Lord of the Rings the movies, overrated?

Ray

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 02:16 am
I think this trilogy is overrated. It just seems so melodramatic when they talk, and I don't know, I just don't really feel the movie you know? Rolling Eyes

I mean when I saw the first one in theatre, it was alright, but it just seems to lack something... Don't get me wrong, the movies are good, but they're not as good as everyone makes it seem to be.

Anyone else feels this way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,721 • Replies: 61
No top replies

Don1

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:14 am
I cant put my finger on it, but I seem to feel as you do Ray, I thought they were a bit "overdone" whatever the word is I'm looking for I didn't particularly enjoy them.

I find that most films dont quite live up to the months of hype that precede them.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:13 am
I love them but then I loved the books - the films are so true to the feel of the books and brilliantly shot. So I have to disagree.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:22 am
I feel the same way. The films did nothing for me.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:40 am
I see dead people.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:50 am
I only saw the first film which I felt became tedious at the end. The battles with monsters became repetitious. At least one battle could have been cut and then I would have been able to leave the theater at least twenty minutes earlier.

When I tried to read the books in high school, I was disappointed. The characters were too furry and animal-like. I felt like I was reading a "talking animal" story like "Winnie the Pooh".
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 10:38 am
I am not a LOR fanatic and I thought the last of the films could have easily been two. But I really enjoyed the films for their production values. On the whole I thought the trilogy was a plus. I have always thought Tolkin needed an editor. LW and I have gone round and round on this so to repeat I Liked all three of the films
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 11:09 am
The extended version is like two films, clocking in at over four hours! The fate of Saruman (Christopher Lee rejoice! -- he was dissapointed that he was left out of the theatrical version) was shot in new footage (these are not cutting room floor extended versions) as well as other storyline details that were in the book (I don't want to offer any spoilers). I recently reread all three books for the third or maybe fourth time and although I would have while I could see some editing here and there, this is an epic fantasy that builds an entire world, not just tell a tale. If one isn't well read in fantasy literature and has never read the novels, I can see where it might not impress. This has been argued on these boards almost to ad nauseum -- just enter "Lord of the Rings" in the search. One cannot ignore the overwhelmingly good critical and box office success of the films (see the latest box office article from Variety, bemoaning that there is no "Ring" to bring the Holiday box office over-the-top). So be privileged to not like the book or the films -- it's a free country, but once again taking pot shots at the phenomenon of LOTR has become superfluous.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 11:24 am
(I think I'll bring back let's bash "The Passion of the Christ." NOT).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:00 pm
We spent the day yesterday watching all three extended DVDs. It was pretty amazing to see the whole story and the world unfold all at once, back to back. In all, it clocked in at 12 hours exactly. After that, we decided to pass on a game of Risk: LOTR version. Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:26 pm
Was it a pajama party?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:40 pm
It was probably a weekend getaway.

LOTR and Risk? Whew. Brave man. :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:48 pm
Well, like I said, we passed on a game of Risk. I'm not sure a night with the wife and the dog qualifies as a pyjama party, but she does have stick-on elf ears....I'll have to remember that in the future. Wink
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:50 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Well, like I said, we passed on a game of Risk. I'm not sure a night with the wife and the dog qualifies as a pyjama party, but she does have stick-on elf ears....I'll have to remember that in the future. Wink

Oops...sorry...I'm an A-Hole. I thought you said you played the game of Risk. Upon re-reading your post, I find that you said you did NOT play. :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:56 pm
Yeah, we have the LOTR edition, which is really cool, but loooong to play. Plus, I always win, which bothers her, heh heh.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:58 pm
Sounds like fun, though -- I'll have to get it. Get unstuck from chess and Super Scrabble!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:00 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Sounds like fun, though -- I'll have to get it. Get unstuck from chess and Super Scrabble!

It is fun, and I think they have instructions on how to play it in either traditional Risk rules, and LOTR rules.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:16 pm
I've read the trilogy many times and was pleasantly surprised that the film exceeded my expectations. There certainly were gaps for those familiar with the books (no Tom Bombadil) but pleasantly unexpected touches. For instance true to the book during the storm on the mountain engineered by Saruman just as in the book Legolas walked on the surface of the snow while everyone else was bogged down.

In all I was very happy with the rendition and there were vistas that were breathtaking. I gave it a hearty thumbs up.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:16 pm
Neat -- should be some sales on it after Christmas. Now since I have been giving the movies to family members each year, I can give them this next year!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:59 pm
I only saw the last film and it was an awesome experience in the theatre. I don't know how faithful it was to the book...I can't remember...it was so long ago that I read it.
0 Replies