The Bible and the Tsunami

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:00 am
The tsunami is a disaster of Biblical proportions which raises several questions.

At the end of the Flood story in the Bible, God promises Noah that he will never again send water to destroy man.

The notion of God putting limits on himself in re: his own creation is one issue. However, how do Biblical literalists feel about these tsunamis?

Are they an indication that God has broken his promise?

Or, has God renigged for his own reasons?

Or, if neither of the above is true, then who is the source of the tsunamis to those who disbelieve in Darwin and science?

Could God be punishing Asia for not curbing its population?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,048 • Replies: 43
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:04 am
No, it's just tectonic plates shifting...
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:05 am
Re: The Bible and the Tsunami
plainoldme wrote:

Hmm... I sure hope so. In a figurative way, of course.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:09 am
I know that tsunamis are just the reaction to the shifting of tectonic plates. I wrote this in a way that did not begin, "Want to hassle Bible Beaters?"
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:10 am
Could it be the promise referred to the scale of the destruction (as in everyone but the chosen family) by water and not deaths by water in general?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:24 am
Everyone knows that the tsunamis and earthquakes were man-made, as part of covert government operations: http://illuminati-news.com/great-wave.htm Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:32 am
it's the gay plague...every things the gay plague....don't you know any baptists?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:49 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
it's the gay plague...every things the gay plague....don't you know any baptists?

There's a gay plague? What do they call it, Blueboybubonic, or Asstastices? I hear that many religious folks who speak Greek refer to it as Testicles, in honour of the gay Greek warrior to whom Jesus appeared, and put him through much hardship, similar to Job of the OT. The story is in one of those manuscripts that never made it into the NT, possibly because of copyright infringement, and the fact that when it was written, the pronunciation of "Jobe" had turned into "Jawb", and that had strange connotations.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:52 am
Re: The Bible and the Tsunami
plainoldme wrote:
At the end of the Flood story in the Bible, God promises Noah that he will never again send water to destroy man.

The notion of God putting limits on himself in re: his own creation is one issue. However, how do Biblical literalists feel about these tsunamis?

It's easy to get out of the question. God never said in the Bible that he'd avoid killing people with water... read the passage from the King James Version:

Genesis 9:8-17
Quote:
And I will establish my covenant with you, neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth.
And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.

The tsunami didn't come very close to wiping out "all flesh."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:12 am
What has me stumped is why Gungasnake hasn't come into this thread and blamed the devistation on Bill Clinton.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:18 am
This is the first week of abortion clinic bombings Frank...he's busy... Razz Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:24 am
Nah, it's the global warming. All that hairspray in the air, seeped through the earth's crust, and caused the tectonic plates to crack and shift.

I blame the metrosexuals, who have brought this plague upon us. If all the guys went back to using Brylcreem, and Wildroot Cream Oil, all our problems would be solved! Laughing
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:30 am
We all know that Bill Clinton is responsible for all of the world's ills, especially those that happened prior to his birth.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:27 pm
Oh, go ahead and beat me. Cool
The Torah (the Oral Torah) says that whereas G-d will not destroy the world again by the Mabul (the Humungous, really, really impressive Flood), He will punish individual nations with water. As is pointed out in the Torah "when Pharoah's Army got drowneded!... O' Mary don' you weep!"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:38 pm
Moishe3rd wrote:
Oh, go ahead and beat me. Cool
The Torah (the Oral Torah) says that whereas G-d will not destroy the world again by the Mabul (the Humungous, really, really impressive Flood), He will punish individual nations with water. As is pointed out in the Torah "when Pharoah's Army got drowneded!... O' Mary don' you weep!"

Aretha Franklin was in the Torah? I should have paid more attention. :wink:
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 04:56 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
What has me stumped is why Gungasnake hasn't come into this thread and blamed the devistation on Bill Clinton.

Gungasnake has been topped by a couple of other geniuses who are even more elaborate in their world views. One has started a thread blaming the tsunami on the CIA. I won't help home him promote his vision by citing the URL...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 05:38 pm
God: 'Plenty more where they came from'.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 01:02 pm
Am reading a book on Medieval pilgrimages: one of the things folks did at that time was to make a model, out of wax or bread or lead or plaster or gold, of the body part that was cured. Modern pilgrims still do this in France and Italy. But, people in France did this during the Bronze Age: there are wells and dry shafts full of these offerings. What I guess I want to say by bring ing this up is that people have always been superstitious. And much of what some might call superstition, others would call religion.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 07:41 pm
Quote:

I always thought that NOT increasing your population was the sin, especially if you took an active role (ie contraception) in limiting family size.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 08:59 am
To have more than two children is to act irresponsibly. To have one child is to benefit humanity.

Birth control is a good.

First of all, human women are optimally capable of reproduction three times. More pregnancies than that are bad for the health of the mother and the children.

Second, why would birth control be a sin? Abstinence is bad for people. I am certain you are incapable of sexual abstinence. Birth control allows a couple to strengthen their relationship, increase their affection for each other, relax. In other words, sexual activity with responsibility (birth control) makes a person a better partner and therefore a better parent.

Third, I am serious when I say that children born today could well end up Soylent Green. That is irresponsibility and a sin.
0 Replies