In Case of an Emergency - Action Plan For Your Home

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 05:51 pm
American Red Cross - Three Simple Steps to Preparedness

My house is not ready for a disaster not at all. But I am thinking about it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,675 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 10:30 pm
I try to maintain a reasonably well-stocked booze supply for me, and plenty of food and kitty litter for my feline companion. Everything else is up for grabs, I guess...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 11:57 pm
Sounds reasonable to me D'art. My plan is similar but I have both a cat and a dog. I guess it would be different if I had human kids.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 12:56 am
I figure that the only safe place in my house is my walk in closet. Imagine spending my last minutes on earth trying on clothes! Very Happy
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 04:06 am
How can you prepare, if you don't have any idea what you're preparing for? After reading the "guidelines" published by the Government, I can't help but wonder what imbeciles are in charge today! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:03 am
New Haven- I think that the guidelines are all part of the P.R. In Florida, we have guidelines about food, water, communications, etc, that we get every year in case of hurricaines.

Even if one were to buy plastic sheeting (my husband has enough duct tape in his workshop to wrap a mummy), and makes templates of all the windows, how do you know where you are going to be if and when an attack hits? If an attack is during the day, the vast majority of people will be at work or in the stores, or in my area, on the golf course.

On another thread, some members likened this advisory to the bomb drills that we had in the 1950s. I think that it is smart to prepare as far as food, water, communications, and protecting valuable papers, but most people do that as a matter of course, anyway.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:35 am
Good morning Phoenix I am simply following the earth quake drill I learned in California. Keeping water on hand and some comrats in case of emergency. In CA at least no one will have to run out a buy anything, well maybe duct tape, because earth quake preparedness is routine.

I to am reminded of those childhood nightmares of potential nuclear attack. I worry for the children.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:41 am
JoanneDorel- One thing I can say- I would not want to be a child in these times. I am very concerned about the instability of the entire world. Things were awful in WWII, but I think that the advanced technology that now has given us so many wonderful things, may just rear up and bite us in the ass!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:51 am
My memories of the 50s in grade school are very vivid and have been long not thought of. But those feelings are recalled within me. The main thing I remember is the fear of being separated from my family.

The only difference between now and then is we had a ritual, under the desk, ball up like a bug, hands over the back of our neck and the regularity of the Monday at high noon sound of the air raid siren. But we were not saturated by the fear on TV at all times. Really between the White House, Congress, TV, radio, and print news this subject cannot be avoided.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:09 am
If you happen to be in a building, bombed by a terrorist, I would encourage you to get your butt out of the building and FORGET about your money,papers, computers, glasses, vitamins, water bottles...etc.

Everything can be replaced , except your life.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:12 am
Joan:

We used to have Air Raid drills every Tuesday in Chicago at 10: 30 a.m.. At this time, the sirens would blare across the city. One season, the Chicago White Sox won the pennant. The sirens were blared that night ( it was a night game). Everyone thought we were being attacked by Russia and thus ran out into the streets screaming and literally going mad...... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:13 am
Thanks for the Red Cross link, Joanne.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:16 am
If you happened to be in your car, in the City, when the sirens went off, you were supposed to get out of your car and go lay down in the street next to the curb. Twisted Evil
0 Replies