So, I got this new cookbook, new to me anyway. The book fell open to a full color illustration of a roasted chicken with lemons on it, also roasted..
I read on. Sounded simple. I did it. Wonderful. Easily the best lemon chicken I've ever tried. And the best part is, this really simple recipe could be adapted, using oranges, or some other marinade.
The book is here - http://www.bugialli.com/books/intro4.htm
The recipe follows - comments in parentheses by osso
1 chicken, about 3 1/2 lbs. (I got an organic, no hormone, no antibio one, sustainable/chicken raising - splurging.)
2 medium sized cloves of garlic
15 sprigs of italian parsley (or regular parsley) (15 sprigs? some)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (for me, a teaspoon)
To Serve - additional sprigs of fresh italian parsley
- Clean the chicken, removing the extra fat from the cavity. Open the chicken up by cutting it lengthwise through the breast bone. (I had that done at the grocery store I bought it at, no charge.)
- Put the flattened bird in a crockery or glass bowl. (I put it in a big glass baking dish.)
- Squeeze the lemons and pour the juice over the chicken. And the lemon halves to the bowl. (I picked out the seeds with a slotted spoon.)
- Finely chop the garlic and parsley together on a board and add them to the bowl with salt and pepper and the hot red pepper flakes. Let the chicken marinate for 1 hour in a cool place or the bottom shelf of the refrigerator, turning it four times. (I turned it twice)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Transfer chicken to a baking dish. (Mine was already in a baking dish), preferably terracotta, and pour the marinade from the bowl over it. (I sloshed the marinade over the chicken.) Arrange the lemon halves on the chicken (very fetching) and roast for 45 minutes. (Mine took an hour, but I had a 4.1 lb chicken).
- Remove chicken from the oven and serve immediately with a few sprigs of parsley.
OK, talk about easy.
The book above with the recipe in it is NOT the one I have. It is at work, I'll have to double check the title.