How to relieve lower back pain

msolga

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:44 pm
OUCH!

Somehow, I seem to have done something Question to my lower back, a couple of days ago. It hurt like hell the first day & a bit, now it's just a bit painful & uncomfortable. <small whimper>

Any hints of what to do/not to do over this 3 day long weekend? I have already tried the dlowan frozen packet of peas relief package. Anything else anyone can suggest?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 5,066 • Replies: 33
Topic Closed
No top replies

ehBeth

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:04 pm
not to do? do not bend and turn at the same time

that particular combo is brutal for the back

ya know - you've bent over to pick something up - you hear something - turn your head to look - and the next thing you know you're laid out on the floor, hoping one of your guests notice you haven't come back to the living room

depending on the cause of the pain, heat may work better than cold - depends on whether you've over-stretched something or are in spasm.

any idea on which it might be?
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:10 pm
Hey - I suggested alternating the peas with the hot water bottle!!!

You hafta LISTEN Msolga!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:10 pm
Not really, ehBeth. I haven't experienced this before. All I know is that it hurt like hell to bend at all & doing something like getting out of bed or driving the car was excruciating. It's much improved now but I still get twinges & little shooting pains if I forget & move too quickly. I think I've had a few too many pain killers, too.
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:12 pm
dlowan wrote:
Hey - I suggested alternating the peas with the hot water bottle!!!

You hafta LISTEN Msolga!!!

Yes, mum! :wink:
But hey, no hot water bottle! I looked.
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:15 pm
Goodness gracious me....

Wadded towel dipped in hot water and squeezed out??

Damn

Hot water bottles are great for this sort of thing...

warm a towel in the oven???
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:15 pm
Have you got two bags of frozen peas, msOlga?

If so - one can be heated, wrapped in a towel and applied to the painful area, while the other is reserved for cold packing. A kinesiologist I used to work with recommended having many bags of frozen peas (or corn) for just this purpose. Inexpensive, and easily compostable.
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:17 pm
Beth is a genius!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:21 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Have you got two bags of frozen peas, msOlga?

If so - one can be heated, wrapped in a towel and applied to the painful area, while the other is reserved for cold packing. A kinesiologist I used to work with recommended having many bags of frozen peas (or corn) for just this purpose. Inexpensive, and easily compostable.

Thanks, ehBeth! Very Happy
I just looked. Of the unopened packets: One peas & one spinach. That's the best I can manage today.
What you reckon?
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:22 pm
dlowan wrote:
Beth is a genius!!!!

Yes, indeed! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:26 pm
A genius with a history of back owwies that has lately (knock on a big hunka wood) been not too horrid.

I'd go with the spinach heated, and the peas for frozen. The thing is that you want the package to mold to the area in pain, and frozen spinach wouldn't be very pliable. Smash the bag of frozen peas against the counter, so you've got all the little frozen pellets instead of a clump in a bag.
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:32 pm
I will! Thanks, ehBeth! Very Happy

(& may your back owwies stay well away! Indefinitely.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:55 pm
Heating pad....boil a brick/stone and wrap to avoid burning

Flat on your back rest.

What a wretched development just before gardening season.l

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Montana

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 10:02 pm
Oh Olga! My heart goes out to you and I feel your pain. I hurt my back once when I carried a heavy tv upstairs alone. I never did that again. I would suggest you invest in a hot water bottle or a heating pad. It does wonders for back pain. Also, get plent of rest and let it heal. Don't lift anything heavy.

(((HUGS))))
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 10:05 pm
Aw, thank you for your thoughts & advice, Noddy & Montana! Very Happy

It's bloody inconvenient, I can tell you Evil or Very Mad ... But getting better, bit by bit. Razz
0 Replies

Montana

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 10:13 pm
I know the feeling. I think the back takes the longest to heal. Be very careful with it, my friend!
0 Replies

littlek

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 10:52 pm
movement. If it doesn't hurt too bad (make you jerk back) walking and moving gently is good to do - sitting isn't good.
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:04 pm
Thanks, k! Guess I'd better move away from this here computer!

And a happy new year to you! Very Happy
0 Replies

Swimpy

Sat 1 Jan, 2005 08:59 am
Lie on the floor with your legs on a chair or the couch, knees bent at 90 degrees. See a Dr. if it doesn't get better within a day. You may have a slipped disc.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Sat 1 Jan, 2005 01:11 pm
Are you feeling a bit perkier today? Sleep can be a great healer.
0 Replies