2004 Kennedy Center Honors Program 12/21/2004

mac11

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 03:09 pm
On Tuesday 12/21, at 9pm (8pm Central) Caroline Kennedy hosts The 27th Annual Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts.

Actor, producer, writer and director Warren Beatty, husband-and-wife actors, writers and producers Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee, singer and composer Elton John, soprano Joan Sutherland and composer and conductor John Williams will receive honors for the year 2004. Distinguished artists will present spoken and performed tributes at a gala in the Kennedy Center's Opera House.

The Honors recipients are selected each year by the Board of Trustees of The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. The recipients are recognized for their lifetime contributions to American culture through the performing arts in dance, music, theater, opera, motion pictures and television. The primary criterion in the selection process is excellence. The Honors are not designated by art form or category of artistic achievement. Over the years, the selection process has produced a balance among the various arts and artistic disciplines.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,294 • Replies: 3
No top replies

mac11

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 03:16 pm
I'm really looking forward to this one! Maybe I'm just getting old, but aren't they notably younger this year?

I am always amazed at the imaginative ways that are found to honor the recipients. Lots of award shows seem to be just for show - you wonder if the speakers have even met the honorees, or talked to him or her since they made some movie together 20 years ago. But this program seems to find great connections between artists, so that the next generation can really participate in the ceremony.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 03:16 pm
Oh, and here's a link that will take you to bios of the artists, etc.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 05:32 pm
Thanks for this post, Mac. I love the Kennedy Center Honors shows. You can always count on good entertainment at these shows. My first thought, too, was that they're getting younger until I saw that Ossie Davis is 87 and Ruby Dee is 80. Laughing My calendar is marked and I have a sticker on my TV so that I don't record the wrong channel.
0 Replies