Organic tomato ketchup is healthier

Badboy

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:21 am
There is a snippet in the Guardian Thursday January 6 2005 that says that Organic tomato ketchup contains 3 times more of the cancer-fighting chemical lycopane than non-organic brands.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,969 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 11:58 am
I don't believe that, because Organic is still an unregulated term. You can call pretty much whatever you want organic.

Do you have any -specific- brands that they measured?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:03 pm
remember this t shirt?

Eat ****..It's Organic.. Laughing
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:10 pm
Actually, organic ketchup tastes so much better than
regular one, just for that mere reason I buy it.

Same with eggs and milk by the way.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:12 pm
I put kethcup on my eggs...and horseradish sauce hmm hmm hmm...in fact it's 1:15 now...time for breakfast...I think I'll go make some and some sausage...maybe fry up some potatoes.....screw the cholesterol...who wants to live in this world?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:15 pm
Oh yeah, horseradish I like too.

I have this twisted recipe only I like: sliced celery root, cooked
to bite, with a sauce of sour cream and horseradish.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:25 pm
Portal Star wrote:
You can call pretty much whatever you want organic.

That's not true, at least not for most countries. (The EU has very strick regulations for example.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:30 pm
Quote:
Organic ketchup protects against cancer
08 January 2005
From New Scientist Print Edition

ORGANIC varieties of tomato ketchup contain three times as much of a cancer-fighting chemical called lycopene as non-organic brands.

In the US, tomato ketchup comes in purple and green varieties as well as the traditional red. Betty Ishida and Mary Chapman at the Agricultural Research Service in Albany, California, wondered if the colouring might be indicative of low levels of lycopene, the pigment that makes tomatoes red. The chemical has been shown to help protect against breast, pancreatic, prostate and intestinal cancer, especially when eaten with fatty foods. There is also evidence that lycopene can reduce the risk of heart attacks (New Scientist, 23 December 2000, p 4).

The researchers tested lycopene levels and antioxidant activity in 13 ketchup brands: six popular ones, three organic, two store brands and two from fast-food chains. Purple and green ketchups had a similar lycopene content to their plain red counterparts. But organic ketchups excelled, with one brand containing 183 micrograms of lycopene per gram of ketchup, about five times as much per weight as a tomato. Non-organic brands averaged 100 micrograms per gram, with one fast-food sample containing just 60 micrograms per gram (Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, DOI: 10.1021/jf0401540). If you want high lycopene levels, says Ishida, the rule of thumb is to pick the darkest red ketchup.
Source
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 02:45 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Portal Star wrote:
You can call pretty much whatever you want organic.

That's not true, at least not for most countries. (The EU has very strick regulations for example.)

I'm from Texas, and we don't. I keep forgetting that this is an international forum.

But I will admit, the eggs and milk -do- taste better.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 05:13 am
The redder,the better,if I remember correctly
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:01 pm
Badboy wrote:
The redder,the better,if I remember correctly

Unless they add dye, of course.
0 Replies