Warm Vacation Ideas

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 12:06 am
I like travelling alone as well as I like travelling with a good friend or lover; sometimes more, but then I travel now for interest in places' histories, art, architecture, and not for soaking up rays and margaritas. I overdid that when I was younger...
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:27 am
Given the amount of time I have, I think I am going to wait on Brazil until I can do it right. Thanks for pointing out the obvious Piffka. I have narrowed it down to Nawlins' or Florida, still not sure which. I have been to New Orleans twice, once for Mardi Gras, and once for Jazz Fest. I would like to see it in a more relaxed environment. On the other hand the Keys sound like a great time.
Thanks for the replies! Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:42 am
Since you have only 4 days I would suggest any where you can get a direct flight. If you are considering the Carribean, from Chicago you may be able to get a direct flight to Puerto Rico. Another great place for some one single in Florida is South Beach and you should be able to get a direct flight to Miami. Key West is great, but you either have to drive from Miami - a very long, but pretty drive or take a connecting flight to Key West. Another thought would be Key Largo, not so far from Miami, but personally for a single guy, your best bet is South Beach - bonus for you men, lots of topless sunbathers. Tons of places to go out at night.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:44 am
One other quick thought, how about a cruise. Personnally, I do not favor cruises, but for a single guy with a short amount of time, this could a good option. Carnival is geared toward young singles and not as many men travel single on cruises, but many single women do - so you have the numbers on your side. I know one single guy who has made this an annual event and swears by it.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:45 am
I elect for the "Presidential Warm Vacation"

Go to Crawford...alternate sticking your head in the sand and up your ass.....warm as toast and great on a budget....
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:50 am
Linkat- never even thought of a cruise, sounds like a good idea. I will look into that.

BPB- nice and warm but doesn't smell that great and the views are horrible. Very Happy
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 07:14 am
How about the Dominican Republic. Warm, latin and not far away. If you want to see a bit of the country it only takes a few hours to travel the whole country by bus north to south ie. Puerta Plata to the capital Santo Domingo.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 01:09 pm
I hope that all four of your days are wonderful. Can you travel at night, leaving at the very earliest moment? It is a really good idea to go someplace where you get there in one flight and don't have any more time wasted on flying than necessary (was that Linkat's idea?).

Here's a link for the Keys (really a great place, but not much nightlife) -- do you like to fish and hang out on a boat?
Keys Weekly Fisherman

Here's another showing a bunch of aerial shots of several different keys --
SkyPics
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 11:50 pm
I think its going to be Clearwater Beach, Fl. My friends dad has a hotel and he thinks that he can squeeze me in, I'm waiting to find out what dayshe has open.

Piffka-Have a great fishing trip lined up for early june. I'm going to the boundary waters in Minnesota/Canada for five days. Went last year and had a blast. Only canoes are allowed on the rivers we were on and we were in the middle of nowhere, camping, cooking, and drinking. I caught my first northern there last year.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 04:10 pm
Sounds like a great idea, sublime. Nice to have a contact person... 'specially one who can help you find a place to stay. So you've got that, plus it's close -- can you fly direct to St. Petersburg? So, it's not Brazil or anyplace too exotic, but it is on the beach and near some fun nightlife. Have a wonderful, warm & sunny time.

Mr.P did a boundary waters canoe trip with friends when he was in college and loved it more than any other trip he's ever done (or at least has talked about it more Wink ). I hope it works out well for you, too. Northern Pike and Muskies... that's what you're supposed to be fishing for, right?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:50 pm
Quote:
Northern Pike and Muskies... that's what you're supposed to be fishing for, right?

You got it. I snagged one of each but I also caught a lot of small mouth bass and a couple of large mouth. The smallies were on the beds, it was like shooting fish in a barrel (pardon the pun Smile ) We are all looking forward to going back.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone and Happy New Year!
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:21 am
My flight leaves at 6:30 tomorrow morning, I can't wait. Only downside is I'm seeing Buddy Guy tonight and the concert lets out at 2:00 and I have to be at O-Hare at 5:30. I guess there will be enough time to sleep when I die.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 11:31 am
I once had a similar situation. My flight was something like 5:00 or 6:00 in the morning. We went to a party the night before and had one of the party goers drop us off at the airport on their way home. There was only a few hours before we had to check in anyone after the party ended. You can sleep on flight – that’s all you need and later on the beach.

Have fun and get warm for us.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 11:38 am
I think that staying awake is the only solution for tonight. A two hour nap is just dangerous when there is a flight to catch. Plan on sleeping on the plane. Looking forward to the warm weather the highs are only in the 70's but a lot better than the 17 degrees it is in chicago.
0 Replies