A positive mindset/attitude is not enough

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 06:42 pm
Many people would tell you that, if you want your life to have good value, joy, beauty, love, and worth, to have a positive mindset where you believe that your life is good, beautiful, joyful, loving, and worth living. But it was never about the mindsets (our ways of thinking) themselves because they, themselves, do not actually give our lives any real good value, bad value, or worth. This is because having a positive or negative mindset is not any real positive or negative quality and, thus, no real good or bad value in your life. It would be no different than water.

Water is an actual quality and having the belief/mindset that you have it in your life would not give you any real water. In order to have water in your life, then you need actual water. With this being said, what would be the real positive and negative quality? It would be our positive and negative emotions. Positive emotions would be biochemical induced states such as a feeling of sexual arousal, a feeling of excitement or joy from getting a new movie, or a feeling of love.

Negative emotions would be something such as a feeling of despair, anger, sadness, or misery. Again, mindsets themselves are not the same thing as emotions. If you struggled with depression or misery, then just thinking to yourself that you are having a positive emotional state such as being sexually aroused or joyful would not give you any real sexual arousal or joy. That is, thinking and believing you are horny is not the same thing as actually being horny.

The same idea applies to having good and bad value in our lives. The positive and negative qualities (our positive and negative emotions) would be qualities of good and bad. So, if you wanted your life to have the greatest good value, then you would need to be in the most blissful state of your life. Likewise, if you wanted your life to have the worst value, then you would need to be in the worst negative emotional state of your life.

But who would want their lives to be the worst? I know I wouldn't. With all of this being said, even though positive and negative emotions are the only real good and bad in our lives, making wise decisions should still not be dismissed. For example, during my worst miserable moments, I have still chosen to get the help I needed. Likewise, during my most blissful moments, I have chosen to not do anything reckless.

I think only stupid people would use this whole idea of our emotions being the real good and bad as a means to do reckless and harmful things to themselves and/or others around them. One last thing here and this is an important question. Isn't everything I have just said here something we already know for a scientific fact? Wouldn't the qualities of good and bad have to be a scientific definition of good and bad?

Furthermore, wouldn't this also mean that all those famous and genius artists out there who have struggled with misery, depression, and despair had no real good value, worth, and beauty in their lives through creating their works of art regardless of what they believed otherwise? They would need at least a small degree of positive emotions mixed in with their misery to give them some good values in their lives.

If that is so, then positive emotions are the only way to live and they are the only way to be an artist since they are the only things that can truly make our lives and artistic endeavors good, beautiful, and worth living for. My own personal experience supports this quite well. I have struggled for 10 years with the worst misery and hopelessness induced by stressful life events and obsessive thinking. They were the worst negative emotional states of my life.

During that whole entire time, not a single moment was any real good value, beauty, joy, or worth in my life regardless of the fact that I believed certain things still had those said values such as the idea of getting the help I needed. After all, me getting the help I needed to regain my positive emotions would certainly be a good and beautiful thing for a hedonist such as myself. But the fact that there was no real good values in my life at all supports this whole idea I've just talked about.

But the moment I have fully recovered from such miserable states was the moment all of the good values were, in a way, magically brought back into my life again which supports the idea that there is something more that gives our lives good value than our mindsets. It would have to be the good quality (my positive emotions) being restored back into my life again.

It was like I was someone deprived of the sacred water of goodness I needed in my life and personally defining it to be there didn't work for me since it wasn't the real sacred water. It is only once I have fully recovered that this sacred water, metaphorically speaking, has returned back into my life again. It was like there was something blocking the flow of it in my life which created a drought. Recovering was like getting rid of that blockage and, thus, allowing the flow of this sacred water back into my life again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,637 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 09:08 pm
@MozartLink,
I just read the tittle sorry...
Anyway yeah a wingless bird can't fly, why is this a topic?
cameronleon

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:13 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Anyway yeah a wingless bird can't fly, why is this a topic?

Not a topic?

A criminal was deep down with his attempts to rob a bank.

His accomplice told him to be "positive". He encouraged him to change his spirit to a positive attitude.

Yes, they can, they can!

Then, they went to the bank and stole the money.

I don't see why people only relate "positive attitude" with what is considered as "good".

dalehileman

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2017 10:43 am
@MozartLink,
Moz you're to be congratulated for determination, hope, and ability. I write a lot too but not near as profound

Given as usu no Prof, some [few] of us might like to know something about you [if in fear of ID I'm [email protected]], what drew you to a2k, how long that OP took ya

...oh and how your twitter sorry relates to a wingless bird
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2017 10:51 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
I just read the tittle sorry...
Fil you've delighted my week

Mt BH, who is much smarter'n me, says, 'twitter story,' which after all makes some sense
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 12:38 am
@MozartLink,
It seems to me that you are trying to connect dots.

Positivity, as a trait, is useful not because it provides value, joy or any other quality of life. It is useful because our subconscious minds cannot think in negatives. If I say to you 'don't think of an elephant' you must first think of the elephant in order to know what not to think of - it's impossible to otherwise process. This holds true for the whole of the subconscious.

For this reason when you hear a football team say 'we've got to stop dropping the ball'...you know they are going to drop it more, while those that say 'we've got to focus on ball control' improve (all other influences removed).

In terms of emotions - our non instinctual emotions are very strongly influenced by the stories that we tell ourselves about any given event (you see where this is going, right?).

I don't buy that sadness, anger etc are bad emotions (as a blanket label on such emotions). They can be. They can even be very destructive - but they can also be purposeful, necessary, and right.

Jealousy on the other hand, seems to serve little to no 'good' purpose that I can see.

Quote:
Wouldn't the qualities of good and bad have to be a scientific definition of good and bad?
No. Not unless it can describe love / mould into different cultural norms / mould into personal circumstances / integrate the 3 levels of instinct, emotion, and logic....I don't see any scientific definition fitting that.

Don't get me wrong - I rather enjoyed reading what you wrote. It shows thought, it shows a journey....and I wouldn't take anything I said as gospel. Perhaps just as food for thought.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 11:33 am
@cameronleon,
Quote:
Not a topic?
Cam, I 'gree most wholehartedly. It's guys like Moz, Vik who make a2k such an intriguing 'sperience doncha think
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 03:25 pm
@vikorr,
Like in pharmaceutics its all in the dosage...for instance even jealousy which is one of those major broken pillars that makes ppl extremely undesirable when in small quantities can fit the purpose of propell you to a goal rather then procrastinate.
Generally speaking I agree with you that everything can have a positive function.
...now that I speak of it, if it is a FUNCTION, I am having trouble thinking on what a "negative function" could mean in common sense coinage...
0 Replies

homeworkjoy

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 04:34 am
@MozartLink,
Yes, I think so. It actually depends on our environment , situation and especially the people around us. But be positive is always has a great benefit in life.
0 Replies