A Christmas 2017

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 08:42 pm
We set up the tree today. It's an artificial one, with lights already installed. But, with added tinsel and some of the wooden ornaments we've collected for 40 years, it looks really nice. Some of the ornaments I made myself, when I foolishly thought it would be easy to turn them out by the dozen. The problem with that is finding enough parts. I spent more time scrounging than putting any together. I spent a large part of the week making an 8 foot tall cactus of cedar fence boards. The lights I embedded in it are too large. All you can see is a block of lights in the darkness. But by day, it has a face and wears a Santa hat, so I am pleased enough to keep it out there. We are slow to do things this year. But it's only for we two to enjoy, so it doesn't matter. We are planning a ham dinner. I don't know for certain we will stay home or make the rounds with family. Right now I lean to being home, just the two of us, but whatever she wants will be fine. I want to do something nice for her, but have not made any decisions. Rocky will get a new squeaky toy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,230 • Replies: 22

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2017 09:48 am
Planning to make a snowman yard decoration this week. Looks somewhat like this. It's as much a make work project as anything else.
https://thumb1.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/231466/524533117/stock-photo-new-year-greeting-card-with-copy-space-happy-snowman-standing-in-christmas-landscape-snow-background-524533117.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2017 10:13 am
First Advent today

not feeling the thing thing this year

I've knit gifts for a few people, will get a few more done before Christmas. This year I've been giving people small gifts as the mood hit. I'm liking that.

I've been looking at kindness Advent calendars to work from

this is a good one

https://i1.wp.com/maketodayhappy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Kindness-Advent-Calendar-2017-copy-1.jpg?fit=1200%2C849

day 13 is going to be the most problematic

I've knocked a few things off the calendar early - and will try to do them again - if not daily - at least a few more times. Re-reading the list inspired me to be more positive in my daily interactions.
kitman

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 07:53 am
@ehBeth,
Amazing!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 01:35 pm
0 Replies

Lor Delpus

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 05:07 pm
Nice to see some familiar faces in amongst the sea of strangers.

A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL THE OLD SCHOOL ATOOKIANS!

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 05:14 pm
@Lor Delpus,
Lor Delpus wrote:

MERRY MERRIMENT to you
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 07:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Still working through the kindness Advent calendar - I've now defaulted to just throwing in extra hugs wherever possible (and appropriate).

Second Advent tomorrow. Candles and clementines are ready Smile

I'm volunteer ushering at

https://torontoconsort.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Navidad-Website-Image.jpg

Navidad: A Spanish Christmas / Christmas music from across Spain and Latin America tomorrow afternoon. Very much looking forward to it.

Quote:
We like to say this is the liveliest Christmas concert in town! With flashing rhythms and sensuous melodies, we bring you a fiesta of early music from the Spanish-speaking nations on both sides of the Atlantic, with harp, guitars, percussion, winds, keyboards and voices. From the solemnity of motets by Victoria and Guerrero, to the intricate cross-rhythms of villancicos and dances from Latin America, this is Christmas celebration at its most exuberant.

As usual, Toronto Consort has a bit of a geeky program full of notes for the super-nerdy ethnomusicologist. It can be found at

https://torontoconsort.org/concerts-tickets/2017-18-a-season-to-celebrate/navidad-a-spanish-christmas/
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 09:33 pm
@Lor Delpus,
Is that you Lord Aswas? I think I mis-spelled your moniker.
roger

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 09:54 pm
@glitterbag,
I never would have caught that.

Ever wonder what happened to Evan?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2017 09:56 am
@Lor Delpus,
Yay!!
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2017 11:12 am
@Lor Delpus,
Lor Delpus wrote:

Merry Christmas!
Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2017 01:53 pm
@Lor Delpus,
Bahhumbug, you ol' Lord High Cheerfulness.
centrox

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2017 02:04 pm
For tea we had Marks and Spencer red pepper and chestnut wraps (only because they were in the reduced section).
https://images2.imgbox.com/be/d4/n4VeLXi4_o.jpg
0 Replies

Lor Delpus

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2017 03:24 pm
@Ticomaya,
Tico!

Last time we exchanged etherly fluids, you were, if I remember correctly, either studying law or some sort of coffee tycoon.
Still smoking that stogie I see!
0 Replies

Lor Delpus

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2017 03:26 pm
@Setanta,
Nice to see you still around, Set. Your lovely lady still zumba-ing? Or was it that belly dancing thing?
Lor Delpus

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2017 03:29 pm
@jespah,
My favourite Bostonian!

Apart from Phyliss Regionals, of course.
jespah

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2017 03:47 pm
@Lor Delpus,
Well, of course. He's mine, too. ;D

Hai!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2017 05:03 pm
@Lor Delpus,
She used to do the belly dance thing, but hasn't for a few years. I'll tell her you inquired after her.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2017 08:26 pm
0 Replies