TV Widescreen puzzle

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 06:15 pm
My Misubishi is a new 46" DLP which I ABed at the a major big screen store with Plasma and LCD and it was just as good a picture for several thousand dollars less.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 06:24 pm
I'll talk to my buddies on monday.

I was flip flopping between the LCD and the DLP and ended up with the LCD. At the store I work at they were about the same price.

I wouldn't buy a plasma for another few years. The bugs still need to be worked out. I saw a plasma come back to the store for sevice after a year and the repair bill was $2800.00.

On the other hand we have a plasma windmill display (I will post a pic if I can find one) that runs 14 hours a day 7 days a week for the past two years and it is still perfect. Hit or miss.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 06:26 pm
http://www.abtelectronics.com/about/images/gallery/gallery_attractions_13.jpg
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 06:30 pm
I found that the Plasma when watched fairly close up revealed the pixalization! I wonder how you even found an LCD of the same size at the same price. Not so here. I only paid $1500.00 for the Mitsubishi (I did end up buying their base and the component rack to match). I found the LCDs not as good on viewing angles as the DLP, although it's even best viewing straight on. The Mitsubishi does not have a non-glare screen so it does pick up one window if I'm sitting in on particular chair in the room. The trouble with the non-glare screens is they scatter the pixels so loose about 15% of the resolution.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 06:32 pm
I have the advantage of buying at cost. :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 08:10 pm
In my area, the local ABC digital broadcast went totally silent about two hours ago. So I've been watching the NFL game in San Diego over DirecTV channel 87. Guess what? It's a southern California feed and they are broadcasting flash flood warnings. Every time they do, it drops out of HD. I'm screwed, and not happy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 08:11 pm
Ah, so the markup on DLP's is actually more than on LCD's. I see. I was once a dealer for Panasonic electronics so I realize the markup is not comparable to furniture which is keystone and above.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 05:57 am
Lightwizard- My husband loves the DLP sets. I like the LCD better. My main concern is that in my next TV, I want something that I can pick up and move around. I have a 50" older monster TV now, and am very spoiled by my LCD computer monitor.

I had been reading though, that there have been problems with the DLP lamps (or whattever ya callem) that tend to burn out. Do you know anything about this?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 09:52 am
That was also one of the determining factors when I bought the LCD. I talked to the installers and the service techs, they said that the DLP's are still fairly new and they didn't quite trust them yet and the bulbs have a tendency to burn out, whereas LCD technology has been around forever.

My friend just had the bulb burn out on his, the nice thing is that the bulb is easy to replace but still costs a couple hundred dollars.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:14 am
Sorry, I used the DLP acronym incorrectly. I have the standard three gun rear projection, not the single projector which facilitates a cabinet much thinner, even close to only a foot. I still didn't see an appreciable difference in picture quality between the four devices but as Phoenix likes the idea of a flat screen, I'd go for the LCD. I have seen an image from a front projector HD DLP which requires a darkened room and the picture was about eight feet. It was spectacular but if one was too close the the screen, even the fine pixalization of HD began to become visable.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:33 am
Now it makes sense that the projection was less expensive. If I had the room I would have considered it. My condo is too small and is too bright for one. Good choice on the Mits. As far as big screens go they are the king. I delivered an 80" Mits and was surprised how good the picture was.

Phoenix- I'm not sure you will be wanting to "pick it up and move it around" They are not that heavy, 70 to 80 pounds, but are very awkward to carry. Sorry thats just the delivery guy in me coming out. :wink:
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:40 am
Quote:
Ah, so the markup on DLP's is actually more than on LCD's. I see. I was once a dealer for Panasonic electronics so I realize the markup is not comparable to furniture which is keystone and above.

The markup is higher the more expensive the item is if that makes sense.
Most of the midrange stuff isn't that bad but when you look at the highend audio it becomes outrageous on some items.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:47 am
I don't have a problem moving this set around and I do have room on the wall it is placed on. The technology of the standard rear projection is at its peak. I can see that the LCD would be good in a brightly lit room even with non-glare screens greying out the dark colors. There really isn't enough information on the optics of these formats. How much of the resolution is not lost, etc. The standard rear projection HD has abandoned the more sophisticated fresnel lens which increased the viewing angle and cut out some of the glare (there's still a problem with a lot of light clouding darkers colors and damping the resolution). I see little problem with viewing angle on my Mitsubishi set and not an appreciable problem with reflection. My sister and her husband have a huge rear projection set which is in a room with windows parallel to the set. They do have to close off the window coverings when viewing the the daytime if one sits off angle (reflection is 90 deg.).
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:51 am
Does the Mits still have the sensor that adjusts the brightness to the rooms light?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:59 am
No, and that doesn't seem to be a problem. I found that adjustment to be inaccurate anyway. I just adjust the contrast and brightness but the set has such deep blacks and bright whites that I don't notice much difference, especially on VOOM's channels like Equator which is all HD video (no film).
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 12:04 pm
I was wondering how well it worked. I just got to play around with it in customers houses. One customer was being a jerk to us so I turned it on and left a piece of the shipping tape over the sensor. I wonder how long it took him to figure that one out. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 12:15 pm
I turned it off on my old set in the menu configurations. For those who are lacking in adjusting their sets (likely not computer literate as well), they probably want it on. I don't think Mitsubishi believe the new digital sets needed it. The contrast and brightness of old analog signals was often very flaky.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 08:28 pm
Lightwizard- found a link that might help with the service codes check here
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 08:42 pm
Hey, thanks. I don't know if that will solve the problem of the two channels that expand the standard digital picture other than centering it which wouldn't make that much difference. You'd think they'd go the distance and stretch the edges of the picture to fill in those two inch borders on each side (well, it's slightly broader on the right side). It would have to be something I could do in a few seconds with the remote. I would maybe like to used the stretch option on the HD input except on those two channels it would overstretch and cut off a lot of the left and right hand side. Ah, well -- I think I'll be patient until they begin broadcasting the news, Ebert and Roeper, etc. in hi def!
0 Replies