Napoleon Dynamite

Seed

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:39 pm
ok who's seen? i've heard good and mostly bad things about it. i dont read revies. im not big on reading stuff that people get paid for... just for the simple reason they always seem to be setting high standards for movies that never seen able to be reached. that and every neg. review i have read has turned out to be a good film, IMO. but i digress. What do you guys think of this movie? worth watching? i respect the views of most people who post in this forum and seems that most of you like the kind of movies i like. fo thanks

Seed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,430 • Replies: 27
No top replies

mac11

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:46 pm
I saw it because my teenage nephews couldn't stop talking about it. They saw it 3 or 4 times at the theater.

I enjoyed it, but it's very low-tech, low-budget and decidedly odd - many people will hate it. The plot is far-fetched and the characters are bizarre and mostly unlikeable. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:49 pm
hmm very interesting... people say the same thing about "the village" but even though it wasnt quite what i thought it was going to be i thought it was a great movie...

thanks for the input...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:53 pm
I saw it, mostly due to Netflix and teenagers. I personally didn't like it, but my wife did. Pretty lowbrow stuff IMO.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 07:41 pm
I thought it was the most awkward set of characters I have seen. That alone was interesting.

I liked it, Napoleon Dynamite is something people too far removed might not get.

Roger Ebert characterized it as humor only for those who enjoy laughing down on others.

He doesn't get it, Napoleon might have been a nerd, geek or what have you, but his self confidence made him cool, he wore his geekiness well.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:11 pm
I liked it because it was different. I would put it in the same category with films like PECKER, and WELCOME TO THE DOLL HOUSE.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:39 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I thought it was the most awkward set of characters I have seen.

That's an understatement! Very Happy

Craven de Kere wrote:
Napoleon Dynamite is something people too far removed might not get.

Um, I'm scared. I got it.

Daughter (15) bought it the other day. She and our 14 year old son had been talking about what they had heard about it and had wanted to see it for a while.

We thought it was hilarious, but we tend to be people watchers. Bear wasn't impressed. I didn't find humor in laughing down at the characters. The humor, to me, was more in the constant surprise of their actions / reactions - or lack of. Things you would expect to get a big reaction, get none. (shooting a cow) Grandma having a boyfriend is made into as big a deal as they make of anything.

I wouldn't have paid $7.50 per for all of us to see it at the theater, but it's worth a $3.99 rental, IMHO.

(Yes, we are repeating the lines any time we can fit them into the conversation around here.)

"What are you gonna do today?"

"Anything I want to do. Gosh!"
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:42 pm
hmmm very nice... i must see this now... i must...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:45 pm
You'll have to let us know when you have. There are scenes I want to talk about and can't... I can't stand ruining movies for others.

I also think the "soundtrack" was brilliant in setting the tone. It just fit so perfectly.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:47 pm
will do ma'am... Smile i hate it too... so thanks for not ruining it
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:54 pm
The defining film of the new lowered expectations Unites States and its youth...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 08:31 pm
Yeah? Well, your mother goes to college!
0 Replies

dancingnancy

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 06:02 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
The defining film of the new lowered expectations Unites States and its youth...

I like to consider myself someone with thoughtful, discerning taste -- but I have to disagree with you. I just watched this film earlier today with my under-the-weather significant other, and we loved it. Having been adolescents in the 80s, we identified with soooo many of the details -- and were both howling throughout the entirety of the film. Priceless! We also watched Anchorman and Dodgeball -- which I also liked but on a silly level -- but would totally diss as "fine" feature films. However, Napolean Dynamite is brilliant! Just brilliant! (imho)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 06:45 pm
Don't mind Bear, Nancy.

I know it by heart after my daughter watching it every day for a month! Still makes me laugh.

Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 06:47 pm
They are cringingly awkward geeks, and they are endearing.

I was cheering right along with the crowd after Napoleon busts a move for his friend, Pedro.

I concur, the movie is brilliant.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 06:58 pm
Yes! And, I loved the view from the door to his bedroom when he first got the dance tape.

And the drawing he did of the girl he took to the dance.

There were so many favorite parts, I couldn't possibly choose just one.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:07 am
If you are 35-39 or a teenager, you probably liked this movie. If you are over 40, you likly got up and left the room.

If you liked this movie, you probably also prefer Metallica over, say, Nugent.

But that's your problem.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:28 pm
I'm 47 and hate both Metallica and Nugent but loved
Napoleon Dynamite. I like films where the nerds triumph!!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 11:47 am
Wow, Bill Gates actually posts here under an alias. Who knew?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 12:44 pm
I'm pushing 42, and prefer Elton and Billy Joel over Metallica or Nugent. I had that preference in the 80's as well.

Does that make me weird, or something?
0 Replies