Excessive Cruelty In Movies Ought to Be Banned

Foofie

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2017 01:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

What gets me, that show never quit airing. It's on a channel, somewhere, every day.

Probably they are considered classics and people remember specific episodes, like the one where she was stomping grapes in Italy, or doing something with candy on an assembly line. Plus, her neighbor Ethel Mertz was, I believe, an ideal good friend neighbor. It has timeless appeal, I believe.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2017 08:36 pm
@Foofie,
I liked the Long Trailer too. I enjoyed Lucy in that one.

My craziness about the Ricardos: every damn day, she was up to something. I likened it to long-term abuse. I wanted to save Ricky from a life rife with cruel dishonesty and madcap shenanigans. He was working so hard, half the night, plus practicing new bits and songs at the nightclub during the day. It was a grueling schedule, and I thought he deserved a good wife. He desperately needed a peaceful home life, but Lucy was always up to no good. Her premises were never logical.

I really thought I knew what Ricky needed. I was about 6.
Foofie

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 01:24 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I liked the Long Trailer too. I enjoyed Lucy in that one.

My craziness about the Ricardos: every damn day, she was up to something. I likened it to long-term abuse. I wanted to save Ricky from a life rife with cruel dishonesty and madcap shenanigans. He was working so hard, half the night, plus practicing new bits and songs at the nightclub during the day. It was a grueling schedule, and I thought he deserved a good wife. He desperately needed a peaceful home life, but Lucy was always up to no good. Her premises were never logical.

The original Lucy episodes were pre-women's liberation. She was trying to be part of Ricky's interesting life as a man in the '50's oftentimes. Many a woman would rebel today if they were supposed to stay home and dust and cook and shop, in my opinion.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 01:37 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I thought I knew what Sean Connery needed when I was about 6 Wink
chai2

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 01:55 pm
Lash, it's funny how different people perceptions are of silly shows like I Love Lucy.

I didn't particularly care for Lucy, but I sure as hell didn't care for Ricky.

Today I can appreciate a few of the classic Lucy episodes. For instance, Lucy & Ethel in the chocolate factory, and the Vitameatavegamin Girl. They never made me laugh out loud though.

There were a couple episodes that actually scared me. The Martians invasion and Lucy McGillicuddy and the two headed dragon that got to eat a McGillicuddy once every 30 years come to mind.

I guess because I have no interest in show biz, I couldn't see what was the big deal about Ricky and the club, or for that matter Lucy always wanting to perform at it. In my mind Ricky sort of sat around all day and came home to yell at Lucy. Albeit for good reasons. I never really like mad cap/pratt fall type humor, even as a kid. The Mr. Spock in me was confused why Lucy kept trying such illogical things.

Ricky was never nice to Lucy. I thought he was cruel, unpredictable, and unattactive. He looked like a bug eyed pug dog to me. I couldn't figure out why they were married.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 03:17 pm
I was a bit put off that Ricky would sometimes begin the process of giving Lucy a spanking, like she was a kid in trouble.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 03:30 pm
chai2

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 05:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
oh yeah, I remember that.

I especially find it sneaky that he was laughing with her, then suddenly turns nasty and hits her.

Hmm. This guy was probably very influential in my choice of men. I've certainly never been attracted to the "latin lover" type.

Actually, Ralph Kramden was a definite influence on me. He reminded me too much of my father when he would fly into those unpredictable rages. My fathers though, were generally fueld by alcohol, or the hangover. I'm sure that's how I developed my childhood hypervigilance. All I know is I really didn't like Ralph. He made my stomach tense.

I watched the reruns though, because of Art Carney.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 05:58 pm
@chai2,
Good choice!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 06:28 pm
@chai2,
I thought Ricky was so handsome and long-suffering. I was primarily in love with my daddy during that time, and he looked sorta like Ricky to me: large dark eyes, lots of hair, and straight white teeth.

The 'type' stuck though I did eventually give up on marrying daddy.

I remember moving on to Robert Kennedy. He was skinny, but I liked his unkempt hair and he looked like he needed a good woman.

I'm so surprised, thinking back, what I thought of my future role with men.

They needed caretaking, and I was completely convinced I'd be great at it. Not at all like the relationship I saw modeled by my parents. They sang together on family car rides, danced together spontaneously.

I thought marriage was more like the woman's responsibility was to adequately feed a man and not cause him grief. I think Lucy did that to me.

It is funny to revisit those perceptions.

Sean Connery was a handsomer Ricky. Bigger eyes. I don't think he was on my radar until much later in life.
chai2

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 07:41 pm
@Lash,
Sean Connery was an international spy and everything. You didn't have to cook for him, or clean the bathroom. You could however, take a bubble bath and wait for him to show up.

Yeah, cool subject to think about, what our ideas of what being the woman in some mans life would be.

My other big crush was Robert Wagner, when he played Alexander Mundy, international jewel thief.

Hmmm....there seems to be a theme here. Laughing

Oh sure, 007 would scrap with a woman, but they knew jiu jitsu and **** and could hold their own.

Alexander Mundy, as far as I can remember, just made goo goo eyes at ladies, and sometimes kissed them before he swooped away.

Yeah, so basically I wanted to sit in a bathtub all day and have men break in on me so I could grab a towel and squeal.

Marriage did not seem to be necessary for that.

When I did think about being married to someone, vis a vis TV shows, I wanted to be Laura Petrie, except without Robbie, the kid.

Rob was a nice guy, he wrote comedy for a living, but he wasn't always trying to be funny at home. Laura drove him to the train station in the morning while wearing her bathrobe and dropped him off. It seems to me she could have gone right back home and got back into bed. She occassionally got dressed up in a cute suit and pillbox hat and visited Rob at work, but other than that, it seemed she pretty much had the day to herself. Maybe a half an hour before Rob showed up at the end of the day Laura could go to the store and get a rotesserie chicken and a cake, and pretend to be taking it out of the oven when Rob showed up.

Yep. That's the way to do it.

Oh ****, I just remembered my favorite episode with Laura. She was taking a bath, and got her big toe stuck in the faucet.

I'm pretty sure it was a bubble bath.

chai2

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 07:49 pm
Laura: Um Robbie? Don't you have to be leaving for school now? Maybe one of your friends could have you stay for dinner at their house. Damn this is good coffee.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/6b/0e/ea/6b0eeaff5d3071be5dc25c0ce74e685e.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 12:39 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Sean Connery was an international spy and everything. You didn't have to cook for him, or clean the bathroom. You could however, take a bubble bath and wait for him to show up.

The other 007 Roger Moore was quite happy to spank women too, albeit as Simon Templar.

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 01:07 pm
I always felt Lucy's behavior to be disturbing, like she was emotionally retarded, more like a five year-old. Watching the show as a kid made me uncomfortable.
Likewise, the Honeymooners with Ralph Kramden emotionally abusing his wife and threatening violence every episode. My father ate it up, but my mother didn't seem to appreciate the attempt at humor.

Now, imagine Lucy being married to Ralph Kramden. It would be like two 5 year-olds married to each other.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 01:12 pm
I heard-but it may not be true--that in the movie Hatari with John Wayne--the lion, Clarence the cross-eyed lion, was made that way with a surgical procedure. If it was true, then that's animal abuse. I always avoid that movie--which seems to be running constantly on tv.
0 Replies