TV Production of 'The Music Man'

caramel

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:32 pm
I tried to like but just couldn't, I changed channel one hour into the production. Couldn't take it!

Matthew Broderick was all wrong for the role. He didn't bring energy and enthusiasm to the role of professor Harold Hill. His performance was colorless, stiff, I just simply couldn't believe him as a con man.

The rest of the cast was not much better. Even the 'Trouble' and '76 Trombones' wasn't up to par. All in all a very bland production.

They shouldn't have mess with a classic movie! Robert Preston will always be The Music Man
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,319 • Replies: 2
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 06:55 pm
It lacked pizazz. I agree that Broderick was not right for the role. Most of the cast was serviceable but not outstanding.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 09:15 am
The Disney version of "The Music Man" wasn't great...but it was pleasant. Matthew Broderick always gives an easy performance and never looks like he is playing to the camera.

I never really bought Robert Preston's slightly over-the-top performance as Professor Harold Hill in the in the 1962 filmed version. I thought he played the role a little to high profile-- like a caricature of a con man or stage performance. Boderick's performance was more of a low key entrance into the community making his pitch in a believable way. But, in general, the 2003 version could have had more pizzazz plus longer camera shots--both in distance and length.

I did not care for Kristin Chenowerth's cool performance as Marian (the librarian) but I did enjoy Molly Shannon as the mayor's wife--prat fall and all.

The music of Meredith Wilson made it a refreshing experience again. Of course it was not as good as the 1962 film version which cost more, took longer to make and had bigger stars.
0 Replies