Rebuilt engine less likely to have problems?

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:46 pm
I posted the question about the headblock...it was suggested that I just buy a used car. Isn't a rebuilt engine alot more dependable than somthing I would find if I just bought a used car?

I don't know much about cars other than not having one isn't working out for me Smile How good are rebuilt engines <on average>? Would a rebuilt engine last me a considerable amount of time longer than if I were to just buy another used car of the same type?

Thanks again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 924 • Replies: 1
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:46 pm
It really depends on who did the rebuild, how much time they spent, and the components they used. Factory assembly techniques are a darn good substitute for the sometimes nonexistant craftsmanship you are apt to find locally. On the other hand, most rebuilds are also from factories.

At one time, serious dirt daubers (roundy round racing) all started with used blocks and heads, on the theory that the castings were well aged and stabilized so dimensions would not wander off after machining. This may still be the case, but few of us can afford the cost of that kind of rebuild.

On balance, though, I would be somewhat inclined to go with the used vehicle, if it is in good condition. If nothing else, the rebuilt engine still needs installation, and you had best know a good mechanic.
0 Replies