Stuck on big screen!

gezzy

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:14 pm
A friend of mine is having a problem with his computer and I don't know how to help him, so I'm looking for help from you very smart computer pro's ;-)

My friend just recently was given a computer from a friend and he decided to play with the settings just like I did when I first got mine. Well, he made his computer screen huge and can't get it back to the way it was. He tried doing this by going back to where he made the screen big in the first place at customize my desktop, but his screen is so big now that he can't get to the apply and ok buttons. I tried telling him to do it through the computer icon on the bottom right of his computer, but he says he doesn't have that icon. Can anyone give me some advice on how to help him get his screen back to normal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,779 • Replies: 30
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:30 pm
I don't know, but sometimes you lose the boxes and can still grab and drag the top edge of the box and drag it down.

Also, try going to Settings, Control Panel, Display and setting to a higher resolution.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:34 pm
If by "screen" you mean the windows frame for Windows, tell him that the function key "F11" at the top of his keyboard is usually the one used to switch between full screen and normal.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:46 pm
I just tried the F11 on mine and his problem is that he made the picture on his screen huge. He was playing with his settings in his active desktop in the screen change area, so everything on his screen is now huge and he can't change it back by going back to the settings because he can't get to the apply button due to his huge screen.

Roger
I did tell him to drag the box, but it won't go far enough.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:56 pm
roger wrote:

[T]ry going to Settings, Control Panel, Display and setting to a higher resolution.

I think this could be a key.
(As I have no Windows machine at hand I cannot try settings on them.)
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 06:05 pm
I did get him to do that, but his problem is that after he sets it he can't get to the apply button to add the change.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 06:19 pm
Hi gezzy,

If the problem is not being able to reach the "Apply" button, then he can just hit "Enter" on the keybord to apply the changes.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 06:19 pm
Gezzy: get your friend to try the following >

Start - Settings - Active Desktop - Customise my Desktop - Settings Tab - Screen Area 800x600 using slider - Apply.

Reboot the computer to reset these settings and this will sort out the problem.

If this is not possible, then (with the computer switched off) remove the graphics card and reinsert it, then reboot.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 06:35 pm
Hey, thanks a lot everyone. I'm sure we can get him on the right track now.

Does he have to reboot his computer for the changes to take effect?
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 06:37 pm
Biblio
Where is the graphics card located?
0 Replies

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 06:37 pm
Yes...it's always best to do so after you change the screen size.

Good luck, and let us know what happens. :wink:
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 06:38 pm
Rebooting usually solves many of problems on a computer.
0 Replies

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 06:42 pm
Graphics Card Location?

Look at the back of the computer where the monitor cable is attached - the connector that pokes out from the computer is attached internally to the graphics card.

Remove the chasis cover (make sure the power is disconnected) and look for the monitor connector previously described - you should now clearly see the graphics card in that vacinity. Before you touch the card make sure you are earthed, otherwise you might fry the card with a static charge from your body!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 06:48 pm
Great! Thanks again. I have been giving him all this information and I hope it works for him. I'll let you all know.

Thanks again :-)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 06:49 pm
Gezzy- Don't even think of jumping to plan 2, until you have tried plan 1. I had a similar problem, which was solved by plan 1!
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 06:52 pm
I would've thought he could just right click his mouse while the mouse cursor was placed anywhere on the desktop and adjusted his Active Desktop there, but I think I'm not understanding the problem. I'm a bit slow today.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 06:57 pm
I had this problem when I first got my computer and decided to play with the settings, but I was able to fix the problem through the computer icon at the bottom right of my computer. Unfortunately, my friend doesn't have that icon, so I'm lost. When I say the computer icon, I mean the display icon which looks like a computer.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 06:58 pm
I don't want to tell him to open his computer because I wouldn't even go that far with my own in fear that I would damage it.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 07:07 pm
Jerry
I went and tried your solution and it worked for me, so I can only assume that it will work for him as well. My AOL IM says he's on line, but for some reason he's not responding and I hope it's not because he's messing with other stuff, lol :-)
0 Replies

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 10:27 am
Problem solved yet?
0 Replies