Trip to Italy, Part 1--Bologna, Venice, Parma

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:44 pm
hmmm, famous cheesemaking town.. (I didn't know that there was a city by that name).

http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/travel_guides/italynorth.htm#Gorgonzola
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:45 pm
Osso
I'm at home at present - and it takes forever to download these things - at work - I can check these things.
(better get skates on - 6.45am - and still wasting time here! Smile )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:51 pm
Well, get skating, gurl...
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:48 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Am I mixing it up with someplace else that starts with a B, or is it Bergamo that has a high city and a low city, altitude wise? I seem to remember that the high part is more expensive. And is that the city with a fabulous old wooden bridge?

Yes: Bergamo alta and Bergamo bassa. Bergamo alta has a really beautiful medieval center... I went there only once, but I don't remember the wooden bridge Smile
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:52 pm
JoeFX wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder why I alsways thought it was to the NW instead of the NE.

Anyways, Bergamo does indeed have two parts: Città Alta where the old part of town is and Città Bassa where (yeah, you guessed right) the modern buildings are.

Don't know about the bridge though.

Thanks Raphilion, do these singers have a particular style?

Pop music. De Gregori, De andrè and Guccini write wonderful lyrics, IMHO, Vasco Rossi and Ligabue are a little more on the "rock" style Smile
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 04:15 pm
Ok, written down in my music to check out list. Thanks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 07:20 pm
I ordered some cd's from those folks. One has arrived here so far, by Vasco Rossi, Buono o Cattivi, which I've just listened to while packing two 3 x 4 foot paintings, tape, tape, tape. Of course it is in italian with no translation and I don't have the oomph right now to work it all out. But, hey, good packing music! His orchestration seems similar to both Lucio Dalla's and more, to Zuccero Fornachiari's.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:15 pm
So I played Vasco Rossi's cd and then I played my olden Lucio Dalla - Dall'America, and, musically, I go for Lucio's disc...
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 03:11 am
Today I went with a guy who is somehow related to me who went to Bergamo from February to July with the same school exchange program, he showed me all his pictures, narrated his trip, gave me tips in a good 7 hours. It's great to have someone who has just passed half a year there.

I still haven't received the letter of acceptance but it should arrive anytime soon.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:06 pm
Joe, did you get your letter yet?

I've gotten the rest of the cd's I ordered.

First, a 2-cd disc by Ligabue called Giro d'Italia. I really like, in particular, track 5 on the second cd , "Ho messo via".

Have de Andre's Mi Innamoravo di Tutto, De Gregori's Rimmel, and Francesco Guccini's "Fra la Via Emilia e Il West" - haven't listened to those yet. (I keep putting Ligabue back on...)
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 04:25 pm
No, I'm starting to get worried although the person in charge of student exchange in my school says not to worry.

I'll contact the italian consulate to let them know about my position. I also plan to buy the plane tickets today as I found STA Travel (Student's fare) the best option, my uncle will pay for it as I can make it tax deductible via the school so it's great.

I tried to buy it yesterday but couldn't via Internet so I'll make the phonecall today.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 11:34 pm
Bought the tickets, I'm leaving Sept. 9 from San Diego, stopping in Atlanta and heading straight to Milan from there. Return flight comes Jan. 23.

I'm officially in the "I have the plane tickets so I really am doing this" phase.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 08:04 am
Fantastico! (I trust that's a word..)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 07:16 pm
Oh my. I had to look Fabrizio deAndre up, his voice makes me, er, very happy, listening to Mi Innamoravo de Tutto...
Sigh.

http://www.italica.rai.it/eng/principal/topics/bio/deandre.htm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 07:19 pm
Well, gee, he had an interesting life...
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 03:43 am
ossobuco wrote:
Joe, did you get your letter yet?

I've gotten the rest of the cd's I ordered.

First, a 2-cd disc by Ligabue called Giro d'Italia. I really like, in particular, track 5 on the second cd , "Ho messo via".

Have de Andre's Mi Innamoravo di Tutto, De Gregori's Rimmel, and Francesco Guccini's "Fra la Via Emilia e Il West" - haven't listened to those yet. (I keep putting Ligabue back on...)

Beautiful choices! I like all those albums very much. Most of them are a collection of the most popular (and Beautiful, inteed) songs. Well, Ossobuco, listening to those albums you can have a good idea of the music I like the most Smile
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 03:52 am
JoeFX wrote:
Bought the tickets, I'm leaving Sept. 9 from San Diego, stopping in Atlanta and heading straight to Milan from there. Return flight comes Jan. 23.

I'm officially in the "I have the plane tickets so I really am doing this" phase.

Wonderful! :wink:

Let me just know when you will come in Rome Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 05:55 pm
Kicky, have you tried this place yet??

http://events.nytimes.com/2005/08/24/dining/reviews/24rest.html?pagewanted=2&8nyh&emc=nyh
0 Replies