ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 10:47 pm
Swordfish is delicious. Me, I just like it grilled, with salt and pepper and maybe some lemon...
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:06 am
I love swordfish grilled on a BBQ.

My favourite way to deal with it is to marinate it in an oriental-inspired way: scallions, grated root ginger, chillies, garlic and coriander (cilantro - use the roots/stems - lots of flavour and save the leaves to be eaten fresh) with soy sauce and a dash of sesame oil.

Leave for an hour or so on the swordfish and it becomes amazingly tasty when grilled!

KP
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:28 am
oh wow.
that sounds wonderful kp!!!!

Is swordfish a heavy tasting fish?
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 10:06 am
Swordfish doesn't have a huge amount of flavour of its own. "Subtle" would be a good word for it.

It has a very firm texture, though - rather like tuna (fresh, not canned!) or shark - unlike most fish.

KP
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 10:08 am
kitchenpete wrote:
Swordfish doesn't have a huge amount of flavour of its own. "Subtle" would be a good word for it.

It has a very firm texture, though - rather like tuna (fresh, not canned!) or shark - unlike most fish.

KP

Swordfish is one of the strongest flavored fishes there is. I have no clue what you are talking about. I like to defrost it under running water to make it a bit less strong.

Are you sure you don't mean tillapia, KP?

"Swordfish has a full and versatile flavor. It is delicious alone, with a simple seasoning of pepper and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice, or it can be served with strongly flavored accompaniments. Swordfish holds its own with flavorful herbs such as rosemary and sage. Accompanying sauces can be robust with flavors of garlic, curry, mustard and hot peppers."
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 10:36 am
I suppose it depends on what you call strong!

Swordfish certainly has flavour but it's not "strong", I would say. I think of sardines, anchovies, mackerel, herrings (and similar oily fish) as being strong flavoured.

I suppose that my suggested recipe (above) for swordfish would support the idea that it has a "full" flavour.

Confused myself, now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 10:59 am
I agree with kp on the full, versus strong...
and the scallions, garlic, ginger thing sounds great..
There are probably some good italian recipes for swordfish too.. I think a lot are caught off the sicilian coast.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:13 am
yes, that did sound good. And I don't even like cilantro.

I wonder if the fish tastes stronger when it has been frozen? Because I have only had them when they were frozen for a while.

I'm actually cooking one up for lunch right now, due to our little conversation here.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:29 am
shewolfnm
shewolfnm, A2K's forum has a list of great fish recipes for you to consider.

http://search.able2know.com/Home___Garden/Food___Drink/Recipes/Main_Courses/Fish/index.html
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 03:21 pm
hmm.. thanks for the link BBB
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 05:45 pm
Ok, I cheated a bit for my christmas dinner but.. you may be proud of me as a novice Cav. ;-)

I made salmon. Shocked I bought a 1 1/2 lb fillet, seared it on the sides like you said.. took a pink lady apple, a small piece of pineapple and some seedless red grapes , placed them in a bit of tinfoil and baked them until they were brown and soft. Used that as a topping with a little lemon juice and sea salt/pepper. WOW.. i was impressed with myself on THAT idea. :-)
Portabella mushroom tops. In a big sauce pan I took 3 tops , added about an inch across the bottom of some balsamic vinager, soy sauce and fresh basil. Cooked those for about 40 minutes on a very very low heat. They kept thier thickness but ..WOW.. thier flavor was awesome.
Sweet potatoes with rosemary, cinnamon and about a 1/2 tsp of butter, cooked slowly with a little water to make them smooth. mmmmm. that was good too.
Then I cheated.. I went to the store and bought some snap peas with cilantro, salt and pepper. Those were very good also.
Had raw broccoli/cauliflower for garnish and then a sparkling grape juice.
:-)
I.. did.. well. :-))
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 05:48 pm
Sounds delish shewolf. Nice work! Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 05:57 pm
You were right. That salmon was VERY easy to cook. I was so worried that I was going to over cook it, I had a timer by the stove. Laughing

It doesnt have a strong taste at all. Very mild , and not the -fishy-taste I was expecting. The mushrooms were awesome but they didnt coordinate very well with the flavor of the fish.
I think that is my only complaint about my dinner.
Of course everyone else just loved it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 07:04 pm
The mushrroms most likely didn't match well with the fruit topping. Fruit and fungus do not go well. If you just served the salmon with no fruit, sauteed mushrooms, and something vegetal-flavoured like asparagus and/or grilled peppers, it would probably work better. For that, I would suggest grilling the salmon, and use bone-in steaks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 07:09 pm
I don't understand about the inch of balsamic vinegar... an inch? (a little dab'll do ya...) But I bet balsamic is good with portobellos. Portobellies?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 11:24 am
The mushrooms absorb alot of the vinegar. But I also made 3 tops. So i needed an inch to make sure they all got cooked. But for just one, yeah I could have used just a little bit. I also turned them over and used my fork to sort of squeeze them so they would absorb more. THere was a bit of the vinegar left in the pan so i probally could have cut down on the amount, but it was only about 2 maybe 3 tablespoons left.
Aside from that myself and my family enjoy the heavy balsamic flavor.

in fact.. i think i am going to make some now. :-)
0 Replies