Sat 8 Jan, 2005 08:27 pm
Hey everyone.i just wanted to know how you fry shrimp? like what do you do? how long do you cook it? what temperate do i set it to? etc etc
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,040 • Replies: 19
Topic Closed
No top replies

Joe Nation

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 05:41 am
How's about this:

Albert Stockli's Shrimp in Beer Batter
1 12 oz can light beer
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon paprika
16 to 20 medium shrimp
juice of 2 lemons
salt
fresh ground pepper
Worcester sauce
1 cup flour
oil -- for deep-frying

Pour the beer into a large bowl. Sift the flour, salt, and paprika into the beer, whisking until the batter is light and frothy. (The batter may be used immediately or stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, but be sure to whisk it occasionally).
Remove the shells from the shrimp, leaving the tails intact. Wash and remove the black line running down the center if you wish (for aesthetic reasons only). Dry the shrimp and sprinkle with lemon juice, salt, pepper and a few drops of Worcestershire.
Heat at least 2 inches of oil in a frying kettle or electric fryer. Just before it reaches 375F, quickly dredge the shrimp with flour, shaking of excess then dip in the beer batter, coating well, and drop them into the hot fat (do this in 2 batches). When they are brown on one side -- less than 1 minute -- turn and brown them on the other side. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with lemon wedges and Watermelon pickles, if you wish.
Recipe from "The LL Bean Book of NEW New England Cookery"
0 Replies

swallowed by the cracks

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 06:11 am
Put the green(uncooked) shrimps in a pan with a bit of oil and garlic. Cook them until they start to go pink and then once hard, remove them. then eat them.
0 Replies

superjuly

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 06:18 am
swallowed by the cracks wrote:
Put the green(uncooked) shrimps in a pan with a bit of oil and garlic. Cook them until they start to go pink and then once hard, remove them. then eat them.

Hmm... It is absolutely delicious!!
0 Replies

swallowed by the cracks

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 06:35 am
Thank you july. Its the first time I have ever been complimented on my cooking lol
0 Replies

superjuly

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 06:41 am
No prob.
But seriously, it is one of my favorite shrimp dishes.
Do you make 'em with or without the shell/head?? I leave 'em on. I think it tastes better that way. It's just too messy to eat though. Totally worth it.

Welcome to a2k, BTW.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 06:50 am
Toss in a splash of dry sherry just near the end, and you have some classic Tapas.
0 Replies

swallowed by the cracks

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 07:23 am
you peel the shell except for the tail. the other thing you should also do is take out the black line at the top of the shrimp.
0 Replies

panzade

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 08:41 am
I remember Tapas in Madrid featured the shrimp with the head on and NOT deveined..we're a little fussier in the USA.
0 Replies

JPB

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 12:34 pm
I'm going to try Joe's beer battered ones. They sound great. I don't normally fry foods but these sound too good to not try.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 12:38 pm
Don't forget to play some parrothead music while you are mixing up the margaritas.
0 Replies

JPB

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 12:40 pm
fried shrimp and margaritas... I'm a happy woman!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 12:56 pm
You've got two "how do I fry shrimp" topics going, and I and Merry Andrew answered the first one, which only has our responses, so I went over there and copied them -

Osso -

"I don't fry them, I saute them, and not long at all. I do it in batches so that the shrimp are laid out on the pan in only one layer. I toss 'em til they're pink on both sides. That's it.

Others will differ..

The occasional time I've been able to spring for the really jumbo shrimp, I've grilled them, also a fairly short time, til pink on both sides.

This reminds me of a friend of a friend making coquille St. Jacques for a luncheon.. I swear she cooked them almost an hour. And my niece's mother, from Liberia, cooks them almost an hour. I can't do that... "

Osso again -

"Ah, but you are asking about frying, which I guess involves breading them and putting in a deep fat fryer.
Someone will probably appear with a good recipe for that."

Merry Andrew -

"It ain't gonna be me. I buy my shrimp cooked and serve 'em cold with a salsa picante."
0 Replies

Idaho

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 01:44 pm
To ensure they are NEVER tough at all:

1st, boil 1 cup water with 1/2 C sugar, 1/2 C salt, for about 1 minute.

Add ice to cool the liquid to about cold tap-water temp.

Add shrimp and let them sit in the brine for 30 minutes.

The shrimp will plump up a bit.

Then cook however you like - the recipes above are great. You will never have a tough shrimp again - it's nearly impossible to overcook them if you do this first.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 02:23 pm
I hadn't heard of that, and it sounds useful, Idaho.
0 Replies

panzade

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 02:36 pm
Thankee...and spuds...soak 'em in water for an hour before you deep fry em
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 03:10 pm
What a good idea, Idaho.

I too do not really ever fry shrimp. I saute them in butter, garlic and basil. Or just the butter and then mix them into some pesto pasta.

Joe (let me re-fill your plate there.) Nation
0 Replies

JPB

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 04:38 pm
Joe, you're saying all the right words today. I became a pesto fanatic last summer when I planted about 20 too many basil plants and ran out of uses for fresh basil long before I ran out of fresh basil to use. I started making pesto once a week. I'd make shrimp or chicken with pesto pasta and then freeze up a few containers of the pesto. By the time the first frost hit I had enough pesto to continue the weekly tradition until June when I can start cutting fresh basil again. No one here is sick of it yet but I do need to broaden my uses for pesto.

Any great uses for pesto out there?
0 Replies

Eva

Sun 9 Jan, 2005 07:52 pm
I broil them in butter and garlic with oregano, rosemary and a little bit of freshly ground black pepper. Serve over pasta. Easy & everyone loves them.

Pesto is great on sandwiches, btw. A little sliced chicken breast, a thin slice of Swiss cheese, a thick slice of tomato and a big slathering of pesto...toast slightly and....mmm.......
0 Replies

Idaho

Mon 10 Jan, 2005 05:00 pm
Pesto mixed with sour cream is a nice variation on pasta. Or, pesto mixed with cream cheese - use it to stuff mushrooms, or as a dip or sandwich spread.
0 Replies