Warm Vacation Ideas

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 08:45 pm
Thinking of going somewhere warm in Jan. I have about four days (but can extend if needs be) and $1.500. thinking about Brazil. i'm 29, single, male, and going alone. Any recommendations?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,587 • Replies: 33
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 09:14 pm
No suggestions, but I may try living vicariously through you. I'll just listen in.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 09:16 pm
First drinking now living vicariously through me? I'm starting to feel used. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 09:29 pm
I like mexico, but I haven't been there in a while and the sleepy towns of my day are now tourist trappos. So, I'd think about Belize or Costa Rica..

Occam Bill knows a lot about Costa Rica, maybe he'll show up..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 09:32 pm
Sublime - yeah! Funny, I really don't do anything vicariously.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:06 pm
I'm not sure $1.500 (I'm assuming US dollars, right?) will buy much more than the ticket if you're going to Brazil... A couple of months ago I requested a quote from a travel agency for a friend and it was something around U$1.500 for the round trip up until Jan. 14th when fares would drop to about U$900. The currency exchange rate fluctuates around R$2,80, so that's roughly R$1.600 for food, accommodation and everything else in between. With no extravaganza you should be fine, depending on where you go. If you like the tropical beach thing, the Northeast coast of Brazil is spectacular no matter where. There's a place called "Jericoacoara", which is a secluded national park and is constantly visited and occupied with foreign tourists. It has a rustic village, is relatively cheap, safe, has a fun luau type of nightlife and has some of the most breathtaking views. A descent room with breakfast included would cost you roughly U$30-40 per night. There are many places like this one all throughout Brazil; you just have to look for it.

I think Rio might be off your budget just a bit, now, specially this time of the year when things tend to get more expensive. Plus, native vendors can act pretty greedy towards foreign tourists. Remember, when they look at you all they see is a gigantic dollar sign and will try selling you stuff for more than it's worth.

Carnival is right around the corner too, if you can wait 'til Feb...
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:08 pm
osso- Did the Mexico thing, looking for something different. Looking for somewhere where the locals are a bit more welcoming, not even sure if a place like this exists but Mexico seemed very much like an us and them type of scenario.

littlek- If you ever make it to chicago I'll give you a "living vicariously" tour
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:12 pm
Thanks sublime!

How about the FL keys? Or Costa Rica?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:16 pm
superjuly-I got the $1500 (american) based on expedia trips to brazil. That seemed to be the average for accomodation and flight. I wasn't taking into account spending (food, drinks, souveniers, etc) I still can't decide if I want to go the nightlife or the laid back trip probably a little of both.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:19 pm
littlek- I am not familiar with either, any pros or cons with these places?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:21 pm
That last post makes me sound like a jackass, of course I have heard of them, just not in a tourist capacity.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:25 pm
A little bit of both sounds perfectly fair.

You said 29, single and traveling alone?

Two words for you: BE SAFE. :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:26 pm
I can't help you get to know them better. I've never been either place. But, they're warm. They have that casual island time mentality. I know there's scuba and snorkling in both places. But, I also think they aren't really citified, probably. I'm just guessing on that last point.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:41 pm
superjuly-no worries, born and raised a city boy, I have enough streetsmarts to know what to do and what not to do, unfortunately traveling alone also restricts drinking to some capacity, but I thank you for your concern.

Quote:
They have that casual island time mentality.

That is what I was trying to say in a previous post, Thanks for putting it so eloquently into words. I will have to do some research into costa rica.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 11:20 pm
For four days? Seems like you'd be spending a lot of time traveling and not much time having fun (unless you like airports). The Keys are lots closer, it's fun to drive along the many bridges, there are no strains with a language barrier and you can have either the nightlife of Key West (not huge but there) or the laid-back fishing village life of Big Pine Key, the natural beaches of Bahia Honda or the marine entertainment on Marathon. About $250 or less to go RT from Chicago to Miami.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 11:32 pm
Just buy a couple of prostitutes.
No travelling, you'll have money left over and picking up girls will be easy!
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 11:34 pm
I know four days isn't much time. I am just trying to sneak in a small vacation. Also I have never traveled alone so I figured I would try it in a small dose first. I have heard conflicting stories about traveling alone. My friends brother ended up backpacking across the world by himself for a year and a half and had he best time of his life.Other friends said it was just uncomfortable traveling alone.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 11:36 pm
Quote:
Just buy a couple of prostitutes.

I have already been to Amsterdam. :wink: Although that would warm me up.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 11:38 pm
Lash- In reference to your avatar I was thinking about doing Las Vegas Fear and Loathing style one day.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 11:55 pm
<I was actually going to suggest Vegas.>

Wherever you go--I hope you have a blast!
0 Replies