Lemon Chicken recipe by Giuliano Bugialli, wow.

JPB

Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:55 am
oooohhhhhh, how terrific. Thanks for the link. They also have a rectangular one but I like the round ones.

decisions, decisions...
0 Replies

Vivien

Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:29 am
mouth watering Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:51 pm
The round one, or one like it, is like the dish pictured in the Bugialli book...
0 Replies

JPB

Tue 4 Jan, 2005 01:34 pm
Unfortunately I just got my credit card bill from Christmas. Think I'll wait a couple weeks for the birthday to roll around. I need to get a tape measure but I'm thinking of the 15" one.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:13 pm
Lemmee go see what my oval glass dish measures, it was perfect, to my surprise.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:23 pm
OK, that measures 9 1/2 x 14", rounding off, as it were.

Hmmm, maybe we should be on a glass dish hunt...
this all being useful if you do split a chicken instead of roasting it as a whole bird.

You're right, the 15 might be better, re squishing, but then I might add another lemon.

I haven't found my own dish (not) on line yet, though I saw them for sale at Horchow about a year ago.

I saw this line of terracotta in the window at a cooking type place in Florence in '99., on Via dei Servi, near the duomo. Went in and ended up picking 5 dishes, but gave a few to pals. They were relatively inexpensive, re italian ceramics, and very colorful. Let me guess that that pie plate thing, with cover, was about $30., maybe less, plus shipping, worth every cent, to me.

This wasn't a high end company via Deruta. Still, I love my Giant Platter.
0 Replies

JPB

Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:23 pm
I feel your pain of having given away the perfect dish. I hope the recipient loves it. Did you ship the items back from Italy or carry them?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:13 pm
The store shipped them...
0 Replies

panzade

Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:15 pm
Nothing like having a tape measure in the utensils drawer osso...
0 Replies

JPB

Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:57 pm
DH went out and shovelled this morning. He came back in and wanted something hot for breakfast. The next thing I new he had heated up the rest of the chicken. I think he was a little dissapointed that I didn't give it to him as a leftover last night for dinner. Guess I have to make that one again!
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 5 Jan, 2005 05:39 pm
I'm making a modified version of your recipe today, osso. I'll report back! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 5 Jan, 2005 05:52 pm
Yayy...
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 5 Jan, 2005 05:58 pm
Yup! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:00 pm
This may well become the "preferred cuisine" of A2kers, osso! See what you've started!Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 6 Jan, 2005 07:21 pm
I did it, osso! Very Happy
Nice, but my "adjustments" will need further adjusting in the future: My chicken was much smaller than that the recipe suggested (being a 1 person + 1 cat household), I think I put in a little too much lemon juice, & I had to adjust the cooking time for longer (possibly my less than state of the art stove).

Anyway, verdict: A very, very easy way to cook a chicken! Tasty! And I think I might need a larger dish next time. I used a glass one like you, but the chicken ended up a wee bit crowded in it.

Question: should my dish have had a lid on it? Would that have quickened the cooking time?
Another question: what do you think of substituting tarragon for the parsley? (I'm not too sure about the combination of parsley & lemon, though. Confused ) I ask because I have lots of tarragon at the moment & parsley pretty much all year around.

Anyway, thank you, osso! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:08 pm
msolga wrote:
I did it, osso! Very Happy
Nice, but my "adjustments" will need further adjusting in the future: My chicken was much smaller than that the recipe suggested (being a 1 person + 1 cat household), I think I put in a little too much lemon juice, & I had to adjust the cooking time for longer (possibly my less than state of the art stove).

I speak from a one woman one dog household, but then I like leftovers.

First time I did it, I think I had the oven a tad low, and cooked it longer, and it wasn't entirely like the picture, which had somewhat browned lemons... and mine weren't;
and the second time, with the oranges, I put the oven higher and had to take out one or two burning orange pieces. So, let's say watch it.

Anyway, verdict: A very, very easy way to cook a chicken! Tasty! And I think I might need a larger dish next time. I used a glass one like you, but the chicken ended up a wee bit crowded in it.

Question: should my dish have had a lid on it? Would that have quickened the cooking time?

I wouldn't lid it, that would make the thing steam, and what we are after is a relatively flattened chicken roasting away...

Another question: what do you think of substituting tarragon for the parsley? (I'm not too sure about the combination of parsley & lemon, though. Confused ) I ask because I have lots of tarragon at the moment & parsley pretty much all year around.

sounds good to me, don't see why not, maybe cav will tell us.

Anyway, thank you, osso! Very Happy

Olga, you might check your oven temp. I've checked mine, after my experience with my old oven in Venice, which was about 150 degrees too high. Fastest cookies on the planet...

And mine now is close to true... at least re the gauge.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:09 pm
Oh, and my next adjustment will be for more garlic.

Signed,

Garlic Queen
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:47 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Oh, and my next adjustment will be for more garlic.

Signed,

Garlic Queen

Always open to that suggestion, osso!
0 Replies

panzade

Fri 7 Jan, 2005 01:32 am
I adjusted the lemon down to 3 from the recommended 6...was it 6?
The garlic content was just right
0 Replies

JPB

Fri 7 Jan, 2005 06:57 am
I like the tarragon idea but I would use less of it than the parsley. 15 sprigs of parsley was quite a bit, about 1/3 of a bunch. I wouldn't use that much tarragon but come springtime when my tarragon comes up I going to try it. Yum!
0 Replies