Why does my cursor float around on its own volition?

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:45 pm
It just wanders around the screen without me touching it... Very weird... Does it indicate a virus or some glitch or what? Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 15,732 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Lash

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:46 pm
GET OUT OF THAT HOUSE!!!!

<hee>
0 Replies

starxidiam

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 03:23 pm
cursor
yea mine does that too i have a logitech laser mouse (its white) and i replaced it cause i hate the ones with the ball. and sometimes it will move to the corner of my screen BY ITSELF. and once i move the mouse it goes normal again.. WHEN i play WOLfenstein enemy territory it will move randomly and it is VERY ANNOYING someone help
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 03:29 pm
If you're using a "laser" mouse (the correct term is, i believe, optical mouse) make sure that the area on which you place it is clean. A single human hair in the area of the reflected light can make the cursor go whacko. Keep the underside clean, keep the portion from which the light shines clean in particular, and keep the surface upon which you are using it clean. A good optical mouse is going to react to a very small dust mote or hair . . .
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 03:31 pm
Lash wrote:
GET OUT OF THAT HOUSE!!!!

<hee>

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 03:44 pm
Most likely the problem is physical and with the mouse itself - if its a mechanical one, could be built up grunge on the ball and the rollers/contacts (easily cleanable unless the rollers/contacts are way worn), if its optical, as mentioned by others the sensor assembly could be dirty, or it could be the surface you're using for the optical mouse is too reflective. Try a no-frills generic PS2 mouse, on a clean mouse pad, and see what happens - betcha the problem goes away.

And yeah, its always good to get out of the house once in a while - sound advice there Laughing
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 02:59 pm
Setanta wrote:
If you're using a "laser" mouse (the correct term is, i believe, optical mouse)

Unless you have the same mouse I have.
:wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 03:01 pm
That could well be, Helio . . . although i'd suspect the problem is still caused by the same effect . . .
0 Replies

beachboy72

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 12:43 am
Bluetooth laser mouse pointer floats around
Hi

I have the new laser mouse from logitech, NOT an optical, but maybe the problem appears there too?

Sometimes not so often like every 5h the pointer starts floating away, sometimes when i move the mouse it comes back but sometimes it takes like 30 sec! and the precision can be bad too sometimes, like a "little float".

My computer is 1meter from the mouse, so i don't blame it on a bad connection.

I HATE it when i play poker online and cant call...or raise..

I guess it could be something with the USB, or with the bluetooth key, energy savings, i have tried some but its still there...

HELP PLEASE
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 08:37 am
I thought it was a bug in the OS. I'm on a Mac and I read (I think!) that the cursor thing is a problem in Panther but it's been fixed in Tiger. No?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 01:14 pm
Re: Bluetooth laser mouse pointer floats around
beachboy72 wrote:
Hi

I have the new laser mouse from logitech, NOT an optical, but maybe the problem appears there too?

Sometimes not so often like every 5h the pointer starts floating away, sometimes when i move the mouse it comes back but sometimes it takes like 30 sec! and the precision can be bad too sometimes, like a "little float".

My computer is 1meter from the mouse, so i don't blame it on a bad connection.

I HATE it when i play poker online and cant call...or raise..

I guess it could be something with the USB, or with the bluetooth key, energy savings, i have tried some but its still there...

HELP PLEASE

I've just had a look. Logitech laser mouse... Is it a cordless one? It seems to me that it's similar to an optical, but yeah, apparently the package on one of these things states "optical is obsolete."

Seeing as it is more sensitive to surface detail than an optical mouse, try cleaning the surface a bit more.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 02:42 pm
I tend to think Radio Frequency Interference plays a major part in such symptoms - the way things work, that explanation makes the most sense to me. Unfortunately, if the problem is intermitent, confirming the cause and tracking down the source typically will be frustratingly problematic.
0 Replies

butibum

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:16 am
I guess you are running a Windows system. On my Toshiba laptop, with SuSE Linux 10, the ACPI component which checks and updates the battery/charger status of the machine has an argument with the USB mouse and the cursor "regularly" goes for a wander. Not sure how regularly but every hour or so I guess. It could be possible that the power management under Windows does something similar?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:44 am
Howdy, butibum, and welcome to A2K - glad you found the place, and hope you find it worth your while to stick around. Sounds to me like what you've got going on there is IRQ Confilct - might wanna snoop around some down that alley.
0 Replies

butibum

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 01:37 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Howdy, butibum, and welcome to A2K - glad you found the place, and hope you find it worth your while to stick around. Sounds to me like what you've got going on there is IRQ Confilct - might wanna snoop around some down that alley.

Hi Timberlandko
I did quite some hunting for answers. It only become obvious after an upgrade from SuSE 9.2 to 10.0, this was a jump in the kernel version and it seems that the acpi modules (acpi is still very much w.i.p. under Linux) have some problems with 2.6.x (x is unknown!!) kernels. Disabling certain parts of the acpi/power management has worked for some people with certain types of laptops but this Toshiba is resisting. Things are improving and hopefully acpi and the kernel will soon get back "in sync".
Thanks for your welcome and suggestions, regards from the snow
Martin
0 Replies

Spikend

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 02:57 pm
I do also have Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse.
I have not experiensed any problems with it. The simplest thing is:
1. Clean the surface it's used on
2. Don't sit on your computer way to many hours at the time, (it needs rest Razz )
3. Reeinstall the driver and be sure to read the manual. Not sure with yours, but i have a stationary pc and there it was recommended to use the PS/2 slot.
4. Wait a bit longer if someone else has another idea.
5. Call Logitech support/head for the store you bought it (if not on internett).

Good luck Very Happy
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:56 pm
This happens to me once in a while with my Logitech wireless mouse as well. It hasn't been too big a problem because it usually goes away when I "shake" the mouse a little bit, i.e. roll it around randomly. The signal miscommunication "butibum" mentions makes sense. Does it happen with other types of mouse as well?
0 Replies

jerrycarroll

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:19 pm
floating mouse
make sure you are using a optical friendly surface.
paper or wood top (even the fake kind) will cause it to float as will uneven surfaces.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:46 pm
I just discovered what was happening! It wasn't the mouse or the OS system. It was the mousepad, old and shiny from use and the light from the optical mouse was bouncing around on it and off of it. Once I replaced the mousepad, the wacky cursor was a thing of the past.

It took me two years to figure that out!!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:25 am
eoe wrote:
... It was the mousepad, old and shiny from use and the light from the optical mouse was bouncing around on it and off of it ...

It took me two years to figure that out!!

Laughing Pay attention, will ya -
Back in [url=http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1697349#1697349]November of '05[/url], timber wrote:
... or it could be the surface you're using for the optical mouse is too reflective ...
0 Replies