Is figure sculpting dead?

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:12 pm
I originally wanted to be a figure sculptor, reminiscent of the likes of Rodin and Michelangelo.

However, I have been unable to find anyplace that teaches it.

Is figure sculpting dead? Or just unpopular right now? Are we losing the technical traditions involved?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,421 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:27 am
there are one or two good sculptors working figuratively who show here - I can't remember their names just now but when I remember I'll send you their names so that you can google them and find out where they studied.

it isn't my 'thing' so I don't register the names the same as I would with painters - sorry.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 11:43 am
I'm rather sure that any art school teaches such, at least in the beginner's classes.
(One of the reasons, why I liked to have my breaks in the art school's cafeteria was that you passed the windows of one of the sculpture classes going there :wink: )
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 11:47 am
My mom has a B.A. in Sculpture (1950) from the Tyler School of Art in Philadelphia. According to their website, they still offer the degree.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 12:33 pm
Re: Is figure sculpting dead?
Portal Star wrote:
I originally wanted to be a figure sculptor, reminiscent of the likes of Rodin and Michelangelo.

However, I have been unable to find anyplace that teaches it.

Is figure sculpting dead? Or just unpopular right now? Are we losing the technical traditions involved?

Have you been to the Rodin Museum in Paris? it is wonderful. I love his drawings.

Sadly I think that most courses don't cover it in the sense that you mean nowadays, there may be a London one that does -worth researching anyway,

http://www.glarpo.com/artschools.html

probably no good but I came up with this link when I searched
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 06:10 pm
Sure, schools offer sculpture, but degrees in sculpture are almost 100 percent abstract these days. And they work mostly with sheet metal and not stone or bronze. I have seen a bit of figural ceramic work in the grad depts. of some schools, but not much.

Viv - the Rodin museum was one of the glorious experiences of my life. The funny thing is, I walked into it by accident on my way to some palace or something. Had to convince my family to tag along. It was wonderful.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 07:38 pm
PA Academy, Phila Museum SChool, Penn, U Del, bryn Mawr,Penn State Univ at Kutztown, , F/M . Albright, Millersville u these are depts of art with sculpture justt within a 60 m i radius of me. I didnt even check NJ. theres gotta be
lots of assemblage , soft sculpture, carving in wood and resin besides metal,. stone is time consuming and often dangerous. Much "synthetic stone'is made as a mixture of fibreglas and concrete and perlite.
Lots more safety concerns make schools define sculpture as requiring a aSTM course on personal protective devices. i think litigation has gone big time and Universities are sensitive.
Think about how print depts have changed in design and use of media
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:18 am
Portal Star wrote:

Viv - the Rodin museum was one of the glorious experiences of my life. The funny thing is, I walked into it by accident on my way to some palace or something. Had to convince my family to tag along. It was wonderful.

glorious describes it! i just loved the half carved pieces, where the wonderful fluid and delicate heads where emerging from rough blocks of stone - absolutely beautiful. I think if someone let me choose one that I'd choose one of those over a finished piece.

I'd wanted to go there to see his drawings, which I'd loved in reproduction and hadn't expected at all to be so knocked out by the sculpture.

Did you get tot he Marmattan? and the Orangerie? I absolutely loved the huge Monet's but preferred the ones in the Marmattan (Marmottan?)

I'd love to go again with friends. The one major museum we missed was the Picasso
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 11:42 am
(It's the MMM = Musée Marmottan Monet; showing now Jean Puy, btw)
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 12:04 pm
Vivien wrote:
Portal Star wrote:

glorious describes it! i just loved the half carved pieces, where the wonderful fluid and delicate heads where emerging from rough blocks of stone - absolutely beautiful. I think if someone let me choose one that I'd choose one of those over a finished piece.

I'd wanted to go there to see his drawings, which I'd loved in reproduction and hadn't expected at all to be so knocked out by the sculpture.

Did you get tot he Marmattan? and the Orangerie? I absolutely loved the huge Monet's but preferred the ones in the Marmattan (Marmottan?)

I'd love to go again with friends. The one major museum we missed was the Picasso

No, unfortunately not. My family likes art, but you have to drag my brother kicking and screaming into museums. But next time, I'll be there Smile.

I did get to see the Pompidou and the Louvre and the National Gallery in London on that trip. London and France are a blur b/c I went at the same time.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:33 pm
Portal,

if you are serious in your desire than I suggest you make an attempt to work directly with artists whom you admire, I can't imagine anyone actually learning this sort of thing at a university. I could be wrong but it just seems that it would be too time consuming, expensive, and finnicky to be taught that way.
0 Replies