I see it in my mind.

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 02:36 pm
One of the problems that I have always had when creating is that what is in front of me never matches the image in my mind. So I keep working on it and working on it even though I know that I should stop.

Is what we see in our minds even possible to do?

Right now I am working on a logo and I can see in my mind exactly what I want it to look like. The problem is whenever I try it on paper the type gets skewed to much and becomes unreadable... I am beginnig to think that what I see in my mind is physically not possible to do. But I keep trying because in my mind the type is readable... it is very frustrating.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 641 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 02:55 pm
That's a familiar lament. One thing I figured out is that I can almost never get what is in my mind exactly on paper -- but if I try hard enough, later when I get some distance what IS there is pretty cool. This is why I often can't stand something I'm working on when I'm working on it, and then come back to it later, after the initial mind-image has been erased, and really like it on its own terms.

Anyway, I think its a universal artist's lament.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 03:25 pm
Yeah... it drives me crazy. I know I should stop but I just can't help myself.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 06:42 am
I think that's maybe a graphics/illustration/design problem? where you have a much clearer picture in your mind of the finished piece.

I have certain ideas of what I want the painting to be like but it often takes on a life of its own and evolves very differently in response to colours and marks and accidental stuff. (talking more studio large paintings here than plein air work).

I'm working on a series of landscapes now, where I wanted the colours to be primarily reds and the image semi abstract. The paintings are about making it work and I had no clear cut idea of the finished pieces when I started - one of them keeps changing dramatically in response to its needs (if I put a flash of cadmium here then it needs a touch of dark there to balance it etc etc etc)
0 Replies