How to relieve lower back pain

JPB

Sat 1 Jan, 2005 02:19 pm
Heya,

I'm new to A2K but unfortunately not new to lower back spasms and pain. Just about a year ago I bent over to tied my shoe and couldn't get back up again. ouch just remembering. Anyway, I went through a couple weeks of hell and finally ended up at a chiropractor. She used ice for the first few days then started in with ice/heat.

She also gave me a group of back stretches that worked wonders. The first few you might try even while your back is hurting saving some of the more difficult ones for once you begin to feel better. All of these movements should be smooth and slow.

Back press: lie on back with feet on floor by your butt, knees bent. Press lower back into the floor or bed, release. Repeat 10 times.

Cat and dog: get on all 4s. Inhale, arch back (belly towards floor slightly); exhale, curve back toward ceiling. Repeat both directions 6 - 10 times.

Leg pulls: lie on your back, feet on floor by your butt. Using your hands on the backs of your legs if neccessary, pull your legs toward your belly, release. Repeat 10 - 12 reps.

Lower back extensions: Lie on stomach with hands near your shoulders. Push down on your hands lifting your shoulders and chest off the ground, relax back down. Repeat 10 times.

Bird dog: get on all 4s. stretch left arm out straight, hold for 2 counts, return. Repeat with right arm. Do 6 -10 reps with each arm.

Full bird dog: get on all 4s. stretch left arm out straight while stretching right leg straight back. Return to center, switch sides. Repeat both side 6 - 10 times.

There are others that get even more difficult but the first couple should help a bit and the rest will help strengthen your back to prevent recurrance. The other tidbit she told me is that most back injuries are a result of weak abs or compensating for another stressed joint such as bad knees. If your abs are weak or you have bad knees or hips then the back will attempt to take over as you compensate for other weaknesses. She suggested new shoes to help support my bad knees and lots of ab work to strengthen my core (only after my back improved, of course).

Hope you feel better soon!

edit: I forgot to add that I always finish up with another set of cat and dog. They are a great stretch and I'm always amazed at how much more flexibility I have for the second set.
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 1 Jan, 2005 03:48 pm
Thanks, Swimpy, Noddy & J_B.

Thank you for your concern & suggestions. Very Happy I actually had my best night's sleep in a while, so am feeling a bit more perky. As I've been stuck in what feels like a cotton-wool cocoon for the past few days I've decided I need to move! So I'm going to put on my runners & get some (gentle) walking in. I hope that helps my back, it'll certainly help my head!
I need to check that there's still life out there! Laughing

Thanks again, everyone. Much appreciated. And welcome to A2K, J_B! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:00 pm
msOlga - try a couple of J_B's gentle stretches at the end of today's walk. And then before and after tomorrow's walk.
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:10 pm
Yes, I will, ehBeth.
The hot & cold vegie packs helped, too, by the way. Thanks!
A nice, sunny temperate Melbourne day, perfect for a gentle stroll! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:30 pm
I'm very glad to hear that, msOlga.

I try to do the back press and leg pulls in the morning, on the bed - while I'm still warm.
Sometimes, just rounding my back helps to start loosening things up.
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:39 pm
Ah! I can see I'm gonna be an expert soon, ehBeth! Very Happy
OK, time to get moving .... slowly, slowly does it .....
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:55 pm
Progress report: A lot better, now. Just odd twinges. A friend suggested it might be sciatica, so I investigated on the internet. Yes, I think it may well be ..
0 Replies

littlek

Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:07 am
So, have you got an appointment with a chiropractor yet?

I think I'm in love with mine..... I started getting a neckflare up this weekend. I kept it in check by doing the stretches he gave me. Then on tuesday I went to get my neck cracked. It felt immediately better and today it's as good as it ever gets.
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:12 am
Great, littlek! Very Happy
You go often, I gather?

No, I thought, seeing there's been such a big improvement, that I might just leave it. If it flairs up again I'll go.
0 Replies

littlek

Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:20 am
I've been having back pain, in general for a decade and neck pain for about half that long. It gets so I have restless sleep and have a hard time handling the kids I care for. My neck would spasm severly a couple times a year. I wish I'd started going sooner. I have been to my current doc maybe 4 times - he works magic. I'd been to another doc twice and he was awful.

The good doc told me to come once a week for several weeks and then switched me to twice a month. My boss pays for one visit a month (boss=sister and she goes weekly to the same guy) and my mother gave me 2 visits for xmas. If I do the stretches regularly, I imagine I'll be able tostop going all together at some point.

Sure does make a huge difference. I hadn't been for 3 weeks and my neck got bad again.
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:23 am
Right, I see, k.
Maybe I should do the same, rather than wondering if this could happen again?
0 Replies

littlek

Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:38 am
well, maybe wait, but don't wait for too long - through too many crises.
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 6 Jan, 2005 12:54 am
Thanks, k.
Night night.
0 Replies

littlek

Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:06 am
dozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze
0 Replies