The Bible and the Tsunami

Zane

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:49 am
Fascinating.

Does anyone fully understand the "power" of prayer? Or the exponential strength of the individual thoughts of many when gathered together either as a physical group or separately in spirit? I'm glad you say "Who knows?" because it's foolish to summarily reject the under-known and the mysterious.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:05 am
Zane wrote:
Fascinating.

Does anyone fully understand the "power" of prayer? Or the exponential strength of the individual thoughts of many when gathered together either as a physical group or separately in spirit? I'm glad you say "Who knows?" because it's foolish to summarily reject the under-known and the mysterious.

I would never "summarily reject the under-known and the mysterious", Zane.

That would be pretending to know...and my signature line tells how I feel about that.

But as regards "the power of prayer"...I will say this:

Most of the stuff I've seen offered as evidence that prayer works is about as self-serving as anything I've ever seen.

People "pray" and are cured...and the cure is ascribed to a god.

But the "cure" may have been on the way all the time. We don't often get data on the people who pray and get worse rather than better. And even if the "cure" is the result of the prayer...that does not necessitate a god responding to prayer. Obviously, it is possible that the prayer works because the mind can do stuff like that.

In any case, to the people who have on occasion said to me: Prayer can move mountains...I say:

I'll let you pray for a mountain to move...and you can enlist the aid of every minister, Imam, rabbi, priest, bishop, cardinal, and the pope also. You can enlist the aid of every practicing religious individual in the world.

After a year of praying, I get to use one boy scout...armed with a teaspoon...for ten minutes.

MY BET: I get more of the mountain moved by the boy scout with the teaspoon in ten minutes than you do with all that prayer in a year.

Any takers?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:13 am
Gooooo Frank!!Il supply you with the spoon if someone is dillusioned enough to take you up on it.

I think 'spiritual' things have to be seperated.
My top 2 are God and Mother Nature.

I believe in them both, both can be great, both can be horrid.
Just coz I believe in God in no way means that I pay him any attention at all.I do not live my life by God.

In the case of a Tsunami I belive it was nature in the form of shifting plates which then had a chain reaction.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:33 am
This is a MOST entertaining thread - thanks to ALL who have contributed thus far!!
0 Replies