A rose by any other name.

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 06:03 pm
This is probably a really stupid question but here goes....

My fiend sent me an email titled "Don't shop here", reading:

http://www.christianbooksandthings.com/cbtees5.htm

This is part of their "alternate" web site. They have a site
cleansed of the KKK stuff they sell to the regular Christians
who don't realize what they are about.

Interesting.

<end>

So I check it out, of course, and I'm warning you that you might find it pretty offensive, like I did.

Being a curious person, I then typed in www.christianbooksandthings.com and found a web site that didn't say anything about the KKK.

I clicked on "Tees" and found a lot of regular God and Jesus type stuff.

Is this really the same company?

How do they have "alternate sites" at the same address?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,970 • Replies: 53
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 06:17 pm
Okay, like I said, I'm a curious person.

I started hitting "next page" on the site my friend sent me and it turned into the regular site so it is indeed the same company.

How do they hide this stuff?

And, if they're so proud - why do they hide it?

I'm beginnng to feel this may not be an "Internet" question after all....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:45 pm
The "hidden" pages simply do not have a link from the main page.

It is like a book in the library that isn't in the card catalog. You can find it if you know it is there, but otherwise you would simply have to stumble across it.

I did note the Confederate battle flag shirts on the first T-shirt page from the main page; a hint that things might go deeper.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 02:08 pm
You're right - that should serve as a tip off that there might be more to the site than meets the eye.

It really seems absurd that if these people are so proud of their beliefs and their heritage that they would take such pains to hide it.

There was a girl that I worked with for a long time. A few years after she moved on it became known to me - with undeniable facts - that her husband was the head of one of the big skin-head groups.

I was completely floored. I would have never suspected her to be involved in that, never in a million years.

People who wear their racism on their sleeve are much less frightening to me than the ones who keep it hidden.
0 Replies

dancerchick2006

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 11:55 am
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad you are so right when you say that people may be offended by what they will find on that sight. i wanted to cry when i was reading some of that stuff. i am appalled at the fact that they call what they are supporting christian, i am by no means judging them i am however stating the obvious. God does not want us to hate people at all much less because of their skin color Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad this makes me very sad.....
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 03:05 pm
I'm with dancerchick. Animals in human's skin, calling themselves christians... Pitifull.
0 Replies

val

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 06:38 am
Cyracuz

The design of the shirts is very bad. Smile
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:39 am
I believe you val. Don't expect too much from these people who struggle so bravely against their own intelligence. Smile
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 11:57 am
You know, I don't suspect that the KKK attracts a lot of artist-types.

It is sad an pitiful that they do this under the guise of Christianity.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 03:13 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
I'm with dancerchick. Animals in human's skin, calling themselves christians... Pitifull.

Never seen a leopard beating up a panther for being black (interesting note, leopards and panthers are the same thing. One is just the black equivalent to our own species' african colouring). Sorry to say it but racism is a human failing, not an animal one.

But anyway, there's always one person in any group ready to give the rest a bad name.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 03:44 pm
boomerang wrote:
People who wear their racism on their sleeve are much less frightening to me than the ones who keep it hidden.

That's how I feel too. As Black people, we knew where we stood in the South. There was no confusion, no misunderstanding. Up North, people would smile in your face and pretend that all was cool but the moment you turned your back, they'd throw a rope around your neck.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 04:43 am
eoe - how horrible.

I read a fascinating book called 'One Summer In Between' in my teens

It opened my eyes to prejudice and the hidden kind you describe.
The (about her own experiences) book is about a black/coloured (don't know the PC description for the US - here people describe themselves as black so hope I'm not being offensive?) girl from the south, in the days of segregation, who is encouraged by her tutor at Uni to work in the north for the summer to open her eyes and deal with her prejudices - he's concerned that she's becoming very set in her views.

I had no idea of the racism, the segregation in buses etc, having been brought up in a family who'd travelled, lived abroad and didn't give a damn about race colour or creed.

The girl is helped off the bus on arriving in NY by the white conductor, who holds her elbow to steady her - she's left utterly speechless as this, it couldn't have happened in the south - the book then charts her dealing with her own and the hidden preconceptions and hidden prejudice of the north - a real eye opener for all (and me) - a really good book. Sorry I can't remember the author, it was some time ago but you can see the impression it made that I still remember the title.

just googled it and they have it on Amazon - author Melissa Mather.

I just might invest in a copy and reread to see if it is as good as I remember. Very Happy
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:34 am
From my own personal experience, I've encountered far less racism, open or hidden, since moving to the south 12 years ago. As a matter of fact, it's always been my suspicion that the last fulltime position I held here, as lead designer for a prestigious theatre, would not have been available to me at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago. Oh, I could have been a part of the design staff but lead designer? Wouldn't bet on it.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:42 am
right you are antibuddha. racism is a human concept, and what's more, it is totally devoid of any real value. The intermixing of human genes has gone on for such a long time that no one is purely one "race". Studies show that the mixing of genes in people are almost an equal mix of black white and indian genes with a slight overrepresentation of whatever your skincolor is. I'm white. That means that my genes are for example forty % white genes and thirty black and thirty indian. If Hitler wanted to purify the world and the arian race, then he was a few thousand years too late...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:18 am
Too true, eoe.

I grew up in the south and our neighborhoods were much more multi-cultural and open minded that I have found here in the Great Liberal West.

It was not until I moved here that I started hearing about "Jefferson State" and "The Northwest Imperative" and other such scary things.

At least the racists here are eco-friendly. Today's paper had a photo of the newest adopt a highway sign - the American Nazi Party.

<sigh>

I believe in freedom of speech but sometimes I have to remind myself why.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:34 am
boomerang wrote:
Today's paper had a photo of the newest adopt a highway sign - the American Nazi Party.

That's pretty scary. Are we moving forward or backwards?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:44 pm
sideways - noone seems to learn from history Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 04:00 pm
Not up, not down, not forward, just wayward. We'll just keep building tomorrow on the ruins of yesterday, thus shielding us from the true tasks, so that we can walk in our fathers' footsteps.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 01:07 am
Cyracuz wrote:
right you are antibuddha

Yay... I'm right! Very Happy

Cyracuz wrote:
human genes... genes...genes...genes

The modern knowledge of genetics is what will most likely end racism for good. Anyone who knows anything about genetics knows that racial interbreeding strengthens the resultant child. Harmful allelles concentrate within a given race through inbreeding. While each race has probably an equal ammount of the harmful genes they each have a different set. By interbreeding races you drastically reduce the chance of these genes continuing themselves.

Hurray for science Very Happy
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 09:35 am
Everyone the same? How boring is that?
0 Replies