however see it's obvious effects when you look at the uselessness of our appendicies. It is said our small toes are the next to go. I guess I just wonder when the last time our bodies still required the use of our appendicies (1000, 2000, 3000, 4000+ years ago?), and if and when our small toes will not be present on the next generation (1000, 2000 years from now?).

Actually, body parts don't just wither away through the generations due to lack of use, they really have to be selected away.

Since apendicitis can be deadly, I can see why that organ might be selected away if it were not necessary. But our toes are not likely to change much unless the little toe begins to interfere with our reproduction or survival in some way.
0 Replies

silversturm

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 08:44 pm
I see, so losing body parts through evolution is tied more to it doing harm to ourselves rather than us not needing it anymore?
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 10:05 pm
Re: So this is humanity . . .
Etruscia wrote:
We are not the way humanity is meant to live, that is to say there is "No one right way to live!" In saying that, we as a culture feel we are living the right way, and nay, the only way a human should live.

Who decides how were supposed to live, or what makes us believe a certain way is the right way? Is it all about popular culture?

To some people, they can believe one thing, and another group of people completely objects to that belief, both think they are right, both may center thier lives around thier beliefs, or lack thereof, so what makes them think they are living life like it should be lived?

In my opinion, life should not be lived with the end in mind. Life should be lived in a manner that you live in the present, but also occasionly look to the future in order to make a desicion in the now.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 10:37 pm
silversturm wrote:
I see, so losing body parts through evolution is tied more to it doing harm to ourselves rather than us not needing it anymore?

Correct.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 06:25 am
CarbonSystem: How we live goes beyond religious believes, or lack thereof. The fact is, that 99% of the world lives the same way, in a hierarchal system where food is kept under lock and key, and therefore is a commodity. Our culture has felt so strongly about this way of life, we have spread it to every inch of the globe.

*what makes our culture feel that this is the way we should be living, is because most feel, even if they dont admit it, that we are here to tame the world. The feel that We are here to bring order to the chaos which preceeded us, and that we are the culmination of all things. **Enforced by western religious beliefs, as well as the belief which resonates through our culture(99% of the world).
0 Replies