FIRST MAJOR ANTARCTIC ICEBERG BREAKS FREE

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 12:52 am
A part of one of the Antarctic ice sheets has broken free, and is drifting out into open water. Called Iceberg A68 by those studying the Antarctic ice sheets, it's more than 2000 square miles, about the size of the state of Delaware. The article linked below shows NASA images of the monster iceberg:

Gigantic new iceberg the size of DELAWARE is slowly drifting out to sea towards shipping lanes, new images reveal[/img]

rosborne979

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 04:30 am
@Setanta,
Freedom is good. A68 spent far too long under the boot heel of that horrible ice shelf. Now it’s free to wander the southern shipping lanes harassing vessels as nature intended.
blatham

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 04:46 am
@rosborne979,
Yes. Now it will travel with a cloud and an orphaned harp seal. They will face adversity and have wonderful adventures
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 12:41 pm
@rosborne979,
Yes, as Sting put it:

Free, free, set them free
Free, free, set them free
If you love some berg
If you love some ice, set them free
rosborne979

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 06:18 pm
@Setanta,
I can almost hear David Attenborough narrating a new nature episode, "As the baby iceberg struggles and finally breaks free from its mother, the waiting ocean rushes in to surround it. For the next three years we will follow the baby iceberg as it slowly changes from a mountain to a wave... " (the music swells with cut scenes of ocean spray and vistas).

Float baby iceberg, float away.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 07:02 pm
I wish I could have seen it break away, in person, while in the comfort of my easy chair.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 07:50 pm
People were worried about the West Antarctic ice sheet and the Ross ice sheet, so this one slipped in unexpectedly. Prognosticators were also saying 50 to 100 years before major bergs broke loose from those two locations. We're ahead of schedule, folks.
Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 12:25 pm
@Setanta,
What global-warming?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2017 12:32 pm
Aw, come on . . . you know, the leftwingnut fantasy that they're using to ruin decent, patriotic Americans in the petroleum sector?
0 Replies