Mickey Art Print...any input please?

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 04:26 pm
My girlfriend adores Mickey Mouse, so I was thinking of buying this art print for her (linked below from ebay) and have it framed as something special for her birthday in a few weeks. Being the pop culture icon he is, I'm aware of some Mickey art from the likes of Peter Max and Andy Warhol, and I wanted to get her something that was a bit more "grown up" than your standard kiddie Mickey.

You can see it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=144&item=6500862690&rd=1

Which leads me to several questions, based on the seller's description:

1. He says the Mickey is drawn in a sort of Belle Epoque style...what exactly defines Belle Epoque? Am I right in thinking it's that vintage style where you often see planes, boats, etc, from the early 20th century?

2. This is an art print - what difference is there really between a so-called art-print and a garden variety poster? Is it the printing technique, heavier paper, or...? Also, part of the heading says "Disney art lithograph"....is an art print really a lithograph?

3. Don't speak a word of French - I know "chapeaux" is something akin to hat, but what is the meaning of that phrase in the print, "Chapeaux Mousesant"? I did a search of the word chapeaux at www.allposters.com (where that mickey print is also available) and came upon what seems to be a very popular vintage poster with the words "Chapeaux Mossant" on it. So apparently, it's meant to be some kind of fun wordplay based on that other print. Can't display the link because it won't let me, but you'll see it if you write the word at allposters.com.

4. Just as a subjective opinion poll...do you like the print? What do you think of it as a gift?

Thanks so much for your input! Cheers...!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,248 • Replies: 4
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:13 pm
If you like it and think it is worth the price buy it. Prints can be easily reproduced but I did not think the seller was making any wild claims that the print was worth more than $20.00.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:47 pm
Belle epoch, if I recall correctly, usually refers to a style of advertising art that was popular in the early 20th century.

A real lithograph will usually have a plate mark - where the litho stone was pressed to the paper. It is kind of a little indentation. For the price this guy is asking I wouldn't expect a real lithograph.

Chapeaux is definately "hat" but I don't know about Mousesant. Perhaps it is just what they call Mickey Mouse in France?

As for my take on what I think of the poster as a decrotive object and a gift I think its wonderful.

Walt Disney has long been a hero of mine. I have a cool poster of a young Walt casting a shadow shaped like Mickey hanging on my wall right now!

If your girl loves Mickey she will love you for thinking of such a gift. Frame it up cool and you will be kissed!
0 Replies

zandunga

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:11 pm
Thanks for the replies...ok, I think I got it (the part about the French wording, at least).

This is the original, a vintage ad for Mossant hats (chapeaux mossant):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3885&item=7123731011&rd=1

So after some searching, it turns out that Mossant is a brand of hats that was being advertised ..."mousesant" doesn't mean anything then, it's just a cute wordplay...it sounds the same, just that with the word 'mouse' in there, it makes a reference to Mickey.

Either way, any opinions or input on the other questions are still appreciated!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 12:06 pm
1. Literally means "beautiful age" in French -- the period of late 1800's - early 1900's very ornamental decorative art in architecture, clothing, etc.

2. Calling it an "art print" means virtually nothing. A real art print is one where the artist creates the plates and pulls the print. This is a commercial lithograph (photo-offset) with plates made through computer or over twenty years ago by photo mechanical scanning.

3. You appear to be right.

4. Perfectly good choice for a gift. A Warhol Mickey Mouse print (not created entirely by his hand, BTW, as he used a print studio) is $30-50M.
Warhold readily divulged in documentation that he didn't exclusively produce the limited edition prints of the late 80's. Peter Max is even more commercial and marketed in chain galleries.
0 Replies