Actor Jerry Orbach Passes Away at 69

caramel

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:43 am
Stage and Screen star Jerry Orbach lost his battle with prostate cancer and has passed away.

Born in the Bronx in 1935, Orbach grew up and studied drama both at the University of Illinois and Northwestern. He made his Broadway debut in Threepenny Opera. Orbach's Broadway credits included such hits as Carnival, Guys and Dolls, Annie Get Your Gun, and the creation of roles in both Chicago and 42nd Street. Orbach was nominated for three Tony awards and won for his role in Promises, Promises in 1969. He also created the role of El Gallo in the long running hit, The Fantasticks.

Orbach also appeared in over 40 films including Dirty Dancing, The Flamingo Kid, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Disney's Beauty and the Beast (voice) and Mr. Saturday Night. He was also widely known for his role as Detective Lennie Briscoe on TV's Law & Order.

Orbach was had recently turned 69. He is survived by wife, Elaine Cancilla and son, Christopher.

http://broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=1872
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,168 • Replies: 14
No top replies

mac11

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:47 am
Oh no - he was a wonderful actor. I didn't realize that he had cancer, which explains why he left Law & Order after last season.

I saw him in 42nd Street over 20 years ago. He blew me away with a powerful voice and presence.

I wonder how he felt about achieving widespread fame after so many years in the business?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:48 am
Oh damn.............He was such a great actor, with a wonderful personality. And he was relatively young. He will be missed.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:52 am
He was wonderful, and will be missed by many.
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:18 am
mac11 wrote:

I saw him in 42nd Street over 20 years ago. He blew me away with a powerful voice and presence.

I also saw him in 42nd Street in New-York and I agree with you he was quite amazing.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:22 am
As everybody on A2K probably knows, I am a "Law & Order" freak. Jerry was like a friend in my house, practically every day, for many years.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:27 am
I am a big fan, after seeing his wonderful work on "Law and Order" for years, and this is a great loss.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:46 am
I'll miss he him, too. First Susan Sontag, now Orbach. Two faves of mine, though for different reasons...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:54 am
Saw Law & Order last night...he WAS L&O...
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 11:11 am
He was too young to die…I remember seeing him on a talk show about a year ago; he said he wrote a poem for his wife everyday before he left for work.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 11:15 am
I was a bit addicted to Jerry and Law & Order for a while. Figgered out how to watch 3 episodes a night and still get enough sleep to work the next day.

I miss him already. <huge sigh>
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 11:51 am
Very sad to hear that. I am a big L&O fan and he was a favorite. I had no idea he was ill at all, just thought he had decided to retire.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 02:56 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
As everybody on A2K probably knows, I am a "Law & Order" freak. Jerry was like a friend in my house, practically every day, for many years.

I loved Jerry, too and will miss him, very much.
:wink:
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 03:41 pm
I only knew Jerry from Law and Order, but he really made that series work, he will be missed by a lot of people.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 04:08 pm
The Law & Order role was kind of a midlife career change for him. Prior to that, most of his experience was in Broadway musicals. He had a great, well-controlled deep baritone voice, almost a basso profundo. Nobody could sing "Try to Remember" from The Fantastics like Jerry Orbach.
0 Replies