What is the most memorable meal you've ever had?

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 07:05 pm
What were your most memorable gastronomic experiences?

I've had two:

One, in Italy, on a small farm where they grew everything and made it from scratch. I'm not exaggerating - they grew the wheat that made the pasta, the olives that made the oil, raised the chickens that they slaughtered, grew the peaches that made the brandy, the grapes that made the wine, etc. And they were wonderful cooks. everything was sinfully delicious, and the wine flowed like water. We had proscuitto and melon and some other things for appetizers, pasta with fresh herbs and tomatoes and something with chicken for the main meal, and hand-made biscotti that we dipped in peach brandy for dessert. We (my classmates - I went with the Latin club) ate outside in their garden at a big wooden table shaded under a portico, with the animals running around nearby, and the view of their massive farm.

The other gastronomic experinece was at a restaurant in Las Vegas called Tsunami. I ordered (shared with a friend) an appetizer of salmon sushi, followed by a perfectly cooked flllet minon with truffles and a touch of wasabi. I have dreams about going back to Las Vegas if only to eat that dish again.

I've also been to more than a couple memorable wedding feasts, but they are a bit of a blur (maybe because of champagne?)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,568 • Replies: 10
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 07:07 pm
I promised I wouldn't tell her name...
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:19 pm
If it wasn't in a restuarant ...or someone else fixing it for me...lol, does that count?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:54 pm
All Biblical translations seem to have a similar meaning:

Quote:
Better is a dinner of herbs, where love is, Than a stalled ox and hatred therewith. ASV

Better is a simple meal where love is, than a fat ox and hate with it. BBE

Better is a meal of herbs where love is, than a fatted ox and hatred therewith. DBY

Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith. KJV

Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred with it. WBS

Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith. JPS

Better 'is' an allowance of green herbs and love there, Than a fatted ox, and hatred with it. YLT Allowance

http://bible.cc/proverbs/15-17.htm

Give me charming company and I can swallow burnt toast and water tinged with bleach.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 01:19 am
Memorable for any reason, food or otherwise. Except for cannibalism or oral sex, Bi Polar. Freakin' sicko.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:38 am
The one and only time we ever ate in a four-star french rest. We bid on and won a gift certificate to this place at a silent auction and saved it for almost a year to celebrate our anniversary. It was a 6-course, wine included, unbelievable evening. I told them it was our anniversary dinner when we made the reservation. They printed a special menu with our names on top (calling me back to verify the unusual spelling of our names) and the chef autographed it for us. An amazing night!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:50 am
Portal Star wrote:
Memorable for any reason, food or otherwise. Except for cannibalism or oral sex, Bi Polar. Freakin' sicko.

you wound me with your sharp words. I shall retreat to the back of my den and contemplate your snub <sniff>
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:30 pm
That would be our Thanksgiving Dinner in the Woods. We eat our festive meal up in the mountains each year. Everything is cooked over an open fire, the turkey is smoked...roasted ears of corn, beans...baked potatoes...etc. Its not a traditional dinner, but it works for us.

The fun thing about it is, we usually end up with 20 people or so with us. None of which are family...we are all just friends. We eat, drink and have a good time around the fire afterwards.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:43 pm
Gosh... Shiver, that sounds nice.

We had a wonderful meal in Paris... I wrote about it in the local newspaper... it was published and I won first prize -- a meal with the food critic. The special part of it was mostly in the wonderful service and the ambience of the place, because, truth be known, it was a simple meal of steak, potatoes & peas, with raspberries for dessert. Of course, there were fantastic seasonings and sauces. It was a teeny tiny place that somebody's uncle knew about, a couple of blocks from the Hermes store and down a little alley.

I should dig out that paper....
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:16 am
Several come to mind:

Eating indian-style baked salmon at Tilicum Village in Seattle.

The Black Cat, Hyannis, Cape Cod - had fresh fish and it was so good that it broke into pieces with the touch of a fork. Practically required no chewing - the fish seemed to melt on my tongue and slide down my throat. My parents are now unable to order fish in a restaurant since nothing can measure up. They tell me they are now ruined.

I got a steak and mashed potatoes in a restaurant once (can't remember the name of it) and I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

A Chinese restaurant (in Dublin, Ireland) where myself an 11 friends went to celebrate something. We ordered everything on the menu - a different dish each - and sat at a table with the lazy-susan-type spinning centerpiece. We all nibbled bits of each others meals and then put it on the lazy-susan to pass on to the next person. Each dish tasted better than the last ... and the wine went down a treat too!

A clam-bake in Maine.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:27 am
clam bakes in Maine are fabulous. I grew up in No. New England and would occasionally go to Maine or NH coastline to get steamed lobster at a lobster shack. We would drive to the beach and eat our lobsters. Just lobster and butter - nothing else was necessary. Yum.

Now I live in the midwest. We have one of the most famous seafood restaurants in the country nearby. I ordered the lobster once. I don't have to do that again, I'm an admitted lobster snob.
0 Replies