Atheists, can I get an 'Amen'? :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,489 • Replies: 65
No top replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:10 pm
And the point you are trying to make is....?

Hell, as best as I understand it, is a place of condemnation and seperation for eternity from God.

From the article, "Jesus used the word gehenna, not hell, and his audience understood quite well that gehenna meant a place of condemnation"

The audience Jesus was speaking to would have understood Him to mean a place of condemnation, thus translating the word Gehenna as "hell" gives a clearer understanding to modern readers than using the word Gehenna. Most modern readers would not understand what Christ was referring to.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 01:19 pm
What makes you think I was leaning in any spacific direction? I merely led you to an informative link and then made a joke afterwards. Don't be so quick to judge, you've no idea what my opinions are on the issue :wink:
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 01:21 pm
Hi
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:41 am
Sanctuary wrote:
What makes you think I was leaning in any spacific direction? I merely led you to an informative link and then made a joke afterwards. Don't be so quick to judge, you've no idea what my opinions are on the issue :wink:

That's why my first question was what the point was in posting this info. I followed that up with what I did because of the comment you made following the link.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:03 am
Re: The True Hell
Sanctuary wrote:
Humor yourselves.

Atheists, can I get an 'Amen'? :wink:

Wikipedia is an interesting repository of information on many subjects. For what would you like an amen?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 07:54 am
Biblio, are you being intentionally obtuse? The link was clearly an exposition of Gehenna (hell). It doesn't take any imagination to see the connection between hell and atheism.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 08:29 am
The closest thing to hell I know of is the world of men. Hell, as a place where you will be punished forever is nothing but propaganda from an institution that wants to control the actions of men.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:43 am
That'll work too, Cyr Laughing

To answer the questions of those of you who asked:

I said "Amen" to Atheists as this is their proof that, yet again, Christians take the word of the Bible far too literally. It's metaphors and analogies; not always meaning directly what they say. There is no underworld of hell. There was Gehenna. Gehenna was a widely-known threat to people of that time, they understood what the punishment would be. This doesn't mean that there is an actual hell; how we got from comparing someone's punishiment for whatever with a very horrible place of the times, to throwing ourselves into eternal damnation controlled by a guy in a red latex suit and horns, is beyond me. But then again, a lot of things people believe these days are.

Now, I thought that this would be a humorous topic of dicussion though apparently (not surprisingly however) some got a bit offended. I do appologize if I was questioning your faith, it was only meant as an interesting link. I do believe I'll leave my thread for you all to chew on... If I wanted to get into a philisophical debate, then I would have posted this in that section. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:53 am
Contrary to what appears to be your belief Sanctuary, I certainly was not offended (assuming you were speaking of me for one). Not sure where you would have gotten that from, but whatever. You can question Christian beliefs all you want, after all, that is the entire point of free will. God gave us minds to question and to decide for ourselves whether to believe in Him or not. I have no problem with anyone who believes differently than I or who questions my belief.

Now, are we all friends again??? :wink:
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:02 am
CoastalRat, what exactly do christians believe? I cannot find two christians who agree with eachother on that.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:24 am
Cyracuz wrote:
CoastalRat, what exactly do christians believe? I cannot find two christians who agree with eachother on that.

I will give you the easy answer Cyracuz. At least I will give you my simplified definition of a Christian. It is someone who believes that Jesus Christ is God incarnate who was crucified and died as punishment for our sins and who was resurrected and ascended into heaven, and acting on this belief repents of their sins. This is the basis of the gospel as based on Christ's statement recorded in John 3.

As for all the other stuff that different Christian denominations may believe, I don't get too caught up in arguing about. It is interesting to discuss, but has little basis on where you will spend eternity. It is not major stuff. Things like baptism by sprinkling or immersion (as one example of what you may be referring to).

Oh, and just as one other point, I believe there are many people who may say they are Christian but use it only as a label to distinguish themselves from other religious upbringing. Kinda like saying this is a Christian nation, when what we really are is a moral nation whose laws are based on Judeo-Christian codes of morality. IMO

Hope this answers your question.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:56 am
It does. But isn't it the duty of christians not to let others usurp their "thing"? If I make a statement and claim that it is true based on scientific methods that are not approved by the world of science, I will be lynched. (not literally of course). How is it that there exists catholic christianity, protestant christianity and so on. All these religions are based on the words of one man. Why then are there so many?
0 Replies

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:13 am
Cyracuz wrote:

My twin brother agrees with me.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:16 am
Cy, I am no expert, so everything I am saying is my opinion, so feel free to call me on something that does not make sense.

Anyway, once you get past my stated definition of what defines a Christian, man and our imperfections in understanding God takes over. How or why different doctrines of different denominations came into being is a bit beyond my current knowledge. I think too often Christians get too caught up in doctrinal disputes to the detriment of the Lord we purport to serve.

As to the differences between Catholic Christianity and Protestant Christianity....the Catholic Church goes beyond the Biblical record in believing in certain doctrines that have tenuous or non-existant scriptural basis (again, based upon my understanding). Such as the veneration of Mary and other saints, the belief in a purgatory, etc. Protestants restrict our arguing amongst ourselves to the scriptural record as handed down to us.

But again, unless scripture is clear on issues of our relationship to God, I believe it is best not to argue over the differences in the way we choose to worship and serve. The key is how each person responds to the message that Christ is God incarnate and died as atonement for our sins.
0 Replies

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:22 am
Cyracuz wrote:
The closest thing to hell I know of is the world of men. Hell, as a place where you will be punished forever is nothing but propaganda from an institution that wants to control the actions of men.

So that would be a description of congress then? Cool
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:28 am
I think the belief that Jesus was God incarnate is a catholic belief. Protestants believe he was a man. Protestantism arose around the 1500's as a result of the catholic church's monopoly on "truth". When the printingpress was invented a young priest by the name of Martin Luther decided that he would print the bible in german so that everyone could read it. Up until then it was only in latin, a language few understood. The result was that the bible was only available through the priests that recited it, and they put anything they could benefit from "into" the bible. No one had any means to control this until the printingpress was invented, and when it was, the result was protestantism. Maybe that's why it's called protestantism, as in protest?
0 Replies

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:32 am
Cyracuz wrote:
I think the belief that Jesus was God incarnate is a catholic belief. Protestants believe he was a man. Protestantism arose around the 1500's as a result of the catholic church's monopoly on "truth". When the printingpress was invented a young priest by the name of Martin Luther decided that he would print the bible in german so that everyone could read it. Up until then it was only in latin, a language few understood. The result was that the bible was only available through the priests that recited it, and they put anything they could benefit from "into" the bible. No one had any means to control this until the printingpress was invented, and when it was, the result was protestantism. Maybe that's why it's called protestantism, as in protest?

Maybe you should read the Bible first before you make such a comment.

Have you ever read this portion?:
"...God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation" (2 Corinthians 5:19).
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:46 am
I remember reading in the bible that Jesus himself denies being the son of god any more than anyone else.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:47 am
I have always been under the impression that Hell is the place where the bottles have holes in them but the women don't.....
0 Replies